18* Hybrid Vs. 5 Wood?

Custom Method

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I was at golf galaxy and decided to try the TM Rescue 11 18* Hybrid and wasn't hitting great. I was hitting it only like 170 where my 21* averages 190. My swing wasn't *great* today and I was hitting of a mat which is def. different than good ol turf, I talked to the Rep and he said since I have a lower swing speed I would be better off going with a 5 wood, he said an 18* hybrid takes a real fast swing to get it up and going whereas a 5 wood dosent, I'm sure part of this is personal preference but is there any truth to that?

Thanks

Great question! Sorry, don't know myself but interested in the responses.

Today I was at golf galaxy and decided to try the TM Rescue 11 18* Hybrid and wasn't hitting great. I was hitting it only like 170 where my 21* averages 190. My swing wasn't *great* today and I was hitting of a mat which is def. different than good ol turf, I talked to the Rep and he said since I have a lower swing speed I would be better off going with a 5 wood, he said an 18* hybrid takes a real fast swing to get it up and going whereas a 5 wood dosent, I'm sure part of this is personal preference but is there any truth to that?

Thanks

That is the first time I have ever heard that. That doesn't mean it's not true but from what I know of the golf swing, it's a false statement. I know plenty of guys with slower swings that play hybrids very well.
My guess is that the combo of shaft, swing and head aided in your short results. A different shaft may help. I wasn't there so I can only offer an educated guess.
I hit my hybrid longer than a 5w every day of the week. I have more control and more shots available to me with the hybrid.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

The jury is still out for me on whether I prefer the 18 or the 5 wood.. At this point, I'm going with neither in order to carry an extra wedge.

I think the 5 wood might be easier to hit, but it's also a bigger miss I think.

I found a 5 wood to be longer but not by much, probably due to the longer shaft.The 18 degree hybrid was more consistent though.
Some people are better with fairways than hybrids but I can't see why a slower swing speed would get a 18/19 degree 5 wood airbourne easier than a 18 degree hybrid. Maybe try the superfast 2.0 hybrid its a peach.

I found a 5 wood to be longer but not by much, probably due to the longer shaft.The 18 degree hybrid was more consistent though.
Some people are better with fairways than hybrids but I can't see why a slower swing speed would get a 18/19 degree 5 wood airbourne easier than a 18 degree hybrid. Maybe try the superfast 2.0 hybrid its a peach.

draw weighted..scares me cause of my hook haha..I really need to get some solid testing done on turf

I do tend to hook as well but did not with the superfast but did hook the mashie.Still prefer my B Jones mind.

Thanks

I dont believe this at all. I have let some older folks hit mine and they couldn't believe it, its all about contact and a good swing. I really don't think SS has anything to do with it. One thing I see a lot of people doing is playing hybrids like a wood. I have read and been told to play hybrids the same way you would an iron, but some cant hit them as well as woods. I am iffy with woods and hit hybrids better so its different for everyone.

I have no clue about swing speed and club selection but I will say this, check out the Mashie hybrid. This club rewards you when you have a nice controlled swing and generally penalizes you when you try to over swing it. It might be a best of both worlds solution for you.

Hybrids are easier for me to hit than fairway woods. Just my personal opinion and you should be able to decide what works best for you consistency.

There is an article in this months Golf Digest (Sept isssue) by a top 100 best clubfitter that says when the loft gets below 20 degrees, average golfers should go with a fairway wood.

I could see the 5-wood being better for a slower swing simply because it has a longer shaft. Id still take the versatility of the hybrid though.

I switched my Cobra 5 wood for a Burner 3 Hybrid (19*) and have never been happier. The 3 hybrid is my 190-200yd club and is about 75% more consistent than my 5 wood which was about 5-10 yds longer. What I really like about it is that it gets really high and plays especially good from bad lies, roughs etc. I've a faster swing, so it might be why the 3 hybrid is working better for me.

There was an article in golf digest that I will try to find that said for slower swinging players the fairway would go farther. I think it was up to 12 yards or something like that. They said for fast swinging players or pros, that hybrids would be roughly 4 yards shorter, and more accurate. But if you hit the hybrid more consistent get a hybrid.

Back