Steve Williams says he was 'over the top'

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/tiger-woods-ex-caddy-steve-williams-says-his-comments-were-over-the-top-080811

ATLANTA - Steve Williams acknowledged his reaction to Adam Scott’s victory at the Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday was “a bit over the top.” A day later, the caddie had had time to reflect on a media performance calculated to embarrass his ex-boss, Tiger Woods, and that was criticized by many who felt Williams overshadowed Scott’s achievement.

“Looking back on it, I was a bit over the top,” he told FOXSports.com from Atlanta, where he and Scott were preparing for this week’s PGA Championship.

“I had a lot of anger in me about what happened (with Woods) and it all came out.”

After Scott won, Williams called it “the most satisfying win of my career,” which includes 13 major championships among 72 victories worldwide with Woods during their 12 years together. He also disputed Woods’ version of how he was fired. Woods said he’d done in face-to-face while Williams said it was done callously over the phone. But on Monday the New Zealander put an end to the public spat.

“I said what I said but I’m not going to say any more about Tiger,” he said.

Williams felt he was unjustly fired by Woods last month after he agreed to caddie for Scott while Woods was recovering from injuries to his left leg. He was particularly upset when Woods accused him of being disloyal by working with Scott, given that Williams felt he’d stood by the 14-time major champion in the wake of the sex scandal that so engulfed him.

Williams said last week was emotional because he knew Woods would be returning to golf at Firestone Country Club. He was determined to prove Woods wrong for firing him.

“I had a lot of emotions going on all week. You hear people say, ’How good are you now that you're not caddying for Tiger,’ things like that, and it makes you want to prove yourself.

“And when we were coming down the stretch and all those people were calling out my name, I mean I’ve never experienced anything like that, and when Adam won, all of a sudden, all that emotion, it all poured out.

“But, look, it’s time to move on. The Tiger thing is over.”

Is it over?

I couldn't help but reflect on several others in the PGA who made negative comments about Woods in a public venue. Tiger dealt with them pretty quickly. He might have a tough time with this one, but then again it could turn out to speed things up.

Tap,Tap,Tap

We all know he'll win the PGA by 7 and then proceed to answer questions with, "Steve who"?

...And I thought you were a true RF fan...

:alien:

To be honest, it's a lot about the weekend. I respect a lot of the guys on the Tour for different reasons, but depending on how a certain tournament is going, sometimes I like watching the Tiger charge, mostly because it has an effect on the whole field. I'm actually just starting to jump back on the Scott bandwagon this year after jumping off about two years ago. We pick pools of players for Majors at my Uncles bar, basically same as on here. Any five golfers, 5 dollars. Best score wins. Well I was a huge Scott fan, and he never exactly helped me win my money back. :D

He's a caddy. A legendary caddy. How often does a caddy get to speak up on such a large stage? I've never seen it before. Sad that he backed away from his comments as they were heart-felt and probably 100% true. I bet his regrets lie in his comments overshadowing Scott's performance on Sunday.

This is so interesting!!!!!

What is done is done. Any respect I ever had for that guy was gone after this weekend. What he tried to do to tiger is one thing...what he did to Adam was just plain sad. Adam Scott is an amazing golfer who is starting to get his swing in order and none of that mattered because Steve Williams was upset and couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Stevie looked a bit classless. Which, I suppose, doesn't surprise me. I get it, he was charged up and emotional, but the win isn't about Stevie and his ego, it is about Adam Scott. Scott should be lauded for a great week.

He's a caddy. A legendary caddy. How often does a caddy get to speak up on such a large stage? I've never seen it before. Sad that he backed away from his comments as they were heart-felt and probably 100% true. I bet his regrets lie in his comments overshadowing Scott's performance on Sunday.

He's always declined interviews saying that he 'didn't do media'. When I was hearing what he was saying the other day I thought it was pretty childish in truth and lost a lot of respect for him. If Tiger thinks it's time for a change then that's up to him. I think it's the right choice as well.

Wouldn't it be great if Woods and Scott got partnered together for a round. The atmosphere would be like ice

Wouldn't it be great if Woods and Scott got partnered together for a round. The atmosphere would be like ice

Now that would be interesting to say the least.

We all know he'll win the PGA by 7 and then proceed to answer questions with, "Steve who"?

:yawn:

I'm ok with Stevie being honest. They asked the questions and he answered them. I'm sure Adam Scott was not too bothered by it all. He knows what is going on. I say good for Stevie. Now he knows there is life after Tiger.

We've all put our foot in our mouths at one time or another and I'm sure it was a valuable lessoned learned.

I couldn´t care less what Stevie says about Tiger. If Stevie needed to get it out of his system, well now its out. I think there are limits as to how disapointed Stevie could be having been bagman for the most successful golfer in modern time. Its not like he did it for free.

I like Scott a lot and I hope he can build on this victory, Stevie needs to shut up and focus on helping Scott now. Nobody pays to go watch the Caddies carry the bags, so I hope media stop focussing on the Stevie-Tiger breakup - There´s lots of golfers out there who deserve some media attention.

All this caddy talk this year is absurd. They are getting waaaaay too much credit!

What is done is done. Any respect I ever had for that guy was gone after this weekend. What he tried to do to tiger is one thing...what he did to Adam was just plain sad. Adam Scott is an amazing golfer who is starting to get his swing in order and none of that mattered because Steve Williams was upset and couldn't keep his mouth shut.

I agree completely with this. I have zero respect for Tiger and have no problem with SW going nuts on him away from the tour, but Adam Scott did not deserve that.

Stevie has acted like a jaded schoolgirl through this entire thing.

This will never be over. Commentators will keep bringing it up to fill in the time.

Stevie Stevie Stevie, You should have been the bigger man...... Still got love for you

I loved the karma but Tiger DID make him. He wouldn't be wearing Valvoline emblems if not for Tiger. Not that I'm a fan of Tiger.

All this caddy talk this year is absurd. They are getting waaaaay too much credit!

There are a few caddies that really are the 15th club. They not only get there man around the course but help read putts, club and even get them to switch clubs if they feel they have the wrong stick. This is a small group but some are valuable in more ways than one. Yes, most just carry the bag, collect a check and move on to the next venue.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Stevie has acted like a jaded schoolgirl through this entire thing.

Couldn't agree more. While I agree he most likely got screwed (no pun intended) he is definately acting like the ex girlfriend.

big big adam scott fan... sucks that his caddy gets more press than he did... heck his putter gets more press than he does hahaha

Just carry the bag and be quiet. Do or say whatever you want but Adam Scott and Tiger Woods both had to go out on the course and execute. The only thing you had to execute was remembering if he likes Pepsi or Coke. I hate when people make themselves bigger than they are. He was like Kanye West and Adam Scott was poor Taylor Swift..lol

Back