looking for some help with my swing

ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
Im hitting the ball good, but having some trouble getting consistancy for hitting straight shots all the time. I know thats impossible, but some times i can hit it suuuuuuuuper right or left (more often left) since im hitting a natural draw. I have a pretty solid shortgame, and my shots from 8i and shorter are very solid. Were im really struggeling is from tee and second shots at par 5's.

Anyone noticing stuff that i can work on for getting better results?

On the videos im hitting a 5 iron, hitting it around 200-210 yards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUiYTOydms (down the line)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hHdeaSiL-4 (donw the line, slowMo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfT5vm_94U (in front)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XI6u9dcfCU (in front, slowMo)

Last edited:
26 views and no one can se anything? then i must have the perfect swing :D

I would recommend placing this in the "Ask the Pro" section and one of the Golftec guys will make recommendations. Definitely better than a bunch of forum members giving their take on it IMO.

Have you posted this for the GolfTec guys to look at?

Have you posted this for the GolfTec guys to look at?

yepp, but thought i would post here as well, to see what you guys think :)

Bra klipp i tillslaget Ulle!!

You have a pretty short backswing for such an atletic swing, any particular reason for that? Judging from your finishing position its not due to lack of flexibility.

Bra klipp i tillslaget Ulle!!

You have a pretty short backswing for such an atletic swing, any particular reason for that? Judging from your finishing position its not due to lack of flexibility.

haha tack ;P ye i used to have alot longer backswing, but i was all over the place back then, so shorten my backwing helps me to be at least a bit more straight and consistance

I think you take the club back to far to the inside. I'm no golf professional, but I know taking it back to the inside like that can cause an over the top move. Where do you typically miss (left or right)?

I think you take the club back to far to the inside. I'm no golf professional, but I know taking it back to the inside like that can cause an over the top move. Where do you typically miss (left or right)?

okay, yes i know, thats because i find it easier to repeat the same swing when doing that, cause sometimes when im not hitting it like that, just try to get a straight shot, sometimes it goes far right, and sometimes i get my normal draw anyway... but 8/10 misses are to the left

okay, yes i know, thats because i find it easier to repeat the same swing when doing that, cause sometimes when im not hitting it like that, just try to get a straight shot, sometimes it goes far right, and sometimes i get my normal draw anyway... but 8/10 misses are to the left

Yeah, that makes sense. Looks like the club face is a little closed at the top of your swing which typically means closed club face at impact.

Yeah, that makes sense. Looks like the club face is a little closed at the top of your swing which typically means closed club face at impact.

that can very well be true, do you know any good drills for this?

that can very well be true, do you know any good drills for this?

Man, the only thing I can tell you is to imagine taking the club to the top of your swing and trying to take it up to the top of your right shoulder. Again, I'm no certified pro or anything, just trying to help.

Man, the only thing I can tell you is to imagine taking the club to the top of your swing and trying to take it up to the top of your right shoulder. Again, I'm no certified pro or anything, just trying to help.

okay, thank you :) will try that on the range

For those misses left and right. It's possible that you're grip pressure is too tight. When I get a miss like those my swing coach asks me that question first. Also that would lead to pulling the club down with the hands which would also cause that. There is nothing wrong with a short backswing (Dana Quigley on the Champions Tour or Brian Smock on the Nationwide) but you have to complete your shoulder turn.

Are you "shaking hands" with the target line?

Alex

For those misses left and right. It's possible that you're grip pressure is too tight. When I get a miss like those my swing coach asks me that question first. Also that would lead to pulling the club down with the hands which would also cause that. There is nothing wrong with a short backswing (Dana Quigley on the Champions Tour or Brian Smock on the Nationwide) but you have to complete your shoulder turn.

Are you "shaking hands" with the target line?

Alex

okay, what do you mean when saying pulling the club down with the hands? you mean that i should hit more with my shoulders and body instead of the hands? Do you know any good drills of you much to turn the shoulders?

What do you mean "shaking hands" with the taget line?

