Ricky Barnes gets ripped off

I think the fact that a theft happened at all is a huge deal, but I was simply commenting on the fact that it will not cause Ricky Barnes any undue stress.
It's interesting to me that the younger crowd doesn't think it's a big deal but the older crowd does.

I can't imagine trying to fence these clubs: they got to have Ricky's name all over them and on the bag. Pawn Stars maybe?

Love that show.You never know..hehe. No one should have to go through being violated. I just felt that it wasnt going to be a hardship for him. I hope they find the dirt bags. and give them a little bit of this with a 3 iron :deadhorse:

I think the fact that a theft happened at all is a huge deal, but I was simply commenting on the fact that it will not cause Ricky Barnes any undue stress.

I strongly disagree. You take all 14 clubs that a player lives/dies by and take them away suddenly. The player then has to start from scratch..... I bet he is losing sleep with his clubs getting stolen. Players go through tons of heads and shafts testing the one they like the best. Like others have said same head/shaft all do not feel the same. Putters and favorite clubs would be very hard to replace their feel and confidence with them.

Yeah, there will be an adjustment period, but we cannot pretend that it is going to be as difficult on him as it would on, say, me. If my clubs got stolen, I would be screwed, pure and simple.

I strongly disagree. You take all 14 clubs that a player lives/dies by and take them away and has to start over I bet he losing sleep with his clubs getting stolen. Players go through tons of heads and shafts picking the one they like the best. Like others have said same head/shaft all do not feel the same. Putters and favorite clubs would be very hard to replace their feel and confidence in them.

Yeah, there will be an adjustment period, but we cannot pretend that it is going to be as difficult on him as it would on, say, me. If my clubs got stolen, I would be screwed, pure and simple.

Disagree. He makes a living with those 14 clubs...you on the other hand do not.

You have obviously never had anything stolen then. Believe me, it's stressful.

I guess the question is why is their a comparison?
Its just different.
Just like its different for you to shoot 85-100 on a day because the clubs did not feel "just right" than it would be for him.
Its still theft and to assume that because he has money or does not pay to replace them it means less is really not fair in my opinion.

I have, actually. But I am obviously in the minority with my opinions on the matter, and I will just have to agree to disagree with you all.
You have obviously never had anything stolen then. Believe me, it's stressful.

That's what I think. I wouldn't compare it all. I'd just say "That sucks" and feel a little compassion. For anybody.

I guess the question is why is their a comparison?
Its just different.
Just like its different for you to shoot 85-100 on a day because the clubs did not feel "just right" than it would be for him.
Its still theft and to assume that because he has money or does not pay to replace them it means less is really not fair in my opinion.

that's not the point man.....so if your parents gave you a car and it was stolen would you be like 'no biggie, I'll just get another one from mom and pops?'

I would flip...

But if I was a millionaire and was sponsored by that car maker to expect a brand new one within days, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.. I'd be pissed that someone stole from me, but I certainly wouldn't be devastated by it.

It is pretty lame that people would steal like that, especially at a charity event.. No excuse for that crap.

I have, actually. But I am obviously in the minority with my opinions on the matter, and I will just have to agree to disagree with you all.

Actually you are in agreement with the younger crowd. Not sure if it's the minority or not. But opinions change as you get older. I'd like to hear what your opinion would be on this when you are 35.

That's what I think. I wouldn't compare it all. I'd just say "That sucks" and feel a little compassion. For anybody.

Agreed. To me the other side of the argument is like saying that stealing from the wealthy hurts less than stealing from someone with less. Its ridiculous really when put into context.

Almost certainly radically different. I will let you know in 18 years.

It isn't that I think that he is undeserving of sympathy, he is. But it will be much easier for him to find a set that "feels right" and get back to playing golf than it would be for any of us..
Actually you are in agreement with the younger crowd. Not sure if it's the minority or not. But opinions change as you get older. I'd like to hear what your opinion would be on this when you are 35.

But it will be much easier for him to find a set that "feels right" and get back to playing golf than it would be for any of us..

Hate to keep :deadhorse: but I disagree completely.

I could pick up 50% of the sets of clubs made and go out and shoot about the same as I currently do.

These guys have EVERYTHING so dialed into specific yardages and feel that it does not happen that easily.

While he will easily get replacement clubs, to say that it will just automatically "feel right" is way off base IMO.

Agreed. To me the other side of the argument is like saying that stealing from the wealthy hurts less than stealing from someone with less. Its ridiculous really when put into context.

Isn't that like "spreading the wealth around"? Sorry, that's for the debate thread.

JR, I get what you're saying. To me, they just didn't steal a set of clubs. They stole what he uses to make a living. If somebody stole my work boots, it would be the end of the world. I would just get another pair and my employer to pay for them. But because of some sticky fingered a-hole, I have to take extra time to do something that should have to be done.

Isn't that like "spreading the wealth around"? Sorry, that's for the debate thread.

Hey! Did someone change the thread title to 'Robin Hood: Right or Wrong?'

:D

I'm agreeing with everything that is being said about it is a big deal. If he had any clubs in there such as a older putter, hybrid, or fairway wood (which are commonly kept for a while by touring pros) it would be hard to get one back just like his old one that he likes. If golf digest is right, not one golf club has ever been made exactly the same, and for these guys, they just might be able to tell the difference.

Also, is Ricky playing in the GreenBrier? I would feel bad if he had to adjust to his clubs that quick.

JR, I get what you're saying. To me, they just didn't steal a set of clubs. They stole what he uses to make a living. If somebody stole my work boots, it would be the end of the world. I would just get another pair and my employer to pay for them. But because of some sticky fingered a-hole, I have to take extra time to do something that should have to be done.

Very interesting perspective bg..

Also, is Ricky playing in the GreenBrier? I would feel bad if he had to adjust to his clubs that quick.

Yep - just teed off! 12ET tee time.

I think some are missing the real travesty here:

I'm pretty sure these are the clubs that were stolen :(

Spoiler
i-MB3qn7g-L.jpg

Yep - just teed off! 12ET tee time.

thanks mcook. Man his club's got built quick. Now I have a reason to cheer for him.

The point, as I see it, is that some d-bag broke into his car and stole his stuff and that sucks! Been there and I felt violated and turbo pissed. It makes no difference whatsoever whether or not he got the clubs, watch, etc. free. Would it be the same if my car was robbed of my Christmas or birthday presents? I didn't pay for those either. The absolute worst part has to be the wallet, replacing credit cards, drivers license, etc. now that's a gigantic PITA!

not a problem I doubt for ricky. it still sucks though

Back