Steve Williams says he was 'over the top'

I couldn´t care less what Stevie says about Tiger. If Stevie needed to get it out of his system, well now its out. I think there are limits as to how disapointed Stevie could be having been bagman for the most successful golfer in modern time. Its not like he did it for free.

I like Scott a lot and I hope he can build on this victory, Stevie needs to shut up and focus on helping Scott now. Nobody pays to go watch the Caddies carry the bags, so I hope media stop focussing on the Stevie-Tiger breakup - There´s lots of golfers out there who deserve some media attention.

I agree. He said what he said, and now he says it is time to move on. If he is still talking about two months from now, then that will not be right, but I doubt it really bothered Adam that much, right now anyway.

Wrong. They dont get nearly enough credit. They make hitting the shots possible. They are the ones who get the players into the zone and out of the funks that players get into. They are bodyguards, weathermen, psychiatrists, mathematicians and anything else a player requires them to be.

All this caddy talk this year is absurd. They are getting waaaaay too much credit!

Wow, that is just not the case.

LOL yeah I know. I am just frustrated that he feels he is more important than Adam Scott. I hate when people take the spotlight off the people that deserve it for actually doing the work.

I was a bit surprised by the comment after the finish but the media was fishing for some big quote and they got it. I think the fans on 18 also got SW emotionally fired up. I think everyone needs to move on.

LOL yeah I know. I am just frustrated that he feels he is more important than Adam Scott. I hate when people take the spotlight off the people that deserve it for actually doing the work.

I dont believe that to be the case.

I dont believe that to be the case.

In the moment, he absolutely did. He was getting cheered on by the crowd, got caught up in the moment and made an unnecessary comment which, whether he meant to or not, took away the spotlight from Adam Scott.

Wrong. They dont get nearly enough credit. They make hitting the shots possible. They are the ones who get the players into the zone and out of the funks that players get into. They are bodyguards, weathermen, psychiatrists, mathematicians and anything else a player requires them to be.

Yeah, out of any job you wanna dream up to add to caddy duties it will only come up once or twice a tourney. Not in a round but in an entire tourney.

The biggest caddy news should've been Keegan Bradley firing his after he drives a 370 yard bomb then flies the green by 20-25 yards with a short iron. Pros don't miss that bad and the only explanation is his caddy screwed up the yardage. He saved par that hole but fell apart after.

They get too much credit.

Anytime someone loses their job there is ALOT of personal feelings involved. It's basically human nature to defend yourself when someone essentially says I have decided to go in another direction. I think Steve has said what he needed to get off his chest and there is no doubt he is one of the best caddies in the game. Will he be good enough to push Adam Scott to major potential? That is something we will have to wait and see. Tiger and Steve are both filthy rich so I don't think either one of them are going to hurt too bad over this decision.

I think Rickie Fowler has a good chance at winning the PGA. He is top of his game and played great last week.

I don't see it that way at all. Steve and Tiger were suppose to be friends as well off the course. I'm sure he feels pretty wounded right now in that he not only lost a job, he lost a friend as well. Most all of us would feel the same way I'm guessing.

Until Adam Scott speaks out and says he did not like it, I'm not sure there is really a issue. Like I said before, if Steve is still going on about it two months from now, I think it will be wrong, but right now I'm sure he still feeling pretty bad about the whole thing, and he just took the chance that was offered to him to vent a little.

This is another reason I'm not super close to the people that work with or under me.

I don't see it that way at all. Steve and Tiger were suppose to be friends as well off the course. I'm sure he feels pretty wounded right now in that he not only lost a job, he lost a friend as well. Most all of us would feel the same way I'm guessing.

Until Adam Scott speaks out and says he did not like it, I'm not sure there is really a issue. Like I said before, if Steve is still going on about it two months from now, I think it will be wrong, but right now I'm sure he still feeling pretty bad about the whole thing, and he just took the chance that was offered to him to vent a little.

This is another reason I'm not super close to the people that work with or under me.

Why not just enjoy the win and move forward. If there ever was an opportunity to do that, it was right then and there. And his ego just wouldn't allow it.

Why the hell would CBS put a mike in Stevie's face in the first place? I'll tell you why, they want to stir up sht. And they did. They NEVER interview a caddie after a tourney, I've never seen it. Had Ryo won, or Rory, or Phil, their caddy wouldn't have been interviewed. I disrespect CBS more than Stevie for this classless move. Probably Nantz's idea.

Why the hell would CBS put a mike in Stevie's face in the first place? I'll tell you why, they want to stir up sht. And they did. They NEVER interview a caddie after a tourney, I've never seen it. Had Ryo won, or Rory, or Phil, their caddy wouldn't have been interviewed. I disrespect CBS more than Stevie for this classless move. Probably Nantz's idea.

Because they knew the type of guy he is and what type of reaction they were going to get.

