Which irons to try?

tour edge makes some of the best products out there.

never hit tour edge equipment except for a few 3 woods which were amazing.

Another vote for the Nike VR Pro Combo's. Easily the best set I have hit in ages.

Along with the RAZR X Tours i would also try the RAZR Forged. They are nice.

I think the top of my list right now are

Callaway Razr X tour
Taylormade MC
Titliest AP2
Mizuno MP-63 & 53
Nike Victory Red Pro Combo

wish the R11s just came out so i could try them as well.

Why wouldn't you wait at this point to try the R11 if that's something you're looking at? It's only another month or so away and stores should be getting demo clubs in for the pre orders.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I am glad to see the VR Pro Combo irons on your list - Nike really took a different approach with the combo set and they have a winner; no doubt!

But, I will also say to try as many as you can...what works for one does not work for all. You might be surprised and find something not on your short list is what fits your game better than everything else.

And also possibly more important is making sure you get the right shaft in the club for you. Even if it means finding the head through feel, etc and then hopping on the Mizuno shaft optimizer to find the right shaft.

Best of luck!!

Mizuno doesn't have a bad stick in their stable right now, the 63's are great sticks.

Mizuno doesn't have a bad stick in their stable right now, the 63's are great sticks.

Just got back from the course. Played today and shot a 72. Hit 10 greens, the irons were off a little bit today. After my round i went up to the range with a few mizuno irons as my head pro really recommended them and the shaft optimizer. I hit 3 balls with the shaft optimizer as recommended by my pro and got these results:

swing speed/Tempo/Toe Down/Kick Angle/Release Factor

Swing 1:95/4/2/7/4
Swing 2:95/4/2/6/3
Swing 3:98/4/2/5/3

With these results my Pro recommended 2 shafts, the DGX100 and the Project X 6.5.

Unfortunately the course im a member of is city owned and the city recently purchased the pro shop from the head pro so the amount of merchandise and demo equipment went way down, so i didn't get to hit a wide selection of irons. I hit AP1, AP2, Titleist ZBs, Mizuno JPX-800 Pros, MP-53, MP-63s, and the C16s. Without a doubt id say the MP-63s felt the best especially with the Project X 6.5 shaft. Wednesday i'm going to go to Dicks and hit the Razr X tour irons along with the Nike Pro combos and a few others that my course didn't have. Was kinda disappointed at the club selections but i knew it wasn't my pro's fault as the selection as went down since the City took over. At least i feel i got a very good iron to compare others to when i hit now, and my pro also recommended maybe waiting til the MP-69s come out which should be in a couple months, so ill also be able to test the R11s as bgammil recommended.

I've been looking for release dates online for the MP-69s and MP-59s and I can't find them does anyone know when they come out?

I was told after the PGA show, but JB would probably know for sure..

I was told after the PGA show, but JB would probably know for sure..

That's in what January? I don't think i want to wait that long for a new set of irons looking no later then next month and that's only so i could possibly hit the R11s but i might have found my iron before then.

I hear ya man, don't discount the 68's either, they are brilliant.

I hear ya man, don't discount the 68's either, they are brilliant.

yea my pro said to hit the 68's but i didn't have time. Going to Dicks on Wednesday to hit more irons that my course didn't have, then back to my course on thursday to hit the 68s and potentially place and order if i have picked something out.

Big purchase coming up, I recommend having an open mind to any brand of clubs and just trying them all that are available to you. I just bought new clubs a month ago and spent about 5- 2 hour sessions testing about 8 brands. After the 3 sessions, I narrowed it down to 4 brands and spent the last 2 sessions, multiple irons from each set. It took awhile and you don't need to spend as much time as I did, but testing all the clubs was half the fun and I know 100% I made the right choice for me.

A lot of good advice here. Don't sell yurself short, don't worry about what brand it is. Take notes and go with the ones that meet the criteria best that you are looking for. Keep an open mind.

Alex

If your handicap is a two I would bet you can hit anything so try them all. The best iron I have hit in the past 6 months is probably the Anser forged. Razr X Forged are a close second. I am a 5 and I play MP32s right now but what I am probably going to do before summer is go to a combo set of my own mix, maybe keep the 32s for 7 and up and pick up a 4,5, and 6 in something a little easier to hit, not sure what exactly but probably Mizuno and definitely something that requires a little less repetition to stay sharp with than the 32s demand right now.

Well i have hit a decent number of irons maybe not as many as i should have but the top ones that i wanted to i hit and have narrowed it down to two so far. The Taylormade MCs and Mizuno MP-63s. I'm still waiting on a release date from my head pro on the MP-59s and MP-69s before i choose. Hit the R11s and Razr X Tours today along with the MCs. They all hit fairly well but id say the MCs felt the purest. I also liked the look of these the best as well. I personally felt the Razr x Tours and R11s were a bit bigger then what i am looking for.

I hit the r11 6 iron Tuesday and really liked it. I also want to hit the TM CB as well to get a comparison. Hopefully by the holiday season I will have resources to make a purchase.

Glad to see :mizuno: on your list. Great, underrated clubs right there!

Some of my favorites:

1. Nike VR Pro (especially since you're a Nike guy already)
2. Mizuno MP series (with your 2 hdcp)
3. TaylorMade R9 TPs

Personally, the Mizunos are my favorite, but I unfortunately bought an iron set last year and probably won't be changing for another 2

I love my W/S Ci9's,you should demo them they are great.

Well i have mine irons picked out for the most part unless the MP-59 & 69s come out the next month, then i'll wait and rethink my decision. As of right now I'm going to be getting a combo set between the MP-63s & 68s. I'm still debating what to get in the 6 iron, but the 4 and 5 irons will be 63s while the 7 8 9 and PW will be the MP-68s. I'll be getting the True Temper Dynamic Gold x100 shafts in it. The ultimate decision for these shafts over the Project X 6.5s was the weight and ball flight. Golf Pride New Decade Mulitcompound white or light blue grips will be the choice. These are the best irons i hit and i'll be getting them unless the 59s and 69s come out soon which i should know tomorrow as the Mizuno Rep will be stopping by my home course tomorrow.

Back