Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

I, too, got the six pack of Pentas through the recent promo. I have been alternating rounds using the Penta and the ProV1 and I am impressed. I have been playing Titleists top offerings for many years. I have played other balls off and on but always came back to Titleist but that may change. I get similar spin and control on chips and pitches and, I think, I am getting 5-10 more yards on full shots.

I will continue to use both until I run low and will have to decide which way to go but I am leaning toward TM.

There's only one downside and it's not a big one for me. They are not very durable. The wedges tend to scuff them up after less than 18 holes. This isn't a big issue for me, though, as I tend to lose 1-2 balls a game.

I agree 100% on the durability, I was very disappointed with that, otherwise I love them, plus 3 dozen for the price of 2 works for me!

That's interesting.. I have found them to be as durable if not more durable than most of the other top tier balls I have used.

What kind of wedges are you guys using? My old TM rac TP wedges used to eat balls, but my VR Pro wedges don't do that much at all.

That's interesting.. I have found them to be as durable if not more durable than most of the other top tier balls I have used.

What kind of wedges are you guys using? My old TM rac TP wedges used to eat balls, but my VR Pro wedges don't do that much at all.

The wedges I use are Vokey sand wedge (probably the one that scuffs the balls the most), R7 Draw pitching, MacGregor gap and Taylor Made Burner lob. The Vokey seems to have the roughest face. Your results may vary depending on what wedges you play.

They seemed very durable to me, but I was getting too much spin off the driver with them. They felt great off the irons and putting, but my occasional fade with the driver was turning into more of a slice - not huge, just enough to get me into trouble. I still have 3 new sleeves of them that I would trade someone for either Pro V1X's or Z-Star XV's. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
The wedges I use are Vokey sand wedge (probably the one that scuffs the balls the most), R7 Draw pitching, MacGregor gap and Taylor Made Burner lob. The Vokey seems to have the roughest face. Your results may vary depending on what wedges you play.

I'm pretty confident you're right.. Might be worth pursuing some new conforming wedges if you don't like the durability.. I can easily get a full round or more out of a Penta now that I have wedges that don't eat balls up.

im a big fan of the Penta's as well, a solid all around ball for sure

I'm okay shredding the cover of a ball. I usually lose 'em before I really shred the covers to the point where I won't play them.

Great golf ball. My only knock on them is the durability. Seems like my wedges tear up the cover a bit.
I am confident in this ball and can drive them far and straight. Love the Pentas!

Played with the ProV1x yesterday and was really impressed by it, I normally play with the Penta TPs and have been really impressed by the them. If they do bring out this new lower dimple ball i will be straight onto to it, really liked the old TM TP Black but that came and went far too quickly. TM need to find a good ball and keep it going.

I think having the new groves gives you less of a chance at tearing away at this ball. I really noticed durability issues when playing with a set of Wilson's from a couple years back with the old groves.

Wedges are cg14 Cleveland

I love these balls. Soft sound off the putter, great feel around the greens also. I especially like the sound and feel coming off the driver. I usually play the Callaway i (z) which are firmer and sound like a rock off the driver. I believe I will be switching to the Penta permanently.

I think having the new groves gives you less of a chance at tearing away at this ball. I really noticed durability issues when playing with a set of Wilson's from a couple years back with the old groves.

Wedges are cg14 Cleveland

Do you find the same durability issues with ProV's or other top tier balls? I know when I used my TM rac TPs I tore the core of just about any ball I used... At the range on the mats I'd have to wipe the ball shavings out of the grooves of my wedges after every couple shots. It was ridiculous.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in distance with these coming from a ProV1X? I'm a full club shorter with my irons. Had 163 to the stick with no wind and that is a perfect 8i for me. I barely cleared the trap in the front of the green when the pin was +4 from the center of the green. I switched back to the ProV1X after that hole and all my yardages were back to normal. I've played 3 rounds with them, so I know it's not an anomaly..esp after my yardages going right back to normal the next hole. Anyone finding these results?

I've never had a problem with yardages with the Penta. I know I don't hit the ProV as far off the tee as a Penta but never had issues with my iron distance between the two. Sometime wish I could play the either ProV but the produce WAY too much spin.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Best bal

Best bal

I love my pentas and I think everyone should give them a try​

Has anyone else noticed a drop in distance with these coming from a ProV1X? I'm a full club shorter with my irons. Had 163 to the stick with no wind and that is a perfect 8i for me. I barely cleared the trap in the front of the green when the pin was +4 from the center of the green. I switched back to the ProV1X after that hole and all my yardages were back to normal. I've played 3 rounds with them, so I know it's not an anomaly..esp after my yardages going right back to normal the next hole. Anyone finding these results?

