NHL 2011-2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Devils finally got rid of the albatross known as Brian Rolston and his 5.2 million dollars. They traded him to the Islanders for Trent Hunter. If Hunter doesnt get bought out or sent down they cleared $3,062,500 in cap space. If he is sent down or bought out that is over 5 mil in cap space, tacked on to the already 5.5 million dollars. Guess Mr. Parise will be sticking around for a long time.

Think so? I have my doubts that he wants to play 2nd fiddle to Kovalchuck for the rest of his career. I see it more likely he signs a deal to get him to UFA status then bolts.

NYI needed that trade to. I don't think they're at the cap floor as of yet. Can I also just say that a cap floor of 48mil is just silly.

Think so? I have my doubts that he wants to play 2nd fiddle to Kovalchuck for the rest of his career. I see it more likely he signs a deal to get him to UFA status then bolts.

NYI needed that trade to. I don't think they're at the cap floor as of yet. Can I also just say that a cap floor of 48mil is just silly.

Parise and the Devils want him in NJ long term. Parise is not a selfish player and is a team player. He will be a Devil for a long time.

Parise and the Devils want him in NJ long term. Parise is not a selfish player and is a team player. He will be a Devil for a long time.

He's one heck of a USA hockey team member as well, I'm sure he'll get locked up for the long haul in NJ!

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...3/emery-has-work-cut-out-to-make-hawks-roster
News from ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside that the Chicago Blackhawks are bringing in goalie Ray Emery for a tryout during training camp shouldn’t come as a shock.

After all the Hawks don’t have a true veteran netminder in the organization and are relying on an unproven rookie to back-up second year man Corey Crawford. It simply makes sense on several levels.

Having said that, did the Hawks lure Alexander Salak over from Europe with a one-way, two-year deal to start in Rockford or to back-up Crawford right away?

The bottom line is its still Salak’s job to lose. Owners don’t like to pay NHL salaries for players playing in the minors and Salak will make $625,000 no matter where he plays.

Simply put, Salak is signed while Emery is on a tryout but its good insurance -- they needed something in that department--if the Czech netminder can’t find his way early in camp or preseason games.
It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. Emery is a good goalie and would be a great backup to Crawford. Not to mention that Salak has very little NHL experience.
Im not sure that the Hawks are going to pay Salak $600K a year to play in Rockford though, unless Emery is really impressive in training camp

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...3/emery-has-work-cut-out-to-make-hawks-roster

It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. Emery is a good goalie and would be a great backup to Crawford. Not to mention that Salak has very little NHL experience.
Im not sure that the Hawks are going to pay Salak $600K a year to play in Rockford though, unless Emery is really impressive in training camp

i think emery still could be really good if he stays healthy! i loved when he was in Philly even if it was short lived. I actually was in the operating room at the same time as him when i had my sports hernia. i joked with the doctor that was doing our surgeries asking if i was his warm up surgery or if he was mine. I obviously went first! lol

i think emery still could be really good if he stays healthy! i loved when he was in Philly even if it was short lived. I actually was in the operating room at the same time as him when i had my sports hernia. i joked with the doctor that was doing our surgeries asking if i was his warm up surgery or if he was mine. I obviously went first! lol
A lot of people seem to think that he could be a great insurance policy incase Crawford struggles. I also like that he's a physical goalie. IMO, Thomas being such a physical goalie and defending his crease was a major reason why the Canucks struggled so much against him in the SCF. You gotta love a goalie who racks up 30 penalty minutes! LOL
http://www.csnchicago.com/07/28/11/...ng_hawktalk_v3.html?blockID=544326&feedID=625
It's further proof Stan Bowman's serious about bringing a physical element to the Blackhawks. And this could be a more interesting pickup to talk to than Dan Carcillo.

Ray Emery's one goalie who, in his previous NHL life, was not afraid of joining dust-ups, and started more than his share, too. In his best year, on the way to leading Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006-07, he totaled 30 penalty minutes, thanks to a couple of misconducts within a few games of each other. Oh, and he's also worn masks with the likenesses of Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, and Floyd Mayweather on them.

After Philly unloaded there superstars, Rangers have a good chance, adding Brad Richards and resigning key guys such as Dubi/ Callahan/ boyle/ Eminger.. Should be a great season for the Blueshirts.

After Philly unloaded there superstars, Rangers have a good chance, adding Brad Richards and resigning key guys such as Dubi/ Callahan/ boyle/ Eminger.. Should be a great season for the Blueshirts.

rangers always seem to have a good team on paper but never put anything together. But last year you could see their young talent starting to emerge!

The problem is though that the rest of the east is still really strong. The Caps, Pens, Flyers, and Bolts are all going to be strong again this year. Especially the Caps.

The Caps should easily run away with the Presidents trophy. That offense, along with Vokoun is just not good for the rest of the league.

