High Lofted Drivers

Just to throw in my comments on the R-11, when I was fitted at the kingdom the fitter wanted much more height on the launch. He adjusted the R-11 to 11.5* and put in the Matrix Ozik Xcon 5.5 shaft to get that launch. I went from 10 yards behind my regular group to 15 yards in front of them. My SS is in the 90-95 MPH range so I have realized the benefits of a more lofted club, but I have also realized the benefits of the correct shaft paired with that head.

I think Hawk is speaking words of wisdom here. New equipment is fun, but it's probably wiser to take your lessons and develop a consistent swing that works for you, then get fitted for a driver of your choice that works well with what you've learned and how you've developed.

My swing is very consistent. I hit my clubs great. My Nike's are great for me. I just need a higher launch angle with the driver.. The only reason I even threw the lesson thing into the mix is because they could possibly change my swing with the driver.

It's good you discovered this for yourself. I say, whatever works!

Interestingly, I have little luck with a 10.5* 9064 and do pretty well with a 9.5* 9064. I don't hit the 10.5 as consistently nor as long. I keep the 10.5* around just for the fun of trying to figure out why I don't play it as well. I know that is counterintuitive, especially regarding consistency but I think it must just be an example of all of us not being cookie cutter golfers. What works for one does not work for someone else.

Interestingly, I have little luck with a 10.5* 9064 and do pretty well with a 9.5* 9064. I don't hit the 10.5 as consistently nor as long. I keep the 10.5* around just for the fun of trying to figure out why I don't play it as well. I know that is counterintuitive, especially regarding consistency but I think it must just be an example of all of us not being cookie cutter golfers. What works for one does not work for someone else.

It really makes perfect sense. Its about finding the right launch and spin for someone's swing. That is why the old adage of because the pros played 8* drivers back in the day, it meant they were made for "better" players. Now some of the longest hitters on tour play drivers with more loft than 10*.

This is my problem with driver. Teeing the ball for driver I could almost hit an iron. I have to tee it really low and I play a 10.5* R9. Now this very well could be a shaft issue being that I buy them stock, I have never been fitted. It works out ok but as for ball flight, there is almost none. I may have to drive up to GolfSmith this Saturday and try some stuff out. Its a toss up now between another Mashie or new driver, decisions...

I played a 12* for many years, with modern shafts and the proper head I now play 10.5*. At this point in my life I will play what ever gets me the distance, aging sucks when it comes to golf. One plus to waiting is prices get better in the fall when new stuff comes out, deals are to had on what just went out of "style" unless you feel the need to play the latest greatest.

I had never thought of adding a higher lofted driver or a driver replacement for that matter. When I started out everyone was keen on low lofted driver as possible, it's quite interesting to see in such a short amount of time how it all has changed. I like the set up I have now,yields more positive results for my game

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back