Travelling With Clubs?

Travelling With Clubs?

• I put a plastic bag around my normal golf bag and off I go

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have a travel hybrid bag / hard case.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I have a soft travel cover --> works just fine!

Votes: 76 67.9%
  • I don't, I just rent

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
I have used a hard case and it is great for the airline part of the trip but not so good for the rental car and hotel room. My club glove soft cover works just fine, I always take the head off the driver and put it in a pocket because it is the longest club, been doing that since the removable head driver came along. Still get uneasy with baggage handlers.

I have the hard travel bag that you actually play out of and the soft travel bag. I prefer to take my own golf bag so I use the soft version with no problems.

I roll with the soft case. Actually picked up a cheap one from wally world since I left my other one in NC when I moved to hell (read Florida). It worked perfectly, except for tsa cutting my tsa approved lock and leaving every pocket open. get a stiff arm for sure though if you decide on a soft case, $25 well spent.

I have traveled atleast 8 or 9 times with my soft case and never had any problems. I have also never locked mine or had all the pockets opened up. I wonder if they get mad that you lock it so they open all your stuff?

The last time I traveled I rented a hard case and everything ended up fine. Recently I picked up a soft case. I am going to take some advice from this thread about protecting them. I will update how it goes when I return next week.

I have a club glove roller bag for club travel. Never an issue and easy to transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be traveling in October and are trying to put the final touches on all those items I don't use all the time but will probably bring just in case, like rain gear, rain gloves and the dreaded travel case. I'm still undecided on hard skb case vs a soft cover like a club glove. The question that still continues to pop into my mind is locking mechanism, with the hard cases it's only a few latches, with most of the soft cases it's a few zippers and a few buckles. Does anyone have a glowing review of theirs that they absolutely love, or is it kind of a it works but I don't love it kind of thing?

Glad this thread was started. I was just thinking about this after not having my clubs with me this last trip and wishing I had. I know now what I need to get!

I have a hard case and found that shipping it to the hotel I'm staying at is cheaper than paying $50 for a second checked bag. Also, I don't have to haul it to the airport or wedge it in a small rental car. The thing is big enough for a staff bag so it barely fits in most large cars or SUVs.

Also, since I'm shipping it, I pack in all of my non-carry on items (i.e. razor, bathroom stuff) in it as well so I can get by with just one carry on, no checked bag, saving me some money. Fed-Ex makes sure it will be there in a day or two depending on what I want to pay so there are no worries of missed connecting flights. Plus, I can zip tie it closed and trust that it is being handled better than the airport crew would do to it.

I use an Ogio soft case and haven't had any problems. I see lots of recommendations for the Stiff Arm. Have folks had problems without the Stiff Arm or is it additional preventative peace of mind (or both)?

Last edited:
Oops, I answered wrong. I thought plastic bag meant hard bag. I am here in Florida from California, and I put my bag into a hard cover travel bag, and put headcovers on ALL of my clubs, then run my towel through them. Better safe than sorry I say!

I use an Ogio soft case and haven't had any problems. I see lots of recommendations for the Stiff Arm. Have folks had problems without the Stiff Arm or is it additional preventative peace of mind (or both)?

Additional peace of mind. If they drop the bag heads first, it will land on the stiff arm.

Traveling with clubs

Traveling with clubs

Has any one taken there clubs on vac. ??? We are planning a trip this winter and debating on taking mine or renting worried air line might lose or destroy them???

Check out the search bar on this one. There are literally 20 great threads on both traveling with clubs as well as reviews on travel cases.

Watching Golf on TV right now and there is a comercial on shipping your clubs FedEx to your hotel . another option if your afraid to go through the air line .

Watching Golf on TV right now and there is a comercial on shipping your clubs FedEx to your hotel . another option if your afraid to go through the air line .
I rented when I went to Florida a few weeks ago. I regret not taking mine.

I took my clubs to england and Pheonix this year. You need a golf travel bag for 1. All you need to do is check in the bag like you would for a suitcase, pay the however much money, make sure they put the fragile tag on it, and pick the bag up in the oversized luggage area.

get a travel bag and check in to your flight at least an hour early. I've traveled with my clubs a few times and I had no issues.
Just as a precaution, I padded the travel bag with towels so it absorbs unwanted shock. Also, I used old socks to cover my irons and wedges so that they won't get dented/damaged.

I took my clubs to england and Pheonix this year. You need a golf travel bag for 1. All you need to do is check in the bag like you would for a suitcase, pay the however much money, make sure they put the fragile tag on it, and pick the bag up in the oversized luggage area.

get a travel bag and check in to your flight at least an hour early. I've traveled with my clubs a few times and I had no issues.
Just as a precaution, I padded the travel bag with towels so it absorbs unwanted shock. Also, I used old socks to cover my irons and wedges so that they won't get dented/damaged.

Seriously, we have a ton of threads on this already.

I used bubble wrap around my club heads. Works well.

Interesting thread. I am traveling and bought a Club Glove Last Bag XL and going to get a stiff arm too. I am also tempted to bubble wrap my woods and put my irons face down into the bag.

Merged this with a recent thread.

I bought a hard case, I figured that I had spent way to much money on my clubs to trust them in a soft case.

I had a soft case. TSA decided to go through my back and bust the zipper while trying to "put it back together". I will be buying or renting a hard case in the future.

I bought a hard case, I figured that I had spent way to much money on my clubs to trust them in a soft case.

I don't have an issue using a soft case with the Stiff Arm. If you use a hard case, you need to make sure it fits in the rental car.

Back