Let's talk about swing speed.

Not going to armchair coach your movements, but one of the big things for me is ball training. You can speed train and get fast but at some point you have to apply it to a golf ball. And get comfortable swinging at a golf ball with things you've learned to do faster. There's lots of good systems to gain speed. There aren't a lot for the mental barriers over a golf ball and translating speed to course. So I encourage you at points along the way to hit the range and spend some time going absolutely apesh*t on an actual golf ball.
This is why I like the Kyle Berkshire method of overspeed training. It's hitting balls with your driver. Right now I am warming up with 20 iron shots and then hitting 40 driver shots swinging as hard as I can with no care of result where the ball goes. Interestingly enough my dispersion is crazy good compared to my normal driver speed outside of my extreme misses where my arms/hands get "too fast" (likely flipping before impact) and going way left. Two sessions in and confidence in my driving has skyrocketed.

Go find a good teaching pro online or in person. Get their advice and work your tail off.

Then roll up one end a bit into a ball.

it adds just a little weight. With it being so soft you will feel super fast where you are dumping speed. It help you feel like you are. Developing speed through the ball towards your target rather than throwing it all away behind you.

image.jpg

Go find a good teaching pro online or in person. Get their advice and work your tail off.
I'd rather do it here. There are plenty of guys on THP that swing it fast.

i am reading this thread out of curiosity. i have tried all kinds of things to increase speed. my last lesson on a trackman, the whole goal was to get my driver swing speed to 95mph and i just got slower throughout the lesson.

i know it has to be ground forces and sequencing but am just lost at making it happen. the one time i tried speed sticks, i hurt my back :(

Then roll up one end a bit into a ball.

it adds just a little weight. With it being so soft you will feel super fast where you are dumping speed. It help you feel like you are. Developing speed through the ball towards your target rather than throwing it all away behind you.

View attachment 9238626
I really like this and bet I'm going to figure out real quick where I need to be more efficient or change the motion. Hopefully, it starts to narrow things down for me.

i am reading this thread out of curiosity. i have tried all kinds of things to increase speed. my last lesson on a trackman, the whole goal was to get my driver swing speed to 95mph and i just got slower throughout the lesson.

i know it has to be ground forces and sequencing but am just lost at making it happen. the one time i tried speed sticks, i hurt my back :(
That's exactly what this thread is for my man! I hope you and I both find some answers on this quest together!

I really like this and bet I'm going to figure out real quick where I need to be more efficient or change the motion. Hopefully, it starts to narrow things down for me.
You don’t have to swing hard. Swing smooth and with constant power input.

Is that basically a poor man’s orange whip trainer? My coach has me use that to feel that snap as far past the ball as I could get it

1. I just got done watching the whole video you linked a few minutes ago. I think that kind of explores this concept as well. I like the idea of the feels they are talking about and I'm going to mess around with those feels of dropping my ass straight into the ground before the downswing.

2. Control. I have an issue with trying to guide the ball and I think that not completing a swing gives me the illusion of being more in control. It's that thing I talked about in my first post about tensing up.
That #2 is a struggle. I noticed I even have the tendency to do it with the speed sticks 🤦, which is why I’ve been focusing on making sure I hold my finish with swing work recently. The swings in the Stack sessions where I fall into those habits are usually a few MPH slower.

There's always the YouTube rabbit hole. I've heard there are a ton of ways to start leveraging your lower half that not only support your golf swing, but also work as a decent exercise.

Let's go on this adventure together haha

Understood and admittedly swinging hard and trying to "do to much" with my swing is a major fault of mine.

Last year @Scooby45 said to me "It looks like you are trying to do too much" that stuck with me and I've never forgotten it. I think that's the nature of the beast with me though. I spend so much time grinding away on my swing, obsessing over video, changing things, that yes, when I get out there I do to much because my brain is filled to absolute compacity. It's a real issue and something I need to continue to figure out how to compartmentalize when playing golf.

Is that basically a poor man’s orange whip trainer? My coach has me use that to feel that snap as far past the ball as I could get it
I like homemade solutions. Have you seen my taped toilet paper roll swing path guides?

Last year @Scooby45 said to me "It looks like you are trying to do too much" that stuck with me and I've never forgotten it.
Close the thread. We found the problem!

Who listens to a guy who hits 4 deg down with driver?!? 😝

I really like Danny Maude, his stuff helped me a TON in my short game. I usually watch most of his stuff but I must have missed this one. I'll give this a watch.

This is the one I wanted to post.I need to get off of YouTube golf video instruction.Literally can watch this stuff for hours.

Danny Maude always has a way of explaining things in a way that make sense to me. I feel like I have a little more understanding of what I'm supposed to FEEL when using ground forces.

That's very big with me I have to know what something is supposed to FEEL like. Not just someone telling me how to do it.

I need to go buy a medicine ball to throw around in the warehouse.

Wow. Swing speed was never talked about years ago. It was always the opposite. I remember my high school coach constantly yelling at us to “quit swinging so hard!” ”This isn’t baseball! Smooth control is what I want.” “Golf is a game of skill, accuracy, and control.” ”Quit trying to kill it!”

Ive never tried to “kill it” or overswing. Always taught to swing within myself. By trying to increase your swing speed, you are increasing your odds of errors. Same in tennis, people always want to hit harder faster serves. As they swing faster……the errors pile up. My biggest challenge in teaching tennis.
I believe the advent of Trackman etc. made people aware of their swing speed….now everyone is in a speed competition to swing faster than someone else. No thanks.

Danny Maude always has a way of explaining things in a way that make sense to me. I feel like I have a little more understanding of what I'm supposed to FEEL when using ground forces.

That's very big with me I have to know what something is supposed to FEEL like. Not just someone telling me how to do it.

I need to go buy a medicine ball to throw around in the warehouse.
I stumbled upon that video the other day and thought the timing of your post was perfect. I can't wait to go to the range and give these concepts a go. I'm not expecting miracles, but I'll take improvement any day.

Like you, I've always liked the way Danny explained things. ;)

Wow. Swing speed was never talked about years ago. It was always the opposite. I remember my high school coach constantly yelling at us to “quit swinging so hard!” ”This isn’t baseball! Smooth control is what I want.” “Golf is a game of skill, accuracy, and control.” ”Quit trying to kill it!”

Ive never tried to “kill it” or overswing. Always taught to swing within myself. By trying to increase your swing speed, you are increasing your odds of errors. Same in tennis, people always want to hit harder faster serves. As they swing faster……the errors pile up. My biggest challenge in teaching tennis.
I believe the advent of Trackman etc. made people aware of their swing speed….now everyone is in a speed competition to swing faster than someone else. No thanks.
There is so much data telling us that hitting it further off the tee directly translates to lower scores.

I think some of what you are saying is true and I’m finding out over the past few years is that just like your high school coach said swinging it ‘hard’ isn’t what we want, trying to ‘kill the ball’ isn’t what we want.

What we want is to swing smooth and fast THROUGH the ball. I’m finding out that it so much different than swinging hard at the the ball. That’s my roadblock.

Back