Finding All Club Distances in Your Bag...

jdsuowner

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Guys, just wondering what you all do/use to find all the club distances in your bag. Do you just go to the range, use a laser range finder, or do it on the course while playing? I was wanting to really hone in on each clubs distance accurately...thx

I use my GPS whilst playing usually. I find that I don't hit the ball as far at the range as I do when on the course

Sometimes I will use a range finder at the range. That isn't always accurate though. The range balls fly different than the balls I play. I also use my gps on the course to measure each club. That is the most effective way for me.

Would anyone recommend finding someone with a Trackman to guage distances?

Agreed - do it on the course in real playing conditions. Range balls typically do not react similarly to game balls.

Does anyone ever go on a course when its super slow and just fire some shots off the tee using a rangefinder to grab distances?

Also can you use a laser range finder to spot your ball after you hit it to get a distance or do they just work at finding the flag?

Would anyone recommend finding someone with a Trackman to guage distances?

That's an option. However I agree with others in that I would take them to the course. Rangefinder, GPS, whatever works for you. After my fitting, my expectation was to gain 10-15 yards on my existing clubs. While this was mostly right, there was a bit of an adjustment period where I had to re-align my distances in my head. I don't have a rangefinder, and only use GPS when it's provided but I was able to accurately guage shots and select clubs within a couple of rounds.

I always go by what I do on the golf course during a round, unless you are on a range hitting the same exact ball you hit on the golf course I don't think measuring range distance will give you a very good reading. Even if that were true there will still be a difference in distances between when you are amped up and hitting for a score on the golf course vs hitting relaxed shots on the range with no pressure to speak of and no adrenalin to allow for.

I use my GPS whilst playing usually. I find that I don't hit the ball as far at the range as I do when on the course

This is exactly how I did it. If you have a GPS with 'mark the spot' and with every club you hit throughout the round do it you'll get your distances very quick.

how much further do you guys say hit an iron off the tee vs off the fairway?

Anyone know of any iphone apps that can track club distances? I know there are GPS apps but I dont want one for course yardages since I have a laser rangefinder just one to track club distances?

Anyone know of any iphone apps that can track club distances? I know there are GPS apps but I dont want one for course yardages since I have a laser rangefinder just one to track club distances?

I don't know of one. If you just want a simple list then why not use the note pad? I know some with GPS do track yardage with clubs but not that you input yourself. Wonder if anyone else does, I memorized my ranges with each iron.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

The range is inaccurate for dialing in your distances for a number of reasons; type of balls, wear and tear on the balls (water logged, scuffed, etc.), if your hitting off mats vs grass. Best way is get a estimate on the range, then taking it to the course. I use my rangefinder and it's really helped me figuring out my distances, especially since I just bought new clubs, Burner 2.0's.

Also can you use a laser range finder to spot your ball after you hit it to get a distance or do they just work at finding the flag?
Most range finders will allow you to lock onto any spot on the course, not just the flag. So, yes you could do that.

When I replaced my Wilson Staff Pi5 irons with my Nicklaus NPS-2 irons this Spring I started to dial in the distances using a range and rangefinder. Here we are in August and I'm just starting to learn exactly what they give me from lots of use on the course. For example 7 iron = 173.

Alex

I agree with a lot of what's been mentioned. I like to go to the range on a Monday after all the balls have been collected in the AM. Then I go through the bag with my wedges etc. and hit my new club in the same order as I normally would. I can then pull out my range finder and zero in on my total yardage. I normally hit balls farther on the course than on the range, but this gives me a starting point to go by. I then take my sharpie and write the approximate range of the distances on the sole of the club. During actual play on the course, I use a sharpie ( maybe a different color) to refine the numbers. Please remember that a flush shot distance may not be your average distance but your upper range distance.

Ill get a starting point on the range with the range balls and then get the specifics on the course with a GPS

Hey Guys, just wondering what you all do/use to find all the club distances in your bag. Do you just go to the range, use a laser range finder, or do it on the course while playing? I was wanting to really hone in on each clubs distance accurately...thx
Find and get on a Trackman... It's awesome.

Range rocks cost 10-15 yds a club...

Back