Not Happy with my Irons

I think fittings can always help....plus you can always go back and have fittings done as a swing changes, etc. to make sure your clubs are still tuned to your particular swing at that point in time.

True that, especially with the scoring clubs. It's pretty frustrating for anyone, and especially for a beginner to have to fight with their clubs based on having the wrong lie angle. A beginner could start making perfectly good swings at times, and then, for example his clubs are too flat, he starts missing to the right and starts trying adjust. jmho It's usually a downward spiral from there.

A couple of things. You need to get fitted. Whoever is informing you that it isn't worth it because your swing will change is wrong. If you learn how to hit the ball and transfer more power into your swing, you may need a different shaft later on, but the fact is your lie angle and length won't change in most cases (the rare case wouldn't require a huge change in lie angle either). Look no further than Tiger woods. He's made major swing transformations several times in his career and he's always continued to have the same 1.5* upright lie on his clubs at the same length. Numerous reps and pros will tell you the same thing about the important aspects of getting fit. The length of a shaft affects the lie angle you'd need the club at... they aren't mutually exclusive.

Not to sound condescending at all... but if you've only played for 6 months, no matter how much practice you've had, you shouldn't be hitting a players iron and definitely shouldn't be hitting muscle backs. No knock on you at all... most players shouldn't be playing these clubs. If you try some of these irons out, you may possibly hit them better than your burners, but it would likely be because of the psychological issue you have with your burner irons right now. Golf is a hard game and you want the club to help you as much as you can, especially early in your golfing career when you don't have a repeatable swing. Your CG15 is also easier to hit because wedges are easier to hit in general (The CG15 is a great wedge).

I hope you find something that works great for you and really helps out your game. Good luck!

As many others have said, getting fitted should do the trick.

Also, don't think that just because the Burners don't work for you, that you need to go to a MB, or even a CB, chances are those are going to make it even harder to get your game on track.

A couple of things. You need to get fitted. Whoever is informing you that it isn't worth it because your swing will change is wrong. If you learn how to hit the ball and transfer more power into your swing, you may need a different shaft later on, but the fact is your lie angle and length won't change in most cases (the rare case wouldn't require a huge change in lie angle either). Look no further than Tiger woods. He's made major swing transformations several times in his career and he's always continued to have the same 1.5* upright lie on his clubs at the same length. Numerous reps and pros will tell you the same thing about the important aspects of getting fit. The length of a shaft affects the lie angle you'd need the club at... they aren't mutually exclusive.

Not to sound condescending at all... but if you've only played for 6 months, no matter how much practice you've had, you shouldn't be hitting a players iron and definitely shouldn't be hitting muscle backs. No knock on you at all... most players shouldn't be playing these clubs. If you try some of these irons out, you may possibly hit them better than your burners, but it would likely be because of the psychological issue you have with your burner irons right now. Golf is a hard game and you want the club to help you as much as you can, especially early in your golfing career when you don't have a repeatable swing. Your CG15 is also easier to hit because wedges are easier to hit in general (The CG15 is a great wedge).

I hope you find something that works great for you and really helps out your game. Good luck!

Got it, thanks. An no, not condescending at all man, I need that kind of advice because frankly I don't know enough yet. What I do know is that the Burners just aren't doing it for me, so I will get a fitting asap, hit a ton of clubs, then figure out which direction to go.

Got it, thanks. An no, not condescending at all man, I need that kind of advice because frankly I don't know enough yet. What I do know is that the Burners just aren't doing it for me, so I will get a fitting asap, hit a ton of clubs, then figure out which direction to go.

Awesome man. I love golf and love talking about it and remember being in your shoes not to long ago. Golf is about confidence and you'll find something that you love soon enough. Keep us all up to date on your search!

exactly what I recently found out....I think I've been missing out on some good golf because I never had my clubs checked for lie angle in the last 2 years.....found out I need to be 1* up so the next set of irons will reflect that....hopefully the game will get a little easier with such a simple and inexpensive tweak

True that, especially with the scoring clubs. It's pretty frustrating for anyone, and especially for a beginner to have to fight with their clubs based on having the wrong lie angle. A beginner could start making perfectly good swings at times, and then, for example his clubs are too flat, he starts missing to the right and starts trying adjust. jmho It's usually a downward spiral from there.

Fitting is a great idea, but remember there is no standard. A 1* upright in one club manufacturer may be standard in another.