No. I have not had the same experience as you. I have found the iron distances with the Penta pretty close to what I find with the Prov1x. The only time I really see a difference is when there is wind in my face. In that situation, I find that the prov1x travels a bit further (I get a slightly higher ball flight with the penta).

I switched from the V1x to the Penta last year and I noticed and increase in distance on must clubs.

The one thing I do notice about Penta's off the tee, you don't always get a lot of extra roll. I have a somewhat high ball flight and sometimes I can get a little extra roll out of some other balls, but not the Penta. That's okay though because I can compress it off the tee better than V1 or V1x which both seem a little hard to me. All in all, it is a great ball and I will continue to have it as my gamer!

I bought one box of Penta's. I don't think I to the point where the ball makes that big of difference to my game. Hopefully in a few years I can worry about that!!

I played over at Jonesco with Ole Gray today and decided to play a sleeve of the Pentas that came in the 6 pack a couple of weeks ago. Man is this a great ball, I have had back problems this entire year and actually have been able to swing through the ball for only the past 2 weeks. I had tried the Penta's at my visit to The Kingdom in March and was relatively neutural about them, they seemed to be good balls but not better than my ball of choice the RX, that thought may change now that I can finish my swing through the ball.
I hit a perfect little baby draw off the 1st tee and thought to myself that was a nice hit. It was actually longer that usual on the 1st hole and I noticed it but thought it was mostly roll. I hit a 3 wood on the second hole, again a baby draw and low and behold it was in the range of where I have hit my driver on that hole the few times I have pulled it there. The 3rd hold is a par 3 and I missed to the right with a true push, I was about 20 yards from the hole and hit a SW low that hit, skipped, and stopped within 4 feet of where it landed for a 1 foot putt for par. The next a par 4 I absolutely bombed and was only 71 yards from the flag, the closest I have ever been to that green and the flag was on the back tier, probably 10 full yards closer to that green than ever. The good shots were like this all day long, moving the way I wanted them to and not rolling out a ton which is a real problem at Jonesco, I had a blast. I plan to put them in play Wednesday at my weekly blitz and see if the honeymoon continues.
I will be testing in the blind ball test starting in a couple of day as mdbuschsr had a real emergency come up and asked GG & JB to allow him to send them on to another tester. I will be comparing the blind ball to the Penta and the RX as those are the balls I am most familar with. Looking forward to the test and am wondering if the mystery ball, Penta or RX will be the ball I am playing in a few months.

I received my 2 sleeves from TM a couple of weeks ago and really like what I see from these balls. Initially I was afraid that they were not long enough off the tee but so far that has not been the case from me. They seem to be very similar in length to the Pro V1s I play which is fine but I am really liking them aroudn the greens. I seem to have more consistent spin on the longer wedge shots yet on the short finesse shots they jsut feel incredibly soft and a joy to hit. I think I'm going to run out and grab 3 dozen on the buy 2 get 1 free deal and game these from the rest of the season. I'm curious as to how they will perform as the weather gets cooler.

Being playing between these and the pro v1x and prefer the Pentas. They are just as long, if not longer and have amazing spin on the green. For some reason I putt better with these too.

I guess I'm the anomaly then, not the golf balls. lol

Sadly, back to my ProV1X. I was really looking forward to saving $$ per box of golf balls. :(

I've been using the Pentas for a while now, and one thing I've noticed is an increase in short iron and wedge spin on approaches. I've always been able to get a ball to hit and stop, maybe spin it back a little bit, but since I switched to the Pentas I've been spinning it back much more. Yesterday, 173yd Par 3, flew a 7 iron over the spin and spun it back to about 2 feet. Ball mark was probably 12-13 feet from the hole. Used to use ProV1xs and they sure as heck didn't have that much spin on them.

My only issue is driver spin with these balls. They carry well, and they are a long ball, but they really seem to exaggerate any mishit. What would have been a bad pull or push with my old prov1xs is now a hook or slice with the Pentas. It makes me reconsider my club choice off the tee box a lot of times now.

Back