KBS C-Taper Shaft Review

So TC, I think I know the answer, but, when the Morgan cup is over, do you see the C-Tapers in your RXT's over the KBS TOurs??

Don't know for sure buddy. There's a special place in my heart for all the gear we're receiving for the MC.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

KBS Just posted a facebook link to the review... Nicely done!

I saw them tweet something about it as well

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Some dude who works for True Temper just ripped it. I sent him an email telling him that I review what I'm sent.

Great review, if I didn't just get the KBS Tours I might have given these a try.

Some dude who works for True Temper just ripped it. I sent him an email telling him that I review what I'm sent.

Well done.

You working him to try the Monaco shafts? LOL

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

I called him a douche

The beauty of testing for THP is that it's done by average, every day, golf fans and consumers. THP is a huge proponent of consumer testing and feedback, which is one of the things I love about this place. I'm thankful that KBS sent a set of CT's for review and perhaps I shouldn't have compared them to my KBS Tours, but the reality is: it's what I HAVE! What's being lost is that a set of Stiff flex shafts offered a lower launch angle and less spin than an XStiff set. Even though I was using different iron heads, my RXT's are exactly the same loft as the Nike Pro Cavities. I ordered my RXT's one * stronger lofted in the 4-9iron. Again, I do the best with what I have and I hate to have my efforts discounted.

great write-up! These are definitely on my checklist for my next set of irons!

Great review! And funny about the name calling on the main site. I agree you can only test what you are given but maybe there should have been a disclaimer. I would love to test these shafts out on a fitting cart with swappable heads and shafts. I think that would be more of a rounded review for me however great info. Makes me excited to check them out some time!

Good question. I found the Programs to be much smoother. Nothing feels quite like them to be honest. For me though, I prefer the CT's.

I wanted to personally thank everyone who left a comment on the homepage. I read all of them and you guys and your comments is what makes all of this possible.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Thanks for your reply! Just getting back to THP after work....

TC, I've been anticipating your test on these shafts for quite some time.

I have a set of these shafts ordered for my Morgan Cup irons to counteract the offset of the new irons. Being as I have no issue getting the ball in the air, I look for these to provide me a perfect blend of looks and performance. The C-Tapers seem like they will fit that criteria perfectly. I'll have some test results of my own with these over the next few weeks.

I met Mr. Braly in person at the 2010 PGA Show and he was incredibly nice and generous with the time he spent with me and two of my friends explaining the KBS Tour shafts at the time. I was fit for a set of KBS Tours and have played them for a year and I've been thrilled with their performance. I look forward to spending some time with the C-Tapers.

Thanks for work on this test and I really appreciate the knowledge you shared. I don't think people realize how much work goes into these tests and then you have to translate it to a story and then keep our attention and it's a difficult thing to accomplish. You always deliver.

That's really sad to hear. I'm a fan of True Temper and it's a shame they would stoop to that level. You are just your average everyday golfer giving his thoughts on some shafts.

I think True Temper should send over some shafts for a direct comparison to the C-Tapers.

I really had no issue with you including the data. I trust you as a golfer and I know your ability and you saw a difference. It's enough info for me to go out and try these myself. It just expands my knowledge base and then I'll draw my own conclusions. Again, I appreciate all of the work you put into each and every test TC.

Thanks biggsy! I do appreciate your post.

Biggsy,
Have you announced the irons you will be getting or is this staying under wraps until you receive them?

TC, I've been anticipating your test on these shafts for quite some time.

I have a set of these shafts ordered for my Morgan Cup irons to counteract the offset of the new irons. Being as I have no issue getting the ball in the air, I look for these to provide me a perfect blend of looks and performance. The C-Tapers seem like they will fit that criteria perfectly. I'll have some test results of my own with these over the next few weeks.

I met Mr. Braly in person at the 2010 PGA Show and he was incredibly nice and generous with the time he spent with me and two of my friends explaining the KBS Tour shafts at the time. I was fit for a set of KBS Tours and have played them for a year and I've been thrilled with their performance. I look forward to spending some time with the C-Tapers.

Thanks for work on this test and I really appreciate the knowledge you shared. I don't think people realize how much work goes into these tests and then you have to translate it to a story and then keep our attention and it's a difficult thing to accomplish. You always deliver.

That's really sad to hear. I'm a fan of True Temper and it's a shame they would stoop to that level. You are just your average everyday golfer giving his thoughts on some shafts.

I think True Temper should send over some shafts for a direct comparison to the C-Tapers.

