PGA Tour Pros in Shorts?

Let me ask this, what's worse, the guys wearing shorts or everyone wearing loudmouth golf pants? We all keep talking about how pants make the person look more professional. So does that mean that you think that John Daly wearing his Loudmouth pants looks more professional then a guy wearing nice golf shorts and a tucked in golf polo? I would pick the guy in shorts every time!

+1 - great point GG!!

Golf professional wear pants while playing, it's been this way and maybe should remain.
This is the uniform of the profession. Comparing to sports that have always worn shorts really hold no relevance. I mean, should baseball players wear shorts instead of pants? Should polo players start wearing shorts? These are sports played in extreme conditions as well.

Joe Oglivy has no juice to force this issue. It really should be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well baseball players are sliding on dirt and grass. Strawberries aren't fun at all. I would say pants are more for their protection.

I say break out the shorts and send JD & his loudmouth(s) home.

Maybank+Malaysian+Open+Round+Two+rqizGy5WXTDl.jpg

Looks like he is wearing a golf onesie haha :D

Even if he wore shorts....50% of ugly is still ugly

I say break out the shorts and send JD & his loudmouth(s) home.

Let me ask this, what's worse, the guys wearing shorts or everyone wearing loudmouth golf pants? We all keep talking about how pants make the person look more professional. So does that mean that you think that John Daly wearing his Loudmouth pants looks more professional then a guy wearing nice golf shorts and a tucked in golf polo? I would pick the guy in shorts every time!

Fantastic point!

Yeah but Texans are crazy

True. But I think people making millions of dollars will be ok. Hydrate and you will be fine. I think they should let them wear shorts though.

I agree. I would much rather see them in shorts. It doesn't get much worse on the golf course than this;

john-daly-pants.jpg

Here in Hawaii the shorts to pants ratio is literally like 20:1. And that's being generous. PGA, get over yourselves!

GG FTW!!!

Update from Ogilvie on Twitter this morning (https://twitter.com/#!/ogilviej/status/90761788362207232):

I don't think we will be in shorts this week, but to change there needs to be a dialogue. I am trying to plant a seed. #shorts

I think that the discussion on here has been pretty good! It seems like most are in favor of shorts, but not in favor of going against the posted rules of the PGA Tour.

Skim alert. I skimmed the last few pages.

I don't have a problem with shorts at all. My point of view is simple, to me anyway. We live in an evolutionary society meaning we evolve and change with each passing generation. My grandfather wore a three piece suit every day of his adult life, that does not mean he expected his children or grandchildren to do the same. When I finished college, engineering and architectural offices required suits. A few short (pun intended) years later, a shirt and tie was industry standard. Now, polos and khakis are the norm. It's just my opinion but just becasue something is done a certain way for years does not mean it is right or has to remain that way.

I agree. I would much rather see them in shorts. It doesn't get much worse on the golf course than this;

john-daly-pants.jpg

Yeah, they even make those in shorts:
rasberrysurebet-shorts.jpg

Yeah, they even make those in shorts:
rasberrysurebet-shorts.jpg

This was going to be my exact point. I can understand the stance that it's too hot but not the stance on fashion. Loudmouth would still make their crazy styles in shorts and the same pros who wear the pants will wear the shorts.

Now we'd have neon patterns with hairy legs sticking out of them.

The materials they can make trousers with today is so light I see no reason why they can't wear them.

I agree! Surely a light coloured pair of trousers made from some type of sweat-wicking material would actually be cooler than shorts?

Anyway, I always wear shorts for casual golf, but I like to dress up a bit for club comps, makes me feel a bit more 'professional'!

I agree! Surely a light coloured pair of trousers made from some type of sweat-wicking material would actually be cooler than shorts?

Anyway, I always wear shorts for casual golf, but I like to dress up a bit for club comps, makes me feel a bit more 'professional'!

Air flow can create temperature change. People usually associate it with shading of the legs because pants do that. Unfortunately they do not offer the same airflow in most cases as shorts.

Air flow can create temperature change. People usually associate it with shading of the legs because pants do that. Unfortunately they do not offer the same airflow in most cases as shorts.

Yep, gotta get ventalation to the twig and berries :D

I missed today's telecast...did anyone see if Ogilvie actually wore shorts?

He didn't.

Wow, what a b*tch Ogilvie. As for the Tour allowing it, I'm indifferent toward the matter. If players want to wear shorts, by all mean let them. If they look like an idiot, let them figure that out on their own, and most of them would in shorts.

shorts on the pga tour

shorts on the pga tour

I was reading an article about the debate of whether pga players should be allowed to wear shorts or not. In my opinion I don't see the problem with it. Maybe some players would play better because the would be cooler and more comfortable in shorts. Shorts are allowed in the lpga, so why not on the pga?

Thoughts?

Back