When to replace wedges

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
How often do you replace your wedges? Now that you can only buy wedges with the 'new' grooves are you more likely to hold on to your current ones?

When the grooves are worn down and are no longer producing any real spin or control.

You can still buy wedges with the old grooves though

I change my wedges once per year. I have done it this way for a long time now.

How often do you replace your wedges? Now that you can only buy wedges with the 'new' grooves are you more likely to hold on to your current ones?

I just bought 2 sets of wedges with the old grooves. I have no interest in the new grooves, so I hope these hold me over for the next ten years.

I usually change my wedges every other year. How fast they wear down depends on how much you play. I play a few times a week and don't experience problems with spin or control until about 2 years have passed.

when new shiny ones come out.. :desire:

When my groves are worn and no long producing the spin I want. Try to rotate too at least one new wedge a year. I'm still waiting to see what Cleveland sends me.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

If you run your thumbnail down the grooves and it doesnt make the loud clicky sound, its probably time for new wedges.

If you run your thumbnail down the grooves and it doesnt make the loud clicky sound, its probably time for new wedges.

That's the beauty of the TaylorMade xFT Wedges. I know some people arent a fan of the interchangeable faces, but I played a round with a 52* TM XFT this weekend and was a big fan of the wedge.

That's the beauty of the TaylorMade xFT Wedges. I know some people arent a fan of the interchangeable faces, but I played a round with a 52* TM XFT this weekend and was a big fan of the wedge.

Never paid any attention to these, but toyed around with them in the proshop the other day and I really like the weighting of them. I think the interchangeable face thing is pretty cool as long as they keep the faces in supply.

I change my wedges once per year. I have done it this way for a long time now.

Must be nice. Perks of the job. :jealous: :)

I've had my :eidolon: wedges for about a year and the grooves still give me plenty of spin. Brand new draw it back 20ft spin? No, but still enough to bounce and check. They are pre 2011 grooves so maybe that helps.

Never paid any attention to these, but toyed around with them in the proshop the other day and I really like the weighting of them. I think the interchangeable face thing is pretty cool as long as they keep the faces in supply.

I had seen them but never really thought about gaming one. Read some reviews on here, as well as a review through a google search and had they drew my interest. Luckily a friend has a 52* and a 56*, so I borrowed the 52* to get a feel for it and it out preformed my current Callaway wedges. Trying to find a good price on them currently.

Good thread I've been thinking the same thing about my wedges can anyone from the Morgan Cup with XFT's comment on their performance

I've never had to buy wedges due to groove-loss. Maybe I should hit the sweet spot more often? LOL

The only correct answer is, "as needed". The common suggestion is to replace your wedges annually but depending upon how much you play and even more importantly, how many bunker shots you hit with them; it can greatly effect how quickly your wedges wear.
I replace mine when the grooves start to look worn or when Im not getting the spin that Im used to getting from them. Wedges are definetly clubs that you shouldnt be getting too attached to.

About once a year.

It's easy with the XFTs, you just swap out faces and you are on your way.

Sounds like most change their wedges quite frequently. I'm not sure at what point the new rounded grooves would outperform worn out square grooves.

I don't have an actual timeline. I will change mine when I feel it is necessary.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, I think ill get new ones at the beginning of each golf season.

I've been wondering how to tell if your grooves are shot. My 56° looks like its grooves are going, but I don't know if that's just me being a club ho or not.

I have never replaced a worn out wedge, but I have replaced wedges.

I've been wondering how to tell if your grooves are shot. My 56° looks like its grooves are going, but I don't know if that's just me being a club ho or not.

Replace 'em, more fun that way. If you hit a new wedge next to your old ones, you'd notice. I just look to see if I'm losing a ball reaction I am used to.

Considering I have a groove sharpener, I haven't replaced mine in about 2 years, and they still work as well as ever.

Good thread I've been thinking the same thing about my wedges can anyone from the Morgan Cup with XFT's comment on their performance

im not in the morgan cup but i got 4 XFT's 52*,56*,60* and 64* with the old grooves and i LOVE them. i was worried that with the face they wouldn't feel good or spin well but they are def worth the investment. i also stocked up on some new face plates.

Back