Last year I was in a VERY similar situation. I was fairly new to the game, was taking lessons, game improving, etc. I started out with Diablo Edge irons. I specifically remember going to my pro and saying the exact same thing-that I like the look and feel of my CG 15 wedges. You have already received good advice here and that is to get fitted and to get something that you are confident in. I went to the CB2's and have been happy with my move, but I will tell you this, it was a tough transition with the longer irons. I have actually taken the 4I completely out of my bag. The reason why-I can throw if farther than I can hit it (yes, this is an actual proven fact). I guess my point here is be prepared for significantly less forgiveness in the longer irons if you go to more of a cavity back, muscle back, etc iron.

Uh oh, I hope you have a big garage, this could be the start of new club addiction! lol!

In all seriousness, good luck.

Uh oh, I hope you have a big garage, this could be the start of new club addiction! lol!

In all seriousness, good luck.

Not trying to ho! Just need to find the right clubs to inspire my game.

Guys, I posted this on another forum

There are other forums? Never knew.

Get fit for lie angle, shaft length, and shaft type and flex. Then fit those numbers into an iron that looks the best to you. If all you see at address is is frustration, time for a change.

There are other forums? Never knew.

Get fit for lie angle, shaft length, and shaft type and flex. Then fit those numbers into an iron that looks the best to you. If all you see at address is is frustration, time for a change.

Will do, looking into where to get fitted now, not going to go back to the first guy who wouldn't check my lie angle. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get fit in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area? Seems like we just have Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and Edwin Watts. Thanks

My pro doesn't seem to be a big equipment guy, he just says to hit whatever I like. He does notice my frustration with iron play and the fact that my wedge game is much better than my mid-game. He says I get a pissed off look when I have to grab a 5 or 6 iron, lol. This is obviously a mental issue...

You say it yourself here - it's a mental issue. It's unlikely to change even when you do get new clubs. One bad round and you'll be back here, thinking it's all in the clubs and you just can't use them.

What exactly is happening with your current irons, that's causing you to hate them so much?

Will do, looking into where to get fitted now, not going to go back to the first guy who wouldn't check my lie angle. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get fit in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area? Seems like we just have Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and Edwin Watts. Thanks

Look up a local PGA professional. If it were me spending the money, I'd would much rather go to a PGA pro than a chain store. Unless, of course, there are guys at the chain who are knowedgeable. They exist, though are rare. If you get told +1" and 2º upright, then go somewhere else.

You say it yourself here - it's a mental issue. It's unlikely to change even when you do get new clubs. One bad round and you'll be back here, thinking it's all in the clubs and you just can't use them.

What exactly is happening with your current irons, that's causing you to hate them so much?

Look up a local PGA professional. If it were me spending the money, I'd would much rather go to a PGA pro than a chain store. Unless, of course, there are guys at the chain who are knowedgeable. They exist, though are rare. If you get told +1" and 2º upright, then go somewhere else.

It's mostly a feel thing for me, I lose the feeling of the head of the club and either chunk it or hit a low wormer that sails past the hole. Funny thing is, i struggle more with the 7 and 8 than the 4 or 5. The more I'm looking into this, I think I might need stiffer shafts since my wedge game is locked in and I can flush my Clevelands 90% of the time. I lose control of the Burners essentially. This impresses the fact that I need a proper fitting, I'm wary of the chains though, lots of garbage advice in those places...Maybe it'll turn out I can just re-shaft the Burners.

golf galaxy is pretty good and everyone is required to be a certified fitter that works and gives advice at golf galaxy.

I got my fitting at Edwin Watts and,it was a great experience,they were very helpful and it was only $50 so,i had enough muulaa left to get all new grips.

I'd have to say go for a fitting. Hit a bunch of clubs then make up your mind after you see their result. Just go in there with an open mind and find what's best for you whether it be players clubs, or super game improvements. Clubs can be altered for Lie, loft, length, etc after point of purchase. Pricing on this typically varies from place to place but it does help when you're getting your swing down.

Also please keep in mind that things like shaft flex and lie angle are not universal. A Dynamic gold S300 and Project X 5.5 are both considered stiff but are a different flex within the stiff range. Likewise a CG16 and Nike VR cavity could have a different lie angle. You could be flat in one and 1 up in the other.

Finally, remember to get someone to look at your grip and alter the club grips accordingly. It's amazing the effect one wrap of tape under either hand can do for a swing, let alone a different grip weight (less grip weight generally means more weight towards the club head letting you feel the path of the head easier for example).

Do any of those stores have a Golftec in them? If so, that's where I would start.

I say definatley off the Burners, then I say hit every iron known to man until you find the one that best suits you.

One-T nailed it. Hit them all for a week. Narrow it done to two or three different brands and hit those for 2 more weeks. Then you can come to an easy decision. Thats what I did and it worked out beautifully.

Guys, I posted this on another forum, but I wanted to post here to get some more opinions. I hope that's not considered tacky...and if it is, I apologize.

