Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to not give into temptation....yet

yet is a key word, its SethO....he will give in eventually

I am always drawn to the Dark Side. OEM is a Sith lord of golf and I am being seduced by him (please get the Star Wars reference).

See I told you... no preconceived notions going in. Much better that way.

Yeah, I think I will always be better with a blade style putter.

My only problem with my current putter is that I am consistently short on slower greens. I usually have a good line, I just can't get it to the hole.

You'll find something. I have faith in the ways of OEM'ing.

Pondering KBS Hi-Rev shafts for my wedges...

Pondering changing my putter grip to a larger one

My only problem with my current putter is that I am consistently short on slower greens. I usually have a good line, I just can't get it to the hole.

I am with you on that one Seth.. The Newport line seems to always be short for me as well, if anything (especially on slower greens).

I look forward to seeing what you end up with.. I really want to fill the gap between short (Newport) and crazy long (method) haha!

maybe you need more of a mid-mallet? that's the exact reason I changed from a blade to a mid-mallet

I am always drawn to the Dark Side. OEM is a Sith lord of golf and I am being seduced by him (please get the Star Wars reference).

Yeah, I think I will always be better with a blade style putter.

Pondering a set of 6.0 PX Flighted shafts for the old Razr X's.... Found it CHEAP.

Waiting to see what Wedge Shafts are a coming before I ponder that.

I am with you on that one Seth.. The Newport line seems to always be short for me as well, if anything (especially on slower greens).

I look forward to seeing what you end up with.. I really want to fill the gap between short (Newport) and crazy long (method) haha!

maybe you need more of a mid-mallet? that's the exact reason I changed from a blade to a mid-mallet

I have tried to go away from my putter so many times and I keep on coming back because I am so familiar with it. My alignment is great, but my speed has been just a little off. If I go with a different putter, I am definitely going to keep the Anser style, but I will go with a little different loft. This is one reason an NC putter appeals to me as they have a loft of 3º.

nice....that should be a good combo bro

Im pondering the same shafts for the Callaway wedges.

maybe you need a strip or two of lead tape to give your putter a little more 'oopmh?' Might even help your tempo too with the little bit more weight to it which could help release the putter

I have tried to go away from my putter so many times and I keep on coming back because I am so familiar with it. My alignment is great, but my speed has been just a little off. If I go with a different putter, I am definitely going to keep the Anser style, but I will go with a little different loft. This is one reason an NC putter appeals to me as they have a loft of 3º.

nice....that should be a good combo bro

maybe you need a strip or two of lead tape to give your putter a little more 'oopmh?' Might even help your tempo too with the little bit more weight to it which could help release the putter

I could potentially get different weights to put in the bottom, but I also don't want to change the swing weight. Being OCD is not always fun...

Pondering a Left Hand Cleveland Launcher DST Tour driver.
Smaller, 430 CC head
2 degrees open
77g shaft.
59 bucks plus shipping

Don't need it. Haven't been fitted for it. Just want it.

I just went to a local range near the hotel I am at. I was able to hit the Nike Combo and MC 6 irons side by side. They setup both with a DG S300 shaft (This is the shaft that I have now and that the Mizuno shaft optimizer recommended). I really liked the feel of both irons. It was really hard trying to tell a difference between the two irons. I also hit my R9 with DG S300 6 iron for comparison. I couldn't tell much of a distance, consistency or ball flight difference between the three. I did notice the R9 was forgiving of an iron. This is good and bad in my eyes. I want forgiveness, but I want to be able to aim at the fat part of a green and bring the ball back to the hole. This doesn't happen with my R9s and is what I am looking for in an iron. I really wish I would have bought the R9 TP irons. I am debating going with the Nike Combos or the TM MCs right now. I have thought about trying to find a used set of R9 TPs for the moment. A salesman did recommend trying the Mizuno 53s too. Does anybody have any recommended clubs to try that comepare to the Nike Combos or TM MCs?

Bump for suggestions. Thanks everybody.

