The Tiger Woods Fan Thread

I find this even more polarizing now that Sean O'hair won.

TC, that's exactly what I thought Sunday!! I'm a Tiger fan and hope O'Hair's win makes him realize he does not need Foley either. To me his swing methods seem too inconsistent. Yes, there was some success last year with Mahan & Rose, but no wins this year. I think that stack & tilt variation he is teaching is hit or miss. I would love to see him go back to the 2000 Butch swing, or at least something similar, but it seems like his knee can't handle it.

Here's a quote from Foley after O'Hair's win.... "It just goes to show with players at this level it doesn't matter who coaches them or helps them out, they are the talent and Sean was fantastic last week".... Fire him Tiger!!!

i wish he could come back healthy and back to normal. his game was so amazing to watch. IMO he still has the greatest shot in golf....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTuhV4v0H4

its number two on this list but i will argue till my lips fall off that its the best shot ever

I'd like to ask the Tiger faithful a question. My thoughts on this are well documented here but i'd be curious to know your thoughts on the Tiger/Sean Foley partnership. Is it good? Will it last?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

First off, thanks for stepping up Anf offering to keep this thread on track.
Second, I love listening to Foley speak about the golf swing. He's very intelligent and I think that's what drew Tiger to him. However, from a few magazine articles I've read, he is also very defensive and outspoken. He doesn't hesitate when it comes to running off at the mouth and that seems to clash with Tiger's secretive personality. I think it's too early to tell if it's good yet. Granted overall time wise it's been a while but time ON the course it's still in the newly wed phase. Tiger didn't win right away with Hank but then they enjoyed a pretty good run. Guess time will tell.

If going by previous comments from Tiger that he can't swing the way he used to, then it makes sense to me to stick with Foley and build a swing he can use now and into the future that won't put as much pressure on the knee and achilles. I would assume that is why he chose to go this path. It's easy to sit back like we do and think why doesn't he just swing like he did in 2000 and go back to Harmon, etc., but there has to be more to it then that.

i wish he could come back healthy and back to normal. his game was so amazing to watch. IMO he still has the greatest shot in golf....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTuhV4v0H4

its number two on this list but i will argue till my lips fall off that its the best shot ever

Totally agree. I remember watching that Canadian Open live with my dad and jumping out of our chairs at that one. And my dad doesn't even play golf.

As for Tiger, I would like to see him come back on fire. I'd also like to see him find a way, and maybe if he gets to Jack's total it could happen, begin to hold that Golf Statesman role that Ernie Els seems to be maturing into very nicely.

I'd like to ask the Tiger faithful a question. My thoughts on this are well documented here but i'd be curious to know your thoughts on the Tiger/Sean Foley partnership. Is it good? Will it last?

What about you TC? If he leaves Foley, for example, who would you like him to hook up with?

I think, to return to as much form as his body will allow, he might have to take a Sergio type break and renew his mind and get back the passion for golf. Maybe find something that he has been missing as a human being and not a golfer. His demeanor has been so different since that November night. I think it will be great for golf and tourney TV ratings to see him winning.

My thoughts have been clear, so this is the "clean" version per the OP's wishes. I think this thread could only happen on THP.

If you had the curtain pulled back revealing a lot of things that the public either had no idea about or suspected were true but never proven you're demeanor would be different too lol

I think, to return to as much form as his body will allow, he might have to take a Sergio type break and renew his mind and get back the passion for golf. Maybe find something that he has been missing as a human being and not a golfer. His demeanor has been so different since that November night. I think it will be great for golf and tourney TV ratings to see him winning.

My thoughts have been clear, so this is the "clean" version per the OP's wishes. I think this thread could only happen on THP.

What about you TC? If he leaves Foley, for example, who would you like him to hook up with?

Man, tough question. I loved Tiger that was with Butch, but his body isn't the same and I fear his swing would never be that way again.

I don't think he needs a coach to be honest. He's very intelligent and knows the golf swing better than perhaps any other golfer. I think he needs to get out of his head and just play golf. Blister balls off the tee, fire at flags, make some putts.

If you had the curtain pulled back revealing a lot of things that the public either had no idea about or suspected were true but never proven you're demeanor would be different too lol

Absolutely! Not saying it is a bad thing, I am just saying that some time off might do him some real good.

Man, tough question. I loved Tiger that was with Butch, but his body isn't the same and I fear his swing would never be that way again.

I don't think he needs a coach to be honest. He's very intelligent and knows the golf swing better than perhaps any other golfer. I think he needs to get out of his head and just play golf. Blister balls off the tee, fire at flags, make some putts.

I completely agree with this! I think he might be his best coach and you know he has cameras to record his swing so he can take an objective view of it.

I agree 100% with the bolded part there TC. I remember in some interview when asked about how his swing/game has progressed over the years that he said he had learned to work the ball more, play around with different types of shots. Then he said when he first burst on to the scene he was playing much simpler, by doing all the things you just said, notably crushing balls off the tee and taking dead aim at pins.

Will this work for him now? I'm not sure...but I think he needs to get back to the attacking mindset, instead of over-thinking shots trying to play the "perfect shot". It doesnt exist, just go for it.

+1 TC. TW probable knows the most about his swing and what his knew/Achilles can endure right now. If he wants another set of eyes to look at something or a sounding board to bounce some concept, he can call up a Harmon/Leadbetter/Foley etc ... or gas up the G5 and meet them somewhere.

IMO, what TW really needs is Dr. Rotella or some sport/life coach to put golf in perspective.