Right or wrong....he's not just another caddy. He was the caddy for the former #1 player in the world who got dumped and there's a story there If you're a network or reporter and you didn't stick a mike in his face in light of what's happened then you're not doing your job. Sure Stevie sounds like a scorned lover and took all of the attention away from AS but he's still a story right now. If he continues to yap then he's wrong but if this washis 'blow off some steam' moment then so be it. It'll all pass and you'll still watch golf on CBS but don't always hate the player, hate the game.

The one thing I get from this entire thread is that so many people have a strong dislike for S. Williams.
Opinions were very much different two years ago. When he was "thug like" and the defense of him by some was so strong.
He apologized. Why do some accept some apologies and "look for the good" in some and not others?

Apparently, people are more willing to accept things such as apologies, the more they like the person making them.

That is my thoughts anyway.

The one thing I get from this entire thread is that so many people have a strong dislike for S. Williams.
Opinions were very much different two years ago. When he was "thug like" and the defense of him by some was so strong.
He apologized. Why do some accept some apologies and "look for the good" in some and not others?

Apparently, people are more willing to accept things such as apologies, the more they like the person making them.

So this doesnt apply for Tiger Woods though?

I think Stevie was almost justified in his remarks, but his timing was awful.
meaning - i think he had the right to prove his critics wrong about not being able to loop and he had a cake job while doing it for Tiger.
but don't publicly bash Tiger, no matter what happened and in doing so, take away from Scott's win.
it's probably good that he "kind of apologized" ??? but he had something to prove, but only to his hecklers...which was already done, without words.
too many people are going public with statements that end up being less than classy, this being one of them. Tiger and the rest of the world know that you've just won, straight off his bag with another PGA pro...there's no need to rub it in or anything.
and now all you've done is taken away from Scott's current limelight...we've all seen caddies get fired for doing stuff like this.
really...you're a looper. just keep your mouth shut post game.
remember stevie, you're the navigator...not the driver.

I dont know what that means?

How does your statement apply to Tiger Woods? People LOVED him and now that all the bad stuff came out against him, he is a pariah. Why can't people forgive him and give him a second chance?

I think Stevie was almost justified in his remarks, but his timing was awful.
meaning - i think he had the right to prove his critics wrong about not being able to loop and he had a cake job while doing it for Tiger.
but don't publicly bash Tiger, no matter what happened and in doing so, take away from Scott's win.
it's probably good that he "kind of apologized" ??? but he had something to prove, but only to his hecklers...which was already done, without words.
too many people are going public with statements that end up being less than classy, this being one of them. Tiger and the rest of the world know that you've just won, straight off his bag with another PGA pro...there's no need to rub it in or anything.
and now all you've done is taken away from Scott's current limelight...we've all seen caddies get fired for doing stuff like this.
really...you're a looper. just keep your mouth shut post game.
remember stevie, you're the navigator...not the driver.

I agree but I believe it it CBS's fault it happened the way it did. You stick the mike in Stevie's face after an emotionally exciting day like this and he's gonna say what he thinks at the moment. It wasn't rehersed, it was off the top of his head emotions that were talking. Had you set him down at a press conference Monday, it would have been a totally different interview.

How does your statement apply to Tiger Woods? People LOVED him and now that all the bad stuff came out against him, he is a pariah. Why can't people forgive him and give him a second chance?

Many people have. But some have to remember that not everybody loved him before. Some of the dislike for TW is not because of his personal life, its just an easy target. Some of it is because of his on course actions, selfishness, etc...

I stand by my post, because if you go back and read threads about Stevie from 2.5 years ago on THP, you would find some irony there. Its pretty apparent that depending on how much you like or are a fan of the person, is how much someone is willing to accept an apology. Some of the same fans lambasting him now, would be defending him for his actions (and did) when he was on Tiger Woods' bag.

I agree but I believe it it CBS's fault it happened the way it did. You stick the mike in Stevie's face after an emotionally exciting day like this and he's gonna say what he thinks at the moment. It wasn't rehersed, it was off the top of his head emotions that were talking. Had you set him down at a press conference Monday, it would have been a totally different interview.

While that may be true, the job of the reporters at the scene is to get the comments right away, not to wait for the emotions to die down and then ask for comments. The home audience doesnt want to wait, and I would think that most public figures know the interview is coming.

Many people have. But some have to remember that not everybody loved him before. Some of the dislike for TW is not because of his personal life, its just an easy target. Some of it is because of his on course actions, selfishness, etc...

I stand by my post, because if you go back and read threads about Stevie from 2.5 years ago on THP, you would find some irony there. Its pretty apparent that depending on how much you like or are a fan of the person, is how much someone is willing to accept an apology. Some of the same fans lambasting him now, would be defending him for his actions (and did) when he was on Tiger Woods' bag.

Fair enough. Your point was well taken. I was curious about Tiger Woods because there is an awful lot of people here that hate him for what he did. I would have to assume that not all of the people either loved him or hated him beforehand.

I don't like Tiger Woods the person, but I love watching Tiger play golf well.

I think it's a damn shame that Williams discussed anything other than Adam Scott's victory and the path he took to help him get there. Regardless of whether he was goaded or asked specifically, I wish he had just left it at that.

Back