MLB all star selections; if selected should have to play?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
If you are not injured and chosen to be part of the All-Star, should you be required to play?
You've been picked each of the last 13 years and just want to rest, do you get a pass?
The NY Yankees beloved Derek Jeter is at the center of this exact question. He was injured then not but still didn't make the trip to the All star game, wrong or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end he is under contract with the New York Yankees and has a responsibility to them and their fans first and foremost. He had a tough start to the year and lets be honest, didn't deserve to be there anyway. He is making way for younger players so they can get a shot at an all star game also. If the Yankees are going anywhere this year they need a healthy (mentally and physically) Derek Jeter.

If you're selected and healthy you should play. Period. At the very least show up. there's pitchers who pitched on Sunday who will not be playing yet they still showed up....

If you're selected and healthy you should play. Period. At the very least show up. there's pitchers who pitched on Sunday who will not be playing yet they still showed up....

I agree on the showing up part!

I think Dev makes a good point. Jeter is having an ok season, but there are a bunch of guys playing SS in the AL having great seasons both at the dish and on the field. I know Jeter is basically a legend and all, and this happens in every sport, but if you are not having an all-star season, then you shouldn't be an all-star that year.

On the topic of getting invited, being healthy, and not going, I don't like that. I think if you can go, you should. Injuries and personal situations are fine, but not going for the sake of not going isn't fair to the fans or the game. Just my 2 cents.

Should you be required to play? No. There are 83 other players to get into the game. I do think you should show up for the fans that selected you to the team. No matter what MLB is trying to sell, it is an exhibition. If a player is injured or afraid of injury, they shouldn't have to play.

The problem is the ASG become a popularity contest. Is Jeter honestly a top 2 SS in the AL, not anymore. If he doesnt go and someone takes his spot more power to them. Jeter has been to quite a few ASG's in his career, let a deserving player go in his place. My .02

The problem is the ASG become a popularity contest. Is Jeter honestly a top 2 SS in the AL, not anymore. If he doesnt go and someone takes his spot more power to them. Jeter has been to quite a few ASG's in his career, let a deserving player go in his place. My .02

I like your 2 cents.....

I think he should show up. The fans voted him in and pay good money to see him. He does not need to play and can give his spot to a more deserving player but he should show and interact with the fans where possible.

People are forgetting he just came off IR and only played a handful of games. Let the man rest. I would guarantee that not a single person bought tickets to go to the ASG because Jeter was playing.

Honestly I think the MLB all star game is a joke, if the winner gets home field advantage in the world series then why are fans voting. Back to the question asked, I think if they're selected they should play, the NHL instituted a rule with a game suspension if not an excused absence. I know it sounds like high school, but as a hockey fan I appreciate the motivation given to the players to show up and entertain.

Remember when the All-Star game was a big deal? Then it got to where no one cared so they made it so the winner got home field in the WS. And still no one cares. If selected by a manager, you shouldn't have to play, but if voted in, you should play if you aren't hurt. If you've been on the IR but are now off and have played even "a handful of games" then you are done resting. If you need more rest then you shouldn't be playing the regular games anyway. If you can play and are voted in then you should play.

If players have an All-Star bonus in their contracts, do they still get paid for it if they don't show if healthy? If they do, then that needs to be changed.

If you're selected then you should play. You've been voted by the fans IIRC. If you knew you weren't going to show then don't bother putting your name on the ballot or at least let the fans know. It's a popularity contest but still fans pay to show up or choose to spend their time watching. The player on the other hand is getting paid for it.

If you're selected then you should play. You've been voted by the fans IIRC. If you knew you weren't going to show then don't bother putting your name on the ballot or at least let the fans know. It's a popularity contest but still fans pay to show up or choose to spend their time watching. The player on the other hand is getting paid for it.

The players have no say who is on the ballot or not. Fans are silly like that. Even players that are injured get voted as starters. That would not be a deterrent.

The players have no say who is on the ballot or not. Fans are silly like that. Even players that are injured get voted as starters. That would not be a deterrent.

Well that's silly but I guess that's why there are backups.

m-910,

the ballot comes out a month or so into the season. It doesnt account for players getting injured.

It's really not that big of a deal, not sure why people are making it out to be (not directed at you m-910). The guy needs a break. I am sure he is not taking the money as he doesnt need it.

It's really not that big of a deal, not sure why people are making it out to be (not directed at you m-910). The guy needs a break. I am sure he is not taking the money as he doesnt need it.

Why does he need a break? If he needs a break then he shouldn't be playing the regular games. If he's still hurt or otherwise can't play because he needs to "rest", stay out of all games until you are ready. He can play in a game where he is expected to give 100% for 9+ innings but he can't play a game where he only has to go through the motions for three innings? I bet he's taking the money. How are you so sure that he's not?

Really? You don't think one person bought a ticket to watch Jeter!? It's Jeter....

People are forgetting he just came off IR and only played a handful of games. Let the man rest. I would guarantee that not a single person bought tickets to go to the ASG because Jeter was playing.

Why does he need a break? If he needs a break then he shouldn't be playing the regular games. If he's still hurt or otherwise can't play because he needs to "rest", stay out of all games until you are ready. He can play in a game where he is expected to give 100% for 9+ innings but he can't play a game where he only has to go through the motions for three innings? I bet he's taking the money. How are you so sure that he's not?

If he is not going he does not get the money. There were extenuating circumstances for why he played without taking a day off *cough* 3000 hits *cough*.

Really? You don't think one person bought a ticket to watch Jeter!? It's Jeter....

He isn't what he used to be. He is kinda boring to watch these days (not counting 3000 hits). He has no range at SS and is hitting .260 something.

Is this outrage only at Jeter or could we say the same thing about Pujols?

I'm equal opportunity with my outrage.....it applies to everyone no matter what the name is.

Is this outrage only at Jeter or could we say the same thing about Pujols?

Back