Dream Courses that you CAN ACTUALLY PLAY!!!

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
The Golf magazine Top 100 courses list came out again, and it may sound stupid but this issue always makes me mad. If you're a normal golfer like me (with a normal bank account), it isn't a real top 100 as many of the courses will never let me play on their "hallowed" grounds. I mean - congrats 1. Pine Valley, 2. Cypress Point and 3. Augusta... BUT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I CAN'T PLAY YOUR COURSE! :angry: That being said, what is on your "bucket list" of courses that you actually may tee it up on? My number 1 would have to be Pebble Beach. I love the fact that if you want to spend the money you can play there and it is a top 10 rated course in the world. I think St. Andrews (old course) does let the public play on certain days also. Thoughts?

I believe they also have a top 100 of public courses as well. I know Golf Digest does each year.

Royal county down, top golf course outside the USA, some people consider it to be the best in the world. Playable 5 days a week!!

Royal county down, top golf course outside the USA, some people consider it to be the best in the world. Playable 5 days a week!!
That's what I'm talking about - to me - that makes it a BETTER COURSE than Pine Valley or Cypress Point. I mean who cares how good your course is if only a select 400 people a year get to play it?

I believe they also have a top 100 of public courses as well. I know Golf Digest does each year.
Thanks JB - got caught between threads - didn't see your post.

I totally agree. While I would love to play some of the Top 100 courses I couldn't because I don't have the resources. I do enjoy the Golf magazines Top public courses for each state and Top 100 public courses (that someone posted above). It gives me a little check list to possibly work on. I really hear good things about Bethpage Black and have been pondering a trip up there to play.

50 Eggs. You just made my day. I will now burn my issue of the "TOP overall elitist unplayable courses except for a token 8 or 9".

Not sure if this is exactly fair, man. I belong to a private club, and it is by no means elitist.

Not sure if this is exactly fair, man. I belong to a private club, and it is by no means elitist.

By elitist he probably means some crazy qualifications and an undoable amount of money for the average person.

Understood. Wasn't trying to bash all private or semi-private clubs. I was kind of ranting about the super elite private clubs. There are private clubs around me that will let you play on certain days or if it is late in the season. I have no problem with those places. Or the private clubs that I may know a member at who could get me on. But I mean, what are the odds that I will ever meet a member of Pine Valley, Cyp. Point or Augusta?

I've practiced at the Sea Island facilities. But never gotten to play there.

Probably about the same as the odds of meting a member at my club. Very small membership, and rather complicated to get into. At the same time, it is pretty cheap. 60 bucks a month.

Understood. Wasn't trying to bash all private or semi-private clubs. I was kind of ranting about the super elite private clubs. There are private clubs around me that will let you play on certain days or if it is late in the season. I have no problem with those places. Or the private clubs that I may know a member at who could get me on. But I mean, what are the odds that I will ever meet a member of Pine Valley, Cyp. Point or Augusta?

I know I should say St Andrew because you can play it anytime and you just have to get lucky in the ballot,but I've always fancied having a crack at Carnoustie to see if it is as hard as they say it is,and you can pay and play,other than that I would have to say Macrahanish dunes looks great and is again available to the public.

Probably about the same as the odds of meting a member at my club. Very small membership, and rather complicated to get into. At the same time, it is pretty cheap. 60 bucks a month.

And that is in no way elitist. Didn't mean to offend you in any way. I mean - I'm a teacher. I have a very average bank account. I choose to be a member at a public course. Are there private courses around me that I could afford to belong to? Yes. Are there courses that are near by that I will never be a member at due to financial restrictions? Yup. However, I may play there luckily once or twice in my life if the cards fall the right way. I was lucky enough to play the International last year. Will probably never happen again. Was that an elitist course? You better believe it.

And that is in no way elitist. Didn't mean to offend you in any way. I mean - I'm a teacher. I have a very average bank account. I choose to be a member at a public course. Are there private courses around me that I could afford to belong to? Yes. Are there courses that are near by that I will never be a member at due to financial restrictions? Yup. However, I may play there luckily once or twice in my life if the cards fall the right way. I was lucky enough to play the International last year. Will probably never happen again. Was that an elitist course? You better believe it.

Not offended at all man, no worries. Just making sure people don't start seeing private as elite.

That's what I'm talking about - to me - that makes it a BETTER COURSE than Pine Valley or Cypress Point. I mean who cares how good your course is if only a select 400 people a year get to play it?

The people that play it do. And of course being high end and private does not make it less of a golf course.

The people that play it do. And of course being high end and private does not make it less of a golf course.

Good points. It's probably my jealousy talking haha.

I'd love to see them come out with a top 100 courses under $100. In fact, THP maybe that's your calling card...

Annual updated list of Top 100 under $100. I'm sure you guys would get loads of traffic from that.

More of a location than just a single course, but I'd love to get over to Oregon and play all the Bandon courses!! I heard a 5th is in the works...

I'd love to see them come out with a top 100 courses under $100. In fact, THP maybe that's your calling card...

Annual updated list of Top 100 under $100. I'm sure you guys would get loads of traffic from that.

Maybe that's something we could all do, post our favorites in our areas for under a $100.

More of a location than just a single course, but I'd love to get over to Oregon and play all the Bandon courses!! I heard a 5th is in the works...

They are AWESOME!!! These are the epitome of great courses that anyone can play!

Maybe that's something we could all do, post our favorites in our areas for under a $100.

Pretty sure I could cover PA with a couple other people.

Back