Sports Only A Parent Could Love

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
I have a fifth grader playing football this fall. He's a tall kid, on the offensive line (just like his Daddy was). Fifth is the youngest grade to play real games, and their game jerseys are a motley collection of hand-me-downs. At any given moment, there are multiple kids on the field sporting the same number.

We played an away game with an announcer who was trying his best. Kids love to hear their names. The announcer had our roster, and we were wiping the field with the other team. So we kept getting announcements like, "And 86 scores a touchtown for the visitors! That's either Tommy Turner, Jimmy Jones, or Steve Smith." Over and over. We parents were just dying in the stands.

I have a fifth grader playing football this fall. He's a tall kid, on the offensive line (just like his Daddy was). Fifth is the youngest grade to play real games, and their game jerseys are a motley collection of hand-me-downs. At any given moment, there are multiple kids on the field sporting the same number.

We played an away game with an announcer who was trying his best. Kids love to hear their names. The announcer had our roster, and we were wiping the field with the other team. So we kept getting announcements like, "And 86 scores a touchtown for the visitors! That's either Tommy Turner, Jimmy Jones, or Steve Smith." Over and over. We parents were just dying in the stands.

That is funny as hell!!

That's awesome.

Ha Ha Ha! A similar experience is actually where "Grogger" comes from. My tournament softball team was at a National Championship and I led off for my team. I got in the box and the announcer says:

"Leading off and playing shortstop ... #31 ... Matt [unintelligible]grogger"

He butchered the first part of my last name and "grogger" isn't anywhere near the letters in the rest of my last name.

The guys on my team were all falling off the bench laughing at me. I stepped out of the box and looked up at the guy. He covered the microphone, leaned out of the booth, and said "Sorry about that dude!"

That was 8 years ago and all the guys still call me Grogger.

Smallville, now that you've changed your avatar, you'll have to change the slogan under your name. It just doesn't work any more.

Oh. Yeah. Let's see if I can come up with something. That was actually way back at the Beavis and Butthead avatar.

Oh. Yeah. Let's see if I can come up with something. That was actually way back at the Beavis and Butthead avatar.

I smell a new thread--maybe with a poll?

Back