Tapatalkin

I just went to a local range near the hotel I am at. I was able to hit the Nike Combo and MC 6 irons side by side. They setup both with a DG S300 shaft (This is the shaft that I have now and that the Mizuno shaft optimizer recommended). I really liked the feel of both irons. It was really hard trying to tell a difference between the two irons. I also hit my R9 with DG S300 6 iron for comparison. I couldn't tell much of a distance, consistency or ball flight difference between the three. I did notice the R9 was forgiving of an iron. This is good and bad in my eyes. I want forgiveness, but I want to be able to aim at the fat part of a green and bring the ball back to the hole. This doesn't happen with my R9s and is what I am looking for in an iron. I really wish I would have bought the R9 TP irons. I am debating going with the Nike Combos or the TM MCs right now. I have thought about trying to find a used set of R9 TPs for the moment. A salesman did recommend trying the Mizuno 53s too. Does anybody have any recommended clubs to try that comepare to the Nike Combos or TM MCs?

I like the MC's obviously, but I don't have any experience with the Nikes. I saw the the nikes have a lower profile in the lower irons, but every time I have seen you play, you strike the irons well. If everything is a tie, I say go with the best looking irons haha.

I like the MC's obviously, but I don't have any experience with the Nikes. I saw the the nikes have a lower profile in the lower irons, but every time I have seen you play, you strike the irons well. If everything is a tie, I say go with the best looking irons haha.

Thanks man. That makes it really hard. They both look really great.

Tapatalkin

RAZR X Tour's of course.

Bump for suggestions. Thanks everybody.

I love Mizuno irons a great deal but I don't think the 53's touch the VR Pro's in terms of forgiveness in a players club IMO. I do like how the 53's play in the turf better then the Nike's though (excluding the blade). Whatever Mizuno has got going on with the sole grind is golden on these clubs.

Razr X Tours and Razr X Forged would be up on my list as well as the S3 Pro's or the older Cobra Pro CB's. Take a gander at the Ping i15's and S56's as well.

Don't be put off by the "Forged" of the Razr X's. I found them just as ease to hit as the X Tours and quite nice. Feel isn't quite VR or 53's but it's nice and the PX flighted's in there are nice.

If you're looking at the S3 Pro's I would strongly consider an all CB set. I found the MB's harsh on bad strikes and just weird on good ones. The CB's are money and you can get the older version, which are ther same I believe, for a pretty good discount.

S56's are nice feeling irons that look great but I did find them to be a club shorter then all the other ones on the list (except the Titleist. Those were also a club short) if that makes a difference to you.

If I didn't get the Nike's it was a toss up between the Cobra's and Razr forged for me for what it's worth.

RAZR X Tour's of course.

Agreed.

I'm biased since I am playing them, but you might give the Adams CB2's a look. I'm very happy with them. You could also do a CB2/CB1 set...

I'd recommend the VR Pro Combos, because they are great clubs, but I really don't think switching from R9s to any of these clubs is going to help you work the ball back towards the pin anymore than the R9s. That's just my opinion based on my experience and what I've seen though.

Its interesting to me that you cant aim at the fat part of a green and work the ball towards a pin. Sounds like a swing issue, not the iron.

I love Mizuno irons a great deal but I don't think the 53's touch the VR Pro's in terms of forgiveness in a players club IMO. I do like how the 53's play in the turf better then the Nike's though (excluding the blade). Whatever Mizuno has got going on with the sole grind is golden on these clubs.

Razr X Tours and Razr X Forged would be up on my list as well as the S3 Pro's or the older Cobra Pro CB's. Take a gander at the Ping i15's and S56's as well.

Don't be put off by the "Forged" of the Razr X's. I found them just as ease to hit as the X Tours and quite nice. Feel isn't quite VR or 53's but it's nice and the PX flighted's in there are nice.

If you're looking at the S3 Pro's I would strongly consider an all CB set. I found the MB's harsh on bad strikes and just weird on good ones. The CB's are money and you can get the older version, which are ther same I believe, for a pretty good discount.

S56's are nice feeling irons that look great but I did find them to be a club shorter then all the other ones on the list (except the Titleist. Those were also a club short) if that makes a difference to you.

If I didn't get the Nike's it was a toss up between the Cobra's and Razr forged for me for what it's worth.

Thanks for all the awesome information.

Tapatalkin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back