Just my opinion but your posture is very upright and it looks like you are compensating for that upright posture, which generally causes a slice or a fade, with a really strong move to the inside going back which makes it hard to make a full turn. Somehow you are getting to close to a 90 degree shoulder turn going back, somehow. I would change one thing for sure and since you threw this up for public comment I will make suggestions - it really looks to me like you are way to upright in your stance. I would ask someone to look at your posture and fix that first before I do anything else. Changing that to getting more angle in your posture will do two things, it will allow you to make a full swing all the way to the top, as flexible as you are you can go to past 90 easily, and it will allow you to go more straight back away from the ball keeping your wrists and arms and all in a more square position all the way back and through. Look at any tour pros posture and you will see a very clear angle in their back and you are nearly straight from knees to shoulders. Not sure if this helps and I hate giving advice but that really jumped out at me.

okay, what do you mean when saying pulling the club down with the hands? you mean that i should hit more with my shoulders and body instead of the hands? Do you know any good drills of you much to turn the shoulders?

What do you mean "shaking hands" with the taget line?

When I refer to pulling the club down with your hands I'm referring to simply letting the club fall down and not force it down by pulling with your hands. If you're pulling it down a few things might occur... among them toe hits and slaps that fly lazily to the right. Assuming that you're a right-handed golfer there might be times when the right hand will take over and pull across the ball causing a dead pull or hook. Definitely do not let the hands do all of the work it'll kill you... especially under pressure.

A simple drill for shoulder turn is simply taking a club and placing it across the chest. Just turn until the shoulder is under your chin... nothing more..nothing less. Less is more. Remember that shoulder turn doesn't just mean around the body... there has to be a little down turn as well.

Shaking hands simply means extend your arms (bottom hand) down towards your target.

Alex

Just my opinion but your posture is very upright and it looks like you are compensating for that upright posture, which generally causes a slice or a fade, with a really strong move to the inside going back which makes it hard to make a full turn. Somehow you are getting to close to a 90 degree shoulder turn going back, somehow. I would change one thing for sure and since you threw this up for public comment I will make suggestions - it really looks to me like you are way to upright in your stance. I would ask someone to look at your posture and fix that first before I do anything else. Changing that to getting more angle in your posture will do two things, it will allow you to make a full swing all the way to the top, as flexible as you are you can go to past 90 easily, and it will allow you to go more straight back away from the ball keeping your wrists and arms and all in a more square position all the way back and through. Look at any tour pros posture and you will see a very clear angle in their back and you are nearly straight from knees to shoulders. Not sure if this helps and I hate giving advice but that really jumped out at me.

okay, sounds really good, thanks for the tip, you mean that i should be more bend over the ball with my upper body?

When I refer to pulling the club down with your hands I'm referring to simply letting the club fall down and not force it down by pulling with your hands. If you're pulling it down a few things might occur... among them toe hits and slaps that fly lazily to the right. Assuming that you're a right-handed golfer there might be times when the right hand will take over and pull across the ball causing a dead pull or hook. Definitely do not let the hands do all of the work it'll kill you... especially under pressure.

A simple drill for shoulder turn is simply taking a club and placing it across the chest. Just turn until the shoulder is under your chin... nothing more..nothing less. Less is more. Remember that shoulder turn doesn't just mean around the body... there has to be a little down turn as well.

Shaking hands simply means extend your arms (bottom hand) down towards your target.

Alex

okay thank you, so if i put a club at my shoulder and turn, until the tip points to the ball? or how much is the right amount?

I hope this isn't oversimplified....

At address you look like this:

Y

Ideally you should look more like this:

y

With your hands in a more leading position you should be more consistently able to return the clubhead to a square position at impact. When the hands start even with or behind the club at address, you have to speed them up to get to that square position at impact, and any forcing of the hands to keep up with or to surpass your swing will lead to inconsistency.

okay thank you, so if i put a club at my shoulder and turn, until the tip points to the ball? or how much is the right amount?