Anyway, here goes:

So I've only been playing Golf for about 6 months, but I've definitely caught the bug and have been improving. I picked up the TM Burner 1.0s about 4 months ago and they were okay at first but for some reason I despise them right now. They seem clunky, flimsy, and overall the feel is not inspiring confidence. I enjoy playing my Cleveland CG15 wedge much more, and in fact hit it better. Now that my swing has improved (somewhat), I can't feel the clubhead and haven't been getting great results from the Burners.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I mean its my first set of irons and obviously I'm a beginner but I don't want my equipment holding back my game, especially since I've been putting a lot of time and effort into golf so far, and have really taken to it (lessons every two weeks, playing on the weekends, 2-3 range session per week, reading up, watching videos, doing drills, etc...). I was thinking of dumping the Burners and moving on to more of a players cavity back, which I'm hoping would help me two-fold: 1) give me better feel and 2) give me feedback to really let me know how and why my swing is off.

I'm considering some Mizunos, maybe the JPX 800 Pros or MP53s. Also, the Bridgestone J38's or the Nike VR Pro combos. Most of those sets are relatively pricey so I was hoping to pick up a players cavity from last year, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Any advice?

Maybe I'm just way out of my league and should stick with the Burners now, but they just piss me off at the moment and when I look down at address I already feel like I'm going to screw up. Don't have that feeling with my wedges...

I think you should go with whatever gives you the most confidence while standing over the ball! It's what you like that matters!!

Whatever club you end up with will be amazing for 6 months and then you will grow to hate it. Take it from one golf equipment ***** to another!! I bought and sold many sets of clubs only to regret it later.
I say buy some new sticks but stick with them for at least 2 full seasons. take your time, get fitted and stick it out with your decision.

TY

Whatever club you end up with will be amazing for 6 months and then you will grow to hate it. Take it from one golf equipment ***** to another!! I bought and sold many sets of clubs only to regret it later.
I say buy some new sticks but stick with them for at least 2 full seasons. take your time, get fitted and stick it out with your decision.

TY

I get your point, but I'm not sure I agree. I need some irons that inspire confidence and the Burners never really have for me.

I never liked the burner 1.0's felt harsh and just plain bad...the 2.0's are much better IMO, I would recommend staying with a GI iron as a players iron will be harsher than the 1.0's..Some of my personally faves are the AP1's (although you said you didn't like them always worth another try)(little less forgiving than the rest),the burner 2.0's feel softer and more buttery,the mizuno jpx 800's are great, buttery ok distance, cg16's-not for everyone, good feel VERY long, I doubt you would like the g15's since there so large and could hinder you trying to get better..o yes and the razrs are excellent or even the x 24 hots to save a few $$$...also great choice on the cg15's my fav. wedge for sure. Good Luck!!

A few more things- Just go out and hit all these irons multiple times, multiple days, in multiple conditions so you are 100% sure you picked the best irons possible....what happend to you with the burner 1.0's is commen because you typically don't test as many and don't know anything but the set you bought so it will feel great, until you start getting better and try more irons and reliaze the 1.0's may not have been the best choice......Good Luck (again)

I never liked the burner 1.0's felt harsh and just plain bad...the 2.0's are much better IMO, I would recommend staying with a GI iron as a players iron will be harsher than the 1.0's..Some of my personally faves are the AP1's (although you said you didn't like them always worth another try)(little less forgiving than the rest),the burner 2.0's feel softer and more buttery,the mizuno jpx 800's are great, buttery ok distance, cg16's-not for everyone, good feel VERY long, I doubt you would like the g15's since there so large and could hinder you trying to get better..o yes and the razrs are excellent or even the x 24 hots to save a few $$$...also great choice on the cg15's my fav. wedge for sure. Good Luck!!

A few more things- Just go out and hit all these irons multiple times, multiple days, in multiple conditions so you are 100% sure you picked the best irons possible....what happend to you with the burner 1.0's is commen because you typically don't test as many and don't know anything but the set you bought so it will feel great, until you start getting better and try more irons and reliaze the 1.0's may not have been the best choice......Good Luck (again)

Thanks for the tips! Yea, I mean when I went to buy my first set, I didn't know what I was doing, I just needed something at a decent price that felt better than the loaner clubs I had. Now that I'm more "into" golf, I realize the Burners just ain't for me. They are just so erratic, and I know its not just my swing causing it cause I can flush my wedges and get consistent results, but flushing the Burners is a guess as to how far it'll go. I'm going to take another look at the AP1s , and the JPX800s. I'm gonna schedule a fitting this Sunday at Golf Galaxy and go from there.

Awseome and just an FYI Ive heard from other members that GolfGalaxy dosen't alwasys give the best fitting expierence but I have no personal expierence with them...Good Luck

Back