Are You a High Spin Player

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
Are you a high spin player and what do you contribute to the spin you get. Do you wish you had more or less spin? This goes from drivers down through wedges.

I am a high spin player and I have no clue why. Some of my wedges are new and my 54 is over a year old and the face looks very worn and it still produces some pretty high spin. This can be frustrating when a pin is at the back of the green and I don't have much room to aim behind it.

I generate a lot of spin with my wedges. I switched to wedges that spin less for that very reason.

I believe I am a low spin player. If I remember right when I was on a LM with JB a the outing I needed a shaft that put me up to about 2700rpms.

I generate a lot of spin with my wedges. I switched to wedges that spin less for that very reason.

I am the same way. Much more control with your shots with less spin. I laugh when I see the pros hit a shot 2 feet from the hole and spin it back 20 feet.

I am not really sure to be honest. At the BS ball fitting I was anywhere from 2400-3300 on the driver. In real world scenarios, I never back up a ball on the green but most 9 irons and wedges stop within 3 feet of the ball mark if not closer.

I think I am naturally a low spin player, especially with my driver. My wedges and irons sit down nicely, but they usually don't spin back for than a foot or two.

I have a high spin with my irons. One reason is sometimes I resort back to the bad habit of flipping my hands/sweeping the ball. Other issue is my shafts (according to my instructor). Both of these can and will be resolved....

Has it made a big difference in your short game? Since I moved, I am playing on all bent greens and they are softer and faster than the bermuda that I came from and I am spinning shots like crazy. How much less spin are you getting with your new wedges?

I generate very little spin on my wedges. I kinda prefer it that way. I just want it to bounce and stop. I have nowhere near the game to be able to play past the hole and spin it back.

I have tons of spin..........off the tee.

Not so much around the greens.

Has it made a big difference in your short game? Since I moved, I am playing on all bent greens and they are softer and faster than the bermuda that I came from and I am spinning shots like crazy. How much less spin are you getting with your new wedges?

Softer and faster? You dont always see that.
I get enough difference to notice it now and I can actually go after flags rather than having to shoot everything passed it.

I am probably considered a medium spin player :D. When I hit one flush, it doesn't really roll much. 8/10 times it lands and is less than 3" from the ball mark on the green. Occasionally when I flush a 50* I'll get some backspin and it will roll back but more often than not it just lands and stops.

I don't spin too many shots back. I like that. Much safer to hit into greens in front of pins.

Kevin

Softer and faster? You dont always see that.
I get enough difference to notice it now and I can actually go after flags rather than having to shoot everything passed it.

Faster is relative really. The greens that I have been playing on are not fast, but they are generally a bit faster than my old home course's greens which were notoriously slow (an endless source of frustration for me as I am better on faster greens). How does the feel of your new wedges compare to your CG wedges? I love my CG's, but, like you, I am having to aim past pins to avoid a very long putt.

Faster is relative really. The greens that I have been playing on are not fast, but they are generally a bit faster than my old home course's greens which were notoriously slow (an endless source of frustration for me as I am better on faster greens). How does the feel of your new wedges compare to your CG wedges? I love my CG's, but, like you, I am having to aim past pins to avoid a very long putt.

They feel different. I always found the CG15s were the spinniest wedge for me I had ever tried (and I have tried and used most). They also offer an incredibly soft impact sound. Something I relate to feel. The sound of the Nikes is a bit different, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I've increased my wedge spin considerably by using Cally X-Forged Wedges with the MD Grooves. However, I also have a lot more golf ball expense, as these things tear the cover off the ball on anything greater than a 3/4 shot.

I would consider myself a high spin player... I usually back up everything from 8I down to LW. I fly my SW 115, but it usually spins back 10-25 feet or more depending on wind direction and pitch of green. As a result, I rarely hit a full wedge shot. Its also one of the reasons why I stopped playing Pro V1s and switched to the Taylormade Red now Penta ball.

What causes spin is the descending blow I put on the ball. A lot of spin can be a good thing (like attacking a pin tucked behind a front bunker) - but I have generally taught myself how to play a lot of knock down shots. I still don't have the arsenal my buddy has - he can hit a deadhanded 9I from 100 yds with no spin to a back pin - but I keep working on it

Are you a high spin player and what do you contribute to the spin you get. Do you wish you had more or less spin? This goes from drivers down through wedges.

I am a high spin player and I have no clue why. Some of my wedges are new and my 54 is over a year old and the face looks very worn and it still produces some pretty high spin. This can be frustrating when a pin is at the back of the green and I don't have much room to aim behind it.

I like spin in the longer irons it's pretty nice to see a 5I or 6I stop within a few feet. The wedges are Ok, two or three feet as long as I don't try to hit them too hard. It is easy does it with wedges. I don't know about driver. It has changed since my knee replacement in March, need to get on a monitor and see what's going on.

It depends on the ball. With a premium ball I would consider myself a med-high spin ball player.

I don't know for sure but pure guessing based off of on-course results I'd say low to medium spin

It depends on the ball. With a premium ball I would consider myself a med-high spin ball player.

I am the same I have more spin with a premium ball compared to a mid priced ball. I was playing few weeks ago with a callaway tour ix and I spun a 9i back about 15 feet and I have never spun a ball like that before. It was cool but I would rather the ball hit the green and hop and stop than spin back 10+ feet.

Seth I'm a high spin player. At my Callaway fitting I found out I really hit down on the ball.. Every shot including the driver which isnt good. I don't back golf balls up though so I don't know.

Seth I'm a high spin player. At my Callaway fitting I found out I really hit down on the ball.. Every shot including the driver which isnt good. I don't back golf balls up though so I don't know.

Are you trying to fix your driver? It seems that hitting down on the ball would be a good thing with every other club right?

I don't know if I really want to mess with it. I still get pretty good dispersion and distance but the only problem is if I'm slicing, I'm OOB. Doesn't happen often but it sucks when it does.

I just don't want to have different swings for different clubs, but I have no idea what to do you know? My instructor just wanted to change my driver swing and I'mnot sure if that's something I can do and be successful.

Are you trying to fix your driver? It seems that hitting down on the ball would be a good thing with every other club right?

I don't know if I really want to mess with it. I still get pretty good dispersion and distance but the only problem is if I'm slicing, I'm OOB. Doesn't happen often but it sucks when it does.

I just don't want to have different swings for different clubs, but I have no idea what to do you know? My instructor just wanted to change my driver swing and I'mnot sure if that's something I can do and be successful.

I understand man. I go through that as well. It is a hard thing when you know you should make a change, but are not getting bad results with the flawed swing and don't want to go through the learning curve yet again. I have that battle with myself every time I go through a lesson.

Back