Philly unloading Carter and richards was absurd replacing Jagr for one of them is a joke. Caps Should Run away with it all but there the Caps and they choke. If crosby/malkin come back healthy they should be a good team. Rangers adding Richards and signing young studs we have a chance to make some moves this year in the standings

Philly unloading Carter and richards was absurd replacing Jagr for one of them is a joke. Caps Should Run away with it all but there the Caps and they choke. If crosby/malkin come back healthy they should be a good team. Rangers adding Richards and signing young studs we have a chance to make some moves this year in the standings

What young studs did they sign? They resigned the players that were already on the roster.

The Caps should easily run away with the Presidents trophy. That offense, along with Vokoun is just not good for the rest of the league.

They might, but if I were a caps fan I'd be hoping they didn't, since 2000 only 3 teams have won both the presidents and the stanley. And only three others got to the finals, that leaves 4 that didn't even make it to the finals with the best record. But I will agree, I think the Caps run away in the east.

I can appreciate that standpoint, but we both know that a solid jersey style can make the logo more than just a logo.

Yeah, I mean they are cool, and the references are great, but I am not feeling the execution.

True. It wont matter though because the Caps have developed a reputation of being playoff chokers.

Why not, we're paying ten times that for Baby Huet to sit on his ass in Switzerland?

I've never been an Emery fan because of his ridiculous lack of consistency, but he's always been one of the best athletes in net since he entered the league and he still moves and recovers quick as heck. Now if Waite can teach him to control some rebounds and use his body better to play the angles...

Still, I'm rooting for Salak. Kid had an awesome year in what many hockey fans consider to be the second most talented league in the world (KHL=soft Ruskies)and I could care less about his one bad game as a pro after being called up too early as a 22-year old adjusting to his first year in North America.

Why not, we're paying ten times that for Baby Huet to sit on his ass in Switzerland?

I've never been an Emery fan because of his ridiculous lack of consistency, but he's always been one of the best athletes in net since he entered the league and he still moves and recovers quick as heck. Now if Waite can teach him to control some rebounds and use his body better to play the angles...

Still, I'm rooting for Salak. Kid had an awesome year in what many hockey fans consider to be the second most talented league in the world (KHL=soft Ruskies)and I could care less about his one bad game as a pro after being called up too early as a 22-year old adjusting to his first year in North America.

The only problem with Salak is that he's an untested, unproven goalie. We need someone reliable incase Crawford struggles. Either way, giving Emery a shot is a win-win situation for the Hawks. They havent signed Emery, so they arent playing him anything during training camp.

True. It wont matter though because the Caps have developed a reputation of being playoff chokers.

Yeah, they really have. It is amazing that they choke every year with the talent that they have.

I just hope Crosby and Malkin can get healthy so the Pens can make another run at the cup this year!

a boy from the great white north... naturally had to see what's going on in here... can't wait for the season to get in full swing

a boy from the great white north... naturally had to see what's going on in here... can't wait for the season to get in full swing

Are you an obligated.. err I mean passionate Toronto fan?? When are they going to be competitive again dude?

Are you an obligated.. err I mean passionate Toronto fan?? When are they going to be competitive again dude?

When they get a legit 1st line center, if Riemer can handle the load this year and can dump Komisarek's contract. All in all, they're not that bad of a team really. Burke did entirely overpay for some players (Kom, Kessel, etc) but they're getting to be solid. Will they ever turn into a powerhouse this way? Doubt it unless another Pronger like deal falls into Burke's lap. I can see them being a playoff team, albeit 6th through 8th.

Just my take though. Kwonger is closer to the action so might have some different thoughts.

I don't think Reimer is as great as a lot of people think he is.. He was decent at the end of the year last year but even when he was making saves he appeared to be sluggish getting into position.. I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunity to prove me wrong this year.

We'll see after teams get some video on him and he and his D have had some time to gel. I don't expect much but I'd like to be suprised. I also hope Conolly lights it up this year, that would be a nice feel good story after his injury blight.

Still not a leafs fan though

there's no doubt that every offseason provides some glimmer of optimism for leaf fans abroad. perenially, leafs GMs make moves that either make fans scratch their head or jump out of their seats and i think in the summer of 2011, it was more of the latter than the former. the team didn't get any older and while kessel didn't play with a 'first line center' all of last season, he still led the offensive output with 32-32-64 in 2010-11. a full year with connolly and lupul will change that, albeit the -20 +/- rating probably won't.

as for the goaltending, no one can deny that the tandem of gustavsson-giggy were not helped by a porous defensive corps... and if you can make komo or gunnar your 3rd defensive pairing with JML and limit either of them to 7-8 minutes a game... then that will go a long way to helping the optimus reim get comfortable with a 60-65 gm workload this year. also, staying out of the penalty box will help too. year in year out, the buds are league worst in PK% (2011: 27th, 77.4%; 2010: 30th, 74.6%; 2009: 30th, 74.7%... you get the picture) *stats courtesy of nhl.com

A full year with Connolly... A little optimistic considering he hasn't play a full season since 02/03, but there is no doubt that IF he can stay healthy he'll be a great addition, and the East is always weaker around 8-10 which I think leaves them a great opportunity to sneak into the playoffs.

I also hope Lupul has a ridiculously good year.. I've got him in a keeper league and getting big numbers from him would be clutch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back