Rory Loses Cool on Twitter

I agree with Rory.

hell ya. maybe not the way to go about responding but i would have been a little fired up if a commentator compared me to 10 year olds after a bad holes a few weeks post us open win

What I said was that he was not wrong in his description of him botching the hole. He truly botched the hole. If you read the previous 2 sentences you will see my exact thoughts of the writer.
The analyst made his analysis. And it was poor at best in terms of the joke. Something that is done to every single player, every single week on every single tour. In this case, the player chose to say Shut Up and Unless you have played, your opinion means nothing (complete generalization of course).

I believe that had this been someone else, feelings would be different.
Had it been Tiger Woods we would hear the same "Hes a Jerk" from some and "Bout time he stood up for himself....Go Tiger" from others.
Had it been Phil we would have heard "Always knew he was a jerk and fake" and "Bout time he stood up for himself" from others.
Had it been someone lesser, we would have heard nothing.
And had it been Rory Saboweenie we would have heard "Guy is a jerk, shut your mouth".

Rory should have said nothing just as every other player does every single week. The thought that he is "an entertainer" and therefore does not need this is laughable, because what does one think Townsend is? He is there to entertain the same.

This was a classic case of handling a stupid situation with the media poorly and unfortunately Rory seems to have this following him around (growing up)

I stand by my caddie!

:clown:

Seriously though, this comes down to a matter of opinion I think. No doubt that Townsend is an entertainer and I think he has every right to say what he did, but why does Rory have to just take it? I mean yeah...that's the "professional" thing to do but beyond that who really cares? To think that Rory making some childish comment somehow tarnishes the good name of golf is pretty nutty if you ask me. Next week Brittany Spears will get out of a car without panties on and everyone will forget that this ever happened. Golfers watch golf. Golfers are obsessed with golf. Some player's comments are not going to change that.

Personally I like to see some rivalry. That's why Jon Stewart is my favorite news guy. It's alllllll entertainment.

Agreed that Townsend is an entertainer. My favorite news guy is Jon Stewart...so that should kind of tell you where my head's at.

On the other hand, Feherty's interview with Rory was a boring fluff piece and my first disappointment from what has been a great series.

I stand by my caddie!

:clown:

Seriously though, this comes down to a matter of opinion I think. No doubt that Townsend is an entertainer and I think he has every right to say what he did, but why does Rory have to just take it? I mean yeah...that's the "professional" thing to do but beyond that who really cares? To think that Rory making some childish comment somehow tarnishes the good name of golf is pretty nutty if you ask me. Next week Brittany Spears will get out of a car without panties on and everyone will forget that this ever happened. Golfers watch golf. Golfers are obsessed with golf. Some player's comments are not going to change that.

Personally I like to see some rivalry. That's why Jon Stewart is my favorite news guy. It's alllllll entertainment.

Agreed that Townsend is an entertainer. My favorite news guy is Jon Stewart...so that should kind of tell you where my head's at.

Townsend's job is to provide analysis about what he views from the golfers. Rory's job is to play golf and he does it rather well.
He did not care for the analysis that Townsend provided and decided to act a certain way (some would call childish) with the two things he said.
"Shutup" and "Your a Failed Golfer".
Im shocked that so many feel as though what he came back with is normal and okay. Everybody has a right to their opinion, but to say Im surprised is an understatement. Like I said, had this been a non-fan favorite, I think this would be different across the masses.

And I would be willing to bet that demographics play a pretty large roll here.
Everybody has an opinion here, just as Townsend did.

Hummm...i just thought of this...COULD it be that in being made fun of by being called a 10 year old, Rory decided to simply respond back like said 10 year old?

If this was his line of thinking I say kudos to you Rory, and we should all be sending the man some candy!!!

Poor response by Rory. He'll learn from this I suspect.

On the other hand, Feherty's interview with Rory was a boring fluff piece and my first disappointment from what has been a great series.

I missed it, I want to catch the replay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he is considered an a$$ by most of the people.

Indeed he is, but my point being, Rory could have made this a lot worse.

Townsand should have expected it. I was always taught growing up, in life and in sports, if you want to be respected, than respect others. Townsand made a childish comment that was far from respectful in terms of commentators and he received a childish comment back.

There's a big different between criticizing and insulting someone. Townsand crossed that line and Rory responded.

Townsend's job is to provide analysis about what he views from the golfers. Rory's job is to play golf and he does it rather well.
He did not care for the analysis that Townsend provided and decided to act a certain way (some would call childish) with the two things he said.
"Shutup" and "Your a Failed Golfer".
Im shocked that so many feel as though what he came back with is normal and okay. Everybody has a right to their opinion, but to say Im surprised is an understatement. Like I said, had this been a non-fan favorite, I think this would be different across the masses.

And I would be willing to bet that demographics play a pretty large roll here. Everybody has an opinion here, just as Townsend did.

