You were fitted for them and you can't hit them? Go hit the range for a bit and report back.

As long as you were fit for them I would hit the range and see if things get better. If things don't I would consult the place you got them to make sure they are your specs.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

i'm sure the anxiety of hitting new clubs is a big factor in your first few range sessions. Give it some time with your new irons and everything will work itself out.

keep plugging away, it will all sort itself out

I must join the chorus in saying just keep going as well. I just switched irons and the same thing happened to me, it was very embarrassing. It was hard to explain to my girlfriend that my new irons are better than my old ones despite what happened on the range that night.

I'll chime in too: You'll be fine. It is the archer not the bow.

When I purchased my last new set fit to me, they were 1/2" longer, 2* upright, larger grips and a bunch more money. Shank, shank, shank, shankshankshank. I forgot the advice the guy at the shop gave me: Start with 50% swings and work you way up to full swings. It is how I warm up to this day.

Hey guys got myself worried, got a new set of clubs and i tried them out first time tonight at the range and shanked and mishit every ball!
Got my clubs fitted and tried them at the range before buying and i could hit them so well, so i plunged for Titleist ap2's with stiff shafts as recommended! I get them home and i can't hit them for toffee, is this natural? worried i wasted money!

thanks barry

Same thing happened to me with the Di11's. Had a horrible range session. Ended up loving them

Take them to the range a few more times you will get ....Good Luck

A lot of good advice on this thread. I had the same problem when I changed to my Di11s that were fit for me. Hadn't reaslised that I'd subconsciously changed my stance to make up for the extra length (+0.5") and was topping everything. Relax, take your normal stance and swing, and you'll get used to them quickly.

Update guys, went to range today and hit about 15 straight shots from 50balls at half swing and rest were shanked so it was better but still needs lots of practice as they were hit fat!
On my return home I stopped at a local field and hit both my old and new P wedge in longer grass so it was easier to get under the ball but I shanked a few with my old irons aswell which i have never done so i at least know it's something I'm doing just now!

Range tomorrow

Thanks again barry

well after my first range session and 9 holes with my new irons I had the opposite results.

I ended up hitting them well (shocking to me!) at the range and this was with the recent small adjustments made by the GolfTec Pro at my freebie lesson! With large bucket in tow I started with PW unwrapped the plastic and commenced with the festivities. It started off okay and then I really got into a groove. I was practicing my setup for each shot too so it wouldn't be a big downer on the course with waiting and conditions being completely different. I was feeling pretty darn good considering, and though I didn't have the distances dialed in per say I did feel comfortable enough to take to the course for league. Rain set in on about hole #2 and for all intents and purposes i could say this was part of the problem but I won't. I think about 50% of the shots made with new clubs came with respectable results. On the course, I don't think I really setup like I did in the lesson or on the range like I should have and old habits well they just die hard don't they?

All in all though I'm actually super confident with the new sticks, a couple more range sessions (I've got a scramble to play in tomorrow) and hopefully I'll be lowering my handicap!

Moral of that story, stick with it you should see more positive results.

You are going to have to figure out why you are shanking your shots. I assume you know it means you are hitting the ball with the club's hosel. I sometimes have that problem with irons I have been using for years. It's not the clubs, it something you are doing in your swing. Try to concentrate on specifically hitting draws or fades. You have to become aware of where the club face is making contact with the ball. Good luck.

Check the usual things, ball position, how far away are you standing. Are these clubs longer, shorter than what you are used to? Are they heavier, lighter? These are all major changes and take some adjusting. If you were fit for them, have faith and stay positive.

Update guys, went to range today and hit about 15 straight shots from 50balls at half swing and rest were shanked so it was better but still needs lots of practice as they were hit fat!
On my return home I stopped at a local field and hit both my old and new P wedge in longer grass so it was easier to get under the ball but I shanked a few with my old irons aswell which i have never done so i at least know it's something I'm doing just now!

Range tomorrow

Thanks again barry

I see your a 12HC, do you think it could be a mental thing? Being its a new set thats fitted and you want/think you should be hammering balls? Maybe try and clear your head and just go out and hit balls, this helps me when I get in a funk.

I bought some Burner 1.0s last week and hit them pretty good in the store, but on the course didn't do so hot. I just look at it as getting use to them. I do know that I can hit them well because I do have my moments, but I still shank a lot. Maybe one day I will hit more clean shots than shanks.

Sounds like it's a mental problem sins you are now shanking your old clubs too......as Romeo would say....turn your hat around backwards...move your change to your left pocket, step and there and rip one!

I completely understand your misgivings, but congrats on the new irons. I'm sure you will be fine the next time you get out there with them. Good luck and keep us informed.

hey guys

I managed to get out and play 18 today and the irons were fantastic, i hit the ball so well and was surprised! I fluffed i think two shots but the rest were fantastic!

thanks for all the advice

cheers barry

hey guys

I managed to get out and play 18 today and the irons were fantastic, i hit the ball so well and was surprised! I fluffed i think two shots but the rest were fantastic!

thanks for all the advice

cheers barry

I'm glad they worked out for you, it's always easy to think something has gone so wrong, but golf is such a fickle sport you never know what's gonna happen!!! (At least for a hack like me.)

Back