I really had no issue with you including the data. I trust you as a golfer and I know your ability and you saw a difference. It's enough info for me to go out and try these myself. It just expands my knowledge base and then I'll draw my own conclusions. Again, I appreciate all of the work you put into each and every test TC.

i've got a couple of range sessions and rounds in with these shafts in my cobra s3 pros and i've already noticed something quite unique. to preface, i'm a high ball hitter and play an 8 iron typically to the 155 yd mark. i don't notice too much difference in height comared to my ping i15's with awt's or 710 mb's with px's but i do notice a different trajectory to get there. these clubs rise steadily then continue to fall forward instead of increasing their upward flight then falling off a shelf. i think this is where the extra 5% distance comes from. don't take my ball flight description wrong, my ball still drops and stops within a foot or two behind it's pitch mark. in a moderate headwind there is no ballooning like i've seen with every shaft i've played so far but that's not the most unique feature i'm discovering. in a good side wind my ball never left it's line! during my last round, on several approach shots i kept adjusting my target line to compensate for a moderate side wind like i always have and the ball just never strayed off that line. it took me several holes to figure out what was happening. i'm very excited to start aiming at pins and not worrying nearly as much as about how much leeway i need to play for cross winds. that in itself should help with scoring!

bottom line...these shafts are legit and after my round this morning i would say they actually perform better than kbs claims!

Last edited:
i've got a couple of range sessions and rounds in with these shafts and i've already noticed something quite unique. to preface, i'm a high ball hitter and play an 8 iron typically to the 155 yd mark. i don't notice too much difference in height but i do notice a different trajectory to get there. these clubs rise steadily then continue to fall forward instead of increasing their upward flight then falling of a shelf. i think this is were the extra 5% distance comes from. don't take my ball flight description wrong, my ball still drops and stops within a foot or two behind it's pitch mark. in a moderate headwind there is no ballooning like i've seen with every shaft i've played so far but that's not the most unique feature i'm discovering. in a good side wind my ball never left it's line! during my last round, on several approach shots i kept adjusting my target line to compensate for a moderate side wind like i always have and the ball just never strayed off that line. it took me several holes to figure out what was happening. i'm very excited to start aiming at pins and not worrying nearly as much as about how much leeway i need to play for cross winds. that in itself should help with scoring!

bottom line...these shafts are legit and after my round this morning i would say they actually perform better than kbs claims!

Thanks for chiming in my man! Glad you like them so much. They really are a great set of iron shafts that quite simply deliver.

Thanks for chiming in my man! Glad you like them so much. They really are a great set of iron shafts that quite simply deliver.

no prob and thanks again for your review! i can see how some may want to dismiss your comparative data but as more and more people start playing these, it will only be a matter of time before all of our early subjective findings and claims become accepted as fact.

btw, i already thought these cobra s3 pros were the softest iron i had ever hit but this shaft adds even more great feel to something i thought would be hard to improve upon.

no prob and thanks again for your review! i can see how some may want to dismiss your comparative data but as more and more people start playing these, it will only be a matter of time before all of our early subjective findings and claims become accepted as fact.

btw, i already thought these cobra s3 pros were the softest iron i had ever hit but this shaft adds even more great feel to something i thought would be hard to improve upon.

Like I said, I only work with what I'm provided. I feel like the data itself is incredibly intriguing and proves just how could these shafts do as advertised. In an ideal world, I could compare the CT's in xstiff with a RXT iron head, but I couldn't.

TC that was an excellent review. Sorry I have not commented till now but home has been a little hectic as of late. Crazy results with a Stiff shaft launching lower than XS. Looks like KBS delivered exactly what they said they would.

The beauty of testing for THP is that it's done by average, every day, golf fans and consumers. THP is a huge proponent of consumer testing and feedback, which is one of the things I love about this place. I'm thankful that KBS sent a set of CT's for review and perhaps I shouldn't have compared them to my KBS Tours, but the reality is: it's what I HAVE! What's being lost is that a set of Stiff flex shafts offered a lower launch angle and less spin than an XStiff set. Even though I was using different iron heads, my RXT's are exactly the same loft as the Nike Pro Cavities. I ordered my RXT's one * stronger lofted in the 4-9iron. Again, I do the best with what I have and I hate to have my efforts discounted.

I think your review was awesome TC. You put a shaft in a good head and tested it. Had it been a TT shaft you would have done the same thing. Don't let the one post on FB get you down. I know that all of us who have tested stuff here on THP don't have access to millions of dollars worth of equipment, so we test what we have, however we can, and post our thoughts. I beleive that this type of testing is truly beneficial for us common golfers. I appreciate the time, effort and work you put into this review. I would find it astonishing if anyone with an open and objective mind would discount your testing, review and thoughts. Keep up the good work brother.

Thanks RW! I needed that.

Back