Could be. I am 31 year old and somewhat liberal. In high school and college I played guitar and sang in punk and hard rock bands. On the other hand, I have a long standing professional job and get along with pretty much everybody all the time.

I am not saying Rory did the right thing (but I am saying that I don't really care). My thing is that I feel like people expect professional golfers to be choirboys and I guess it is a carry over from the game's history but it can make things a little stale sometimes. I don't know why I am compelled to keep posting about this, either. :banghead:

McIlroy's course management was shocking should hire Stevie Williams, as I thought JP allowed some SHOCKING course management today Some of the worst course management I have ever seen beyond under 10's boys golf competition Sorry, but I stand by my comments as Colm Byrne will tell you in defense of JP, young Rory does not listen much of the time.

These are the tweets from Townsends acct. Seems like he got a little personal, and recommending he fire his caddy is way out of line. I may have heard Townsend but had never heard of him before this. I expect writers announcers to have opinions etc... but this is way beyond that. I only expect golfers be able to play the game, if they can even form multi-sylabaic words that is a plus. This just reaffirms why Feherety is such a gem.

I think they were both wrong. Jay's job is certainly to report what he sees, and if Rory's course management was bad, then it should be stated. However throwing in the quip "ever seen beyond under 10's boys golf competition" is just an obvious exaggeration and can easily be taken as an insult (and is, imo, probably what set rory off. If he had just said "rory's course managment today was terrible", there's probably little or no reaction from rory) if you're the party he's talking about.

Rory's reaction to Townsend was even more juvenile than jay's quip, and rory should have thought better than to retort the less than thoughtful way that many his age would with his (paraphrasing obviously) "shut up, you suck, so go away" comment.

Both were wrong, but ultimately much to do about nothing

Not that this is an excuse, but I think we all need to remember that Rory is still a kid and he's going to make some stupid decisions from time to time.

What I said was that he was not wrong in his description of him botching the hole. He truly botched the hole.
The analyst made his analysis. And it was poor at best in terms of the joke... In this case, the player chose to say Shut Up and Unless you have played, your opinion means nothing.

Rory should have said nothing just as every other player does every single week.

I think you have misunderstood the point here. Townsend originally posted a general tweet saying that McIlroy's course management was shocking, something that I doubt would have got a rise out of RM. But he then tweeted directly to RM the following comment "McIlroy should hire Stevie Williams, as I thought JP allowed some SHOCKING course management today". Basically, he sent a message to RM telling him to sack his caddy! Frankly, I am not surprised that RM responded in the way he did. As for his choice of words, well he's still young and we should remember that.

I think you have misunderstood the point here. Townsend originally posted a general tweet saying that McIlroy's course management was shocking, something that I doubt would have got a rise out of RM. But he then tweeted directly to RM the following comment "McIlroy should hire Stevie Williams, as I thought JP allowed some SHOCKING course management today". Basically, he sent a message to RM telling him to sack his caddy! Frankly, I am not surprised that RM responded in the way he did. As for his choice of words, well he's still young and we should remember that.

Yeah, I've had another look and I realise it wasn't the '10 year old' comment the response was aimed at, but the criticism of his caddy. The response still wasn't right, and with a bit of thought Rory could have still brought him down a peg or 2 without sounding childish if he really wanted.

Anyway, you've got to grudgingly give credit to Townsend in a fashion, as nobody would be talking about him today without him engineering this situation.

Im not misunderstanding the point in this case I dont think. And his tweet was not exactly directly to Rory. If it was, he would have used another method. When speaking of someone and using their name it will be @abcperson. That is how twitter works, however it does not mean they are talking to them. For instance, announcing @TigerWoods is returning at Firestone does not mean I am talking to Tiger Woods.

Yeah, I've had another look and I realise it wasn't the '10 year old' comment the response was aimed at, but the criticism of his caddy. The response still wasn't right, and with a bit of thought Rory could have still brought him down a peg or 2 without sounding childish if he really wanted.

Anyway, you've got to grudgingly give credit to Townsend in a fashion, as nobody would be talking about him today without him engineering this situation.

This.

Last edited:
Oh well, that'll happen when you're on twitter and the likes. If you can't deal with critisism from media or fans, stay off the social networks. Too easy to read something and fly off the handle, it's too instant.

The UK Daily Mail is reporting that Jay Townsend and JP Fitzgerald don't get along and haven't for years. I think that puts a little different spin on things. Jay Townsend went out of his way to make inflammatory public statements. Not only what he said on the BBC broadcast but to post 5 or 6 statements like that on Twitter is going overboard. In my opinion, Townsend made it personal. I don't understand the backlash Rory is getting for firing back.

I think he will learn with age and experience.

I know I said this earlier, but I think his response was fine, it was just Rory's medium that should have been different. I liked that he stood up for his caddie and spoke his mind, but I think he should have said it to Jay in person. It's just like basketball, it is often the guys who responds with aggressive action that gets the technical.

I like what he said. He should stand up for himself and his caddie.

Back