Need to vent, was I wrong? Practice area etiquette

To TNC's comment about seeing guys get messed up for way less, those sound like some fun courses.
No, not on a golf course thankfully. But the guy's apology didn't go off as he would have liked. So he escalated the issue rather than repeating his apology and just moving on. If it wasn't a big deal then don't let it be one. On the other part, If someone asks me if "is there is a problem?" it usually goes badly from there on out. It is kinda like a dare. If you said "geez what did I do?" it would be 100% different. Like I said earlier I must be misreading this one.

From what I read, the guy and his kids were leaving the practice area. You wrote, "golf is not new too me", so you know that sometimes you can pick a ball clean from a bunker and it'll go much farther than when you spank the sand. You should have waited until they were out of your line of play.

The dad was rightfully miffed, but he should have handled it better. If it were me I would have walked my kids to a safe place, walked over to you and said, "hey guy, thanks for apologizing, it's cool, but in the future it's probably best that you wait until others are out of your line when you practicing shots that can be unpredictable".

Oh, and I agree with F2G - using "dude" is typically used with friends. In this situation, "dude" kinda sounds condescending. Just my 2 cents.

It is hard to convey tone through a forum, but when I said "is there a problem" to the lady I was genuinely confused and asking if something was wrong. I have never even been in a physical fight, so it is not my intention to start trouble. He clearly disrespected me and put me down when I was trying to apologize. At that point I am not too upset about him getting butt hurt over me calling him 'dude.' I think him making me feel like an idiot in front of several people for a accidental mistake is a lot worse than being called a 'dude.'

The guy sounds like an idiot. It's golf and sometimes, many times, balls go where you don't intend. I've accidentally hit up on people because I caught it a purer than usual, or it went further than expected due to wind or roll or whatever. I always yell fore, and apologize and try to be aware of others, but sometimes crazy things happen. What I hate is when I ball lands 10 feet from me and when I turn around the guy is staring at me like a moron. How hard is it to yell fore? You made an effort and I wouldn't worry about it.

The guy sounds like an idiot. It's golf and sometimes, many times, balls go where you don't intend. I've accidentally hit up on people because I caught it a purer than usual, or it went further than expected due to wind or roll or whatever. I always yell fore, and apologize and try to be aware of others, but sometimes crazy things happen. What I hate is when I ball lands 10 feet from me and when I turn around the guy is staring at me like a moron. How hard is it to yell fore? You made an effort and I wouldn't worry about it.

Ya, I am going to put it to rest now, no sense in worrying, I do enough of that. So if someone wants to lock this that is fine. I made a mistake, live and learn but the guy handled it poorly in my opinion.

I dont think you did anything wrong, but thats just me. You apologized and didnt raise your voice or cuss. Accidents happen

You did good. He was an idiot. Forget about it.

I would agree that you were not wrong. Here is a classic story where I was on the receiving end of a practice area situation. On the practice range (grass area) hitting some iron shots. A guy comes up right beside me and starts hitting, no big deal. All of a sudden, we hear the sound of a ball coming off a metal wood followed by an uggh (as the shot was ugly, I guess) (FROM BEHIND US). So it turns out this "dude" (lol) is hitting drives off the mats behind us. I turn and say, "pal what are you doing." He says "I'm warming up with my driver." I said, "not behind us your not, what if you shank a shot." He says, "well, what are the mats for then". I looked at him and said, "duh, for when the grass area is closed." Pro at the other end of the practice area is just looking over shaking his head. First off, who hits behind someone who is not looking (WITH DRIVER); secondly, who likes to hit off the mats instead of grass (and this is a nice grass area).

Long story short, you did nothing wrong while this guy was a classic jack-arse. I have been hitting chips on the green many times and have skulls one, or have had a skulled shot come at me. Its a practice green that is what happens sometimes.

The mat lovers show up at one of my local ranges every now and then as well. Very odd. I just go far away and on the opposite side of them and hit on the grass.

I would agree that you were not wrong. Here is a classic story where I was on the receiving end of a practice area situation. On the practice range (grass area) hitting some iron shots. A guy comes up right beside me and starts hitting, no big deal. All of a sudden, we hear the sound of a ball coming off a metal wood followed by an uggh (as the shot was ugly, I guess) (FROM BEHIND US). So it turns out this "dude" (lol) is hitting drives off the mats behind us. I turn and say, "pal what are you doing." He says "I'm warming up with my driver." I said, "not behind us your not, what if you shank a shot." He says, "well, what are the mats for then". I looked at him and said, "duh, for when the grass area is closed." Pro at the other end of the practice area is just looking over shaking his head. First off, who hits behind someone who is not looking (WITH DRIVER); secondly, who likes to hit off the mats instead of grass (and this is a nice grass area).

Long story short, you did nothing wrong while this guy was a classic jack-arse. I have been hitting chips on the green many times and have skulls one, or have had a skulled shot come at me. Its a practice green that is what happens sometimes.

You didn't do anything wrong, guy might have just over-reacted because of the adrenalin rush that a parent gets when the perceive a danger to their child/children. Or the guy might have just wanted to look like a big man to his kids, or he could have just been a horses ass.

Either way, you yelled to warn him, you apologized, he should have accepted it and taught his kids a lesson in sportsmanship

I agree totally.Parents get very alpha male when perceived danger with kids...its weird but I do it not even thinking. Like trying to take a ham bone from a dog...don't do it it'll bite you.

In golf we all hit bad shots all you can do is yell and warn which you did. No worries and sure he forgot about it and feels just as bad he made a bit of a scene

Back