When to switch to blades?

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
I currently hit the '09 burners which I know their a GI iron which my dad brought up the point that with my swing and the way I play it might be time for a new set. So I come here looking for answers. My question is pretty much how do you know when it's time to take the next step and will it really benefit me or will it hurt me in the long run. I have no problems with my current burners but my dad certainly got me thinking about switching. If more workability with the blades is mainly the only benefit then I won't switch I think. I dont know I just need a crash course on the benefits vs the negatives

Thanks

I currently hit the '09 burners which I know their a GI iron which my dad brought up the point that with my swing and the way I play it might be time for a new set. So I come here looking for answers. My question is pretty much how do you know when it's time to take the next step and will it really benefit me or will it hurt me in the long run. I have no problems with my current burners but my dad certainly got me thinking about switching. If more workability with the blades is mainly the only benefit then I won't switch I think. I dont know I just need a crash course on the benefits vs the negatives

Thanks

It's time to take the next step when you hit the blades well and it feels better coming off the clubface. I for one know I'm looking for a new set.

Well, I don't think there is any need to switch if you're playing well with your current set of irons. Maybe try a combo set? People seem to be loving the VR combo's.

There is really no use for straight blades. If you really do want a smaller set or a more set pleasing to the eye. Go with something like a players iron. Something with a cavity but a small topline and a smaller head. An example are Ping's S line, Mizuno MP-57, Nike VR Pro etc.

Once you are awesome, of course.

Why not try hitting a few musclebacks like the TM MBs or Mizuno MP-63s or etc..

Maybe making the switch away from GI to more of a game enhancement club is the ideal next step.. From someone who's played blades and probably won't go back to them, they really aren't all that great when push comes to shove.. The mis-hits and over-worked shots are simply not worth it in my opinion.

And the end of the day, you'll get tons of feedback off of a muscleback.

The day after you ponder R9 irons apparently.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Cavity back players irons?

Maybe I should rephrase the question...

More of a players iron..I've been looking at the R9 tps along with the VR pro combos

My answer - once you want them. That is really the only good reason.

For the record, I look back at the day I bought my irons and think of it as a mistake in the long term. I should be playing GIs.

I like my MB's better than any GI or SGI I've played. I hit them better and get better results. I've tried to hit my SGI's better (I still have them--Adams Idea Tech V3 Hybrid Irons), but it just hasn't worked out that way. Not that I'm a great iron player, I'm not. I just hit the MB's better, i.e., I hit the sweet spot more often, I hook them less often, etc.

But are blades softer than cavity backs?.........:popcorn:

But are blades softer than cavity backs?.........:popcorn:

If they're forged, then they're softer and better than any cast cavity clubs. All serious golfers know that.

I lost the manual for when I could use my old nike blades but I dont think there is any rule. :D try them out and if u like them stay with it. if not then switch back. If you hit it bad on a blade it will be really bad. If you hit it right it will be a sick shot, maybe distance but def feel.

Thanks

I think your Dad just wants your irons... :smile:

Thanks

workabilityness and butter. Whats not to love?

People say blades are super hard to hit, when they really arent. Go for it. Whats the worst that could happen?

Used sets of blades can be had pretty cheap off ebay and other places, so why not just try some out for yourself. jmho, you are the only one that can really answer that question.

I think your Dad just wants your irons... :smile:

HA!! He actually has the 2.0s that I have been jealous of since he bought!

workabilityness and butter. Whats not to love?

Well good question but that's what I'm trying to figure out..is if I'm missing anything or if I should just stick with what I have

People say blades are super hard to hit, when they really arent. Go for it. Whats the worst that could happen?

A ton of money waste..? haha

Maybe I should rephrase the question...

More of a players iron..I've been looking at the R9 tps along with the VR pro combos

Can't comment on the R9' but the Nike's really do cut the mustard

Get the R9 TP's. I think they're great clubs. They look similar to the RXT's at address, are cast, but feel great. I've said it once and I can't reiterate how good they are, but try the RXT's. Super long, super forgiving, but in a sleek package. They don't say Taylormade on them though.

Back