PGA Flexes muscles over bib

Bad choice of words, we all agree that AS is talented. I think SW is a strong enough persoaliythat he might just add a little to the psychie of Adam Scott. Maybe a push in the bleive in yourself department. I mean SW has spent countless years next to some of the strongest minds in golf. He had to have learned a thing or tow about winning and how not to loose. SW, IMO, has a little something special to add to that tandem.

It would be nice if he could.

But if someone has to have that "dragged out of them", perhaps it really isn't there to begin with.

Bad choice of words, we all agree that AS is talented. I think SW is a strong enough persoaliythat he might just add a little to the psychie of Adam Scott. Maybe a push in the bleive in yourself department. I mean SW has spent countless years next to some of the strongest minds in golf. He had to have learned a thing or tow about winning and how not to loose. SW, IMO, has a little something special to add to that tandem.

There's no doubt that Scott is stoked right now and that Williams has a lot to do with that and I wouldn't be surprised if Scott wins the WGC or possibly the PGA next week.

But if either happens, I'd like to see what he would do after the "Stevie" buzz wears off.
Scott is a very talented player and according to his skill set he should be able to rack up a series of majors and so far it's been close, but no cigar.
I still wonder if he really has it in him to go after the big wins like Tiger or Jack or others who have done so; after all, not everyone who plays professional golf is there to win majors and become an icon of the game.
I remember once when Bruce Lietzke said in an interview that he plays golf so he can go fishing and maybe Scott is geared more towards that type of thinking.
After all, there's a lot of drama and baggage that goes with being a superstar and not everyone is cut out for that.

I know that he's got something like 20 wins worldwide and that some of them have indeed been "Marquee" events like the Players and the Deutsche Bank and of course he was T2 at the Masters so maybe he's getting set for a run and maybe Williams will be the catalyst for that.

Or maybe the buzz will wear off and he'll just be another in a long list of "elite" second-tier players.

We'll see...

As others have said around golf and I think even here, the big change for Adam Scott is in his putting. He has gone from a very inconsistent even poor putter with a great golf swing to a very solid putter with a great golf swing. I even think much of this new found focus that people are talking about has less to do with SW and more to do with Adam having the confidence that when he gets to the green he will not make everything that went before it look meaningless because he can't reliably drain a 4 footer.

I think giving up strokes on the green is stunningly debilitating for the pros. Being talented enough as a putter to make up ground on the competition with your putter is one thing but losing strokes to them with the putter regularly is quite another. Look at how damaging it has been to Sergio over the period when he could not make a putt to save his life.

I still do really question whether the belly putter should be allowed on tour especially when you look at what it has done in Adam's case. I don't wish Adam harm. I think he has even said that he does not like the belly putter but as long as it is legal and it helps him, he is going to use it. Can't fault him for that.

I can't think of anything in golf that changes how a golfer executes a fundamental golf stroke like the belly putter does and I can't think of any other club modification or advance that holds the potential to change a golfer's stature and ability to win on tour. While driver technology and shaft technology has gone nuts in the last decade, they have not turned golfers that are mediocre drivers into great drivers relative to their peers.

Stevie will now be re-introduced to the 3 basic rules of caddying......Show up. Keep up. Shut up.

What Scott goes double-digit in the majors win column, with Stevie on the bag, he can start taking the bib off again.

Spoken like a true Tiger zombie...I mean fan.

Sounds to me like they may be pulling back the reigns after his comments yesterday, I'm not so sure this has anything to do with being TW's caddy on not being his caddy. They may be telling him to shut up and act like the pro he is.

I think he's a little more than that...regardelss of whether he's on TW's bag or not........sure he owes his 'brand' to Tiger but it's not like he's Joe Caddy

interesting timing then....being with TW had it's privledges.

I view this statement differently, Let's say Adam Scott goes on a major tear from this point forward for the next 10 years. I mean multiple wins a year, WGCs and Majors included. He becomes #1 with SW on the bag. Will the tour give him the same treatment they have and still give to Tiger. I mean if this were to happen, AS would be the face of the tour. SW got to do what he wanted because he carried and enforced for the face of the tour for 13 years. I think TW letting SW go was the best thing he has done in the last 2 years. It is going to re-ignite that love for the game we saw in AS when he first burst onto the the scene with his TW like swing...hehe :banana:

Not even close, dude. I'm not a fan of TW. I'm a fan of golf, with a lean towards the more traditional part of game. No one is special. I don't care how many wins they have.

But, the fact is, Stevie got away with a lot of stuff because of who he was caddying for. The only reason you know who SW is, is because of who he caddied for. Now that he's on the bag for a guy with 0 majors, the PGA has now decided the crack the whip. I am merely pointing out that if AS ever goes on a TW major run, the spineless suits will throttle back on their enforcement and let SW do whatever he wants again.

And, when did a caddy every earn an interview after his player won a tournament? Give me an effing break. The media needs to quit stroking Stevie's ego. It's an embarrasment.

Pop Quiz:
Name the caddies for the below Top 5 players in the world:
Luke Donald
Lee Westwood
Martin Kaymer
Rory McIlroy
Steve Stricker

I was watching the replay of the final round last night and at the end, just about when Adam was about to win it, Faldo made a comment that Stevie hasn't taken off the bib yet. Nothing else was said, but I thought it was funny that he mentioned it.

I also like how Stevie was taking the flag off the pin at the same time that comment was being made! Wonder if they'll start cracking down on that tradition too..

The whole thing is that Tiger and Adam are totally different types of people. Adam would ask permission from the tour to do something that is not already being done where Tiger would just do it. I think a lot of this attitude rubbed off on Steve, including the attitude like the comments he made. You did not hear Steve saying stuff like this when he caddied for Raymond Floyd or Greg Norman. The caddie is an extension of the player and I think that in the future you will see a very different Steve outside the ropes.

Back