No problem. Hopefully this will help you a bit. But to answer your question... yes. Remember a bit of downturn of your shoulder.

Alex

Above is good, sound advice as well.

I would focus on your wrists through impact. If they are cupped, you'll go right.

I like a lot about your swing actually. After taking a few looks I am going to assume the shots to the right are from a lack of wrist hinge and the shots to the left are swing path. You have a pretty over the top swing, meaning you take it way inside and try to recorrect yourself on the downswing. I think a starting point would be to get your swing path on plane on the backswing and the downswing. For an easy drill, take an alignment stick (or a club) and put it behind your club aiming to your target. Just practice taking the club straight back and through on the correct path along the alignment stick. Once you get the feel for it, move the stick along the heel of the club and hit balls with the correct takeaway. From the video it looks like because you take the club so far inside you are having trouble getting a full turn on the backswing as well (also in conjuction with my next point)

I notice right away from the angle of your shoulders that you are far too tense at address with your upper body. Loosen up a bit and relax the arms. You can see almost a flex in your forearms during setup which indicates you are very tight. With a swing path like that and a stiff triangle (shoulders, arms) there is no way you are going to be hitting consistent straight shots. I would suggest that you incorporate wrist hinge into your swing (most likely at the top). Doing this will relax the arms and actually do most of the club lag for you instead of you having to get your body super far in front of the club. Your elbows will have some bend in them and you will generally see much more consistent striking.

I like a lot about your swing and wouldn't change much about it besides those few things. I am no pro, but I usually just point out flaws I have done in the past to other people because I can help fix from experience. You have a great swing and a few fixes here and there and you will be hitting the ball great.

PS- I know most aren't completely sure what wrist hinge is. If you would like me to elaborate let me know and I'll try and explain as best I can.

I like a lot about your swing actually. After taking a few looks I am going to assume the shots to the right are from a lack of wrist hinge and the shots to the left are swing path. You have a pretty over the top swing, meaning you take it way inside and try to recorrect yourself on the downswing. I think a starting point would be to get your swing path on plane on the backswing and the downswing. For an easy drill, take an alignment stick (or a club) and put it behind your club aiming to your target. Just practice taking the club straight back and through on the correct path along the alignment stick. Once you get the feel for it, move the stick along the heel of the club and hit balls with the correct takeaway. From the video it looks like because you take the club so far inside you are having trouble getting a full turn on the backswing as well (also in conjuction with my next point)

I notice right away from the angle of your shoulders that you are far too tense at address with your upper body. Loosen up a bit and relax the arms. You can see almost a flex in your forearms during setup which indicates you are very tight. With a swing path like that and a stiff triangle (shoulders, arms) there is no way you are going to be hitting consistent straight shots. I would suggest that you incorporate wrist hinge into your swing (most likely at the top). Doing this will relax the arms and actually do most of the club lag for you instead of you having to get your body super far in front of the club. Your elbows will have some bend in them and you will generally see much more consistent striking.

I like a lot about your swing and wouldn't change much about it besides those few things. I am no pro, but I usually just point out flaws I have done in the past to other people because I can help fix from experience. You have a great swing and a few fixes here and there and you will be hitting the ball great.

PS- I know most aren't completely sure what wrist hinge is. If you would like me to elaborate let me know and I'll try and explain as best I can.

okay, thanks alot :) so i have to work on my shoulder turn? And also relax and dont swing with my arms as much? And also learn to stay on plane through out the whole swing, I like to have a shorter swing, thats why im not hing my wrists as much as i used to, do you know any youtube videos of drills i can use :) ?

I hope this isn't oversimplified....

At address you look like this:

Y

Ideally you should look more like this:

y

With your hands in a more leading position you should be more consistently able to return the clubhead to a square position at impact. When the hands start even with or behind the club at address, you have to speed them up to get to that square position at impact, and any forcing of the hands to keep up with or to surpass your swing will lead to inconsistency.

okay, with the y you mean a slight tilt backwards? the revers K or what its called? And you mean a small forward press with my hands before starting my backswing?

Back