Honestly, Tiger just needs to come clean, on his own accord. If he just came out and said, "I'm the best, I'm rich, and I like women", I would respect him more, I think a huge weight would be lifted, and he'd be back sooner than later. I just want anything real out of the guy right now.

Well said and I couldnt agree more. Go back to being... Tiger.

I don't think it is a bad relationship. I don't think we have seen a healthy Tiger fully put SF swing into play. Not just healthly physically but also mentally. Foley has a good stable of pros that have won. Not on the level of a Butch Harmon but his students have won. Sean leaving Foley maybe more about TW geting all the attention (just guessing) or just wanting a change.
If you ask me if there is another coach better suited for TW's game...IDK. But I do think TW can win with Foley as his swing coach.

I don't think it is a bad relationship. I don't think we have seen a healthy Tiger fully put SF swing into play. Not just healthly physically but also mentally. Foley has a good stable of pros that have won. Not on the level of a Butch Harmon but his students have won. Sean leaving Foley maybe more about TW geting all the attention (just guessing) or just wanting a change.
If you ask me if there is another coach better suited for TW's game...IDK. But I do think TW can win with Foley as his swing coach.

I agree that he can win under him and you know I'm a fan man, but TW stack and tilt? He swings too hard and fast for it, plus I couldn't bare the thought of a TW stack and tilt infomercial lol, that's almost as bad as Hogan demanding they enlarge the cup an inch lololol...

Honestly, Tiger just needs to come clean, on his own accord. If he just came out and said, "I'm the best, I'm rich, and I like women", I would respect him more, I think a huge weight would be lifted, and he'd be back sooner than later. I just want anything real out of the guy right now.

Why do you think he doesnt do this? I simply cant believe the idea that its because his advisers are giving him bad advice. I mean, these are professional PR guys who I assume are at the top of their profession, they must know that avoiding the media and being standoffish doesnt help. Is that just Tiger's natural personality? If it is, can we fault him?

Steve Elling of CBSSports.com talked to Sean Foley yesterday, who said that Tiger hasn't even been hitting balls on the range. Based on that, I highly doubt we see him at the Bridgestone tournament next week or the PGA the week after that.

http://steveelling.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6267041/30880070

ORLANDO, Fla. – Even after two months on the bench, Tiger Woods’ status for the next two weeks, if not the rest of the season, remains very much uncertain.

Three days removed from the commitment deadline for next week’s WGC Bridgestone Invitational, a tournament he’s dominated unlike few others in his career, Woods still hasn’t begun working toward his comeback from physical issued that have dogged him for months.

Swing coach Sean Foley said in a text message Tuesday night that the pair have not been working together, which seemingly creates the very real possibility that Woods will miss the PGA Championship next month, too. Bridgestone and the PGA are staged in consecutive weeks and Woods has regularly played in both.

“We have not hit any balls,” Foley wrote Tuesday night. “And I have no idea what his plans are as far as when he plays again. It’s up to the doctors.”

Hardly a ringing reason for optimism.

Even with his talent and temperament, it’s hard to envision that Woods could get ramped up and ready for a World Golf Championships event or a major with only a few days of preparatory work, especially in light of his physical condition and overall state of readiness.

Woods has played nine holes on the PGA Tour since the Masters in April and dropped to No. 21 in the world ranking this week. Given the layoff and his position on the seasonal points pecking order, the rest of the season is in doubt as well.

Woods stands outside the top 125 in FedEx Cup points and if he doesn’t play over the final three weeks of the so-called regular season, he’ll be ineligible to play in any of the four FedEx Cup events that begin immediately thereafter. In other words, he can’t play even if he’s cleared physically because he didn’t earn enough points.

Thus, Woods would not be eligible to play in the Deutsche Bank Championship, which is hosted by his charity, or defend his title at the BMW Championship outside Chicago, which represents the last PGA Tour event he won, nearly two years ago.

After the Bridgestone and PGA, the last chance to crack the top 125 in FedEx points is the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, N.C., held Aug. 18-21.

Barring an appearance in the Fall Series, the year would effectively be over.

Dont rush it Tiger. A successful next year is better than a mediocre two tournaments this year.

Steve Elling of CBSSports.com talked to Sean Foley yesterday, who said that Tiger hasn't even been hitting balls on the range. Based on that, I highly doubt we see him at the Bridgestone tournament next week or the PGA the week after that.

Foley did say "we have not hit balls" though. Maybe TW has been working on his game without Foley? Just trying to find some hope he'll play at Bridgestone. Haha

The Dolphin,
Am I missing something in that report?
I see Foley saying that he has not worked with TW on the range or hit balls with him, but Im not sure it says that TW has not been hitting balls. Unless I am missing it of course.

Good catch guys, very nicely worded statement by Foley, I guess thats why he did it by text. The fact that he mentions waiting for word from the doctor does seem to imply that TW is not ready yet physically rather than just working without Foley, but I might be reading way too much into this.

The Dolphin,
Am I missing something in that report?
I see Foley saying that he has not worked with TW on the range or hit balls with him, but Im not sure it says that TW has not been hitting balls. Unless I am missing it of course.

Good point. My assumption has been that Foley would work with him when he hit balls, but that may not be the case. Either way, I thought it was interesting. That said, nothing really matters until 5 PM on Friday, which is the deadline for entering the Bridgestone Invitational.

This thread needs some dissenting opinions. The love fest is a little nauseating.

Kevin

Back