Still Acting Like Old Tiger

Gee ya think?

I can't speak for anyone else but as for me, I'm 53 yrs. old, have been playing golf for 42 years and I am now and have always been a huge Tiger fan.

Because surly or not, a lot of people liked Hogan despite his coldness while many didn't like Cobb regardless of his records and I think Chamblee was trying to display Tiger in that sense. I saw that piece on GC and I nearly laughed myself silly listening to that has-been whining about Tiger's short answers.

Personally, I find it laughable that a guy like Chamblee is even covering this event since his experience with this tournament consists of either not playing in it at all or missing the cut when he did. His little rant sounded more like sour grapes than anything else.

They can cover it all they want.
But I draw the line at a guy like Chamblee - who has won all of 1 tournament in his entire PGA Tour career - pontificating about how a "Champion" should be acting at a press conference.

They can cover it all they want.
But I draw the line at a guy like Chamblee - who has won all of 1 tournament in his entire PGA Tour career - pontificating about how a "Champion" should be acting at a press conference.

So you are essentially judging someone who has more experience than you about judging someone who has more experience then them.

Do you guys think that there is a correlation between how long you have played golf to how big of a Tiger fan you are? It seems that most new golfers are huge Tiger fans while some of the older golfers don't really care for the guy. I am a new golfer myself and I was a Tiger fan until it turned into a circus, so I am not pointing fingers, I am just curious.

My uncle has been playing golf for 20 years or so. He's never been a Tiger fan. Looking back on it now, he never really liked the way Tiger played. I would assume because of his attitude, but I can't say with 100% certainty. I on the other hand, grew up watching Tiger, and hence was (and still am to a certain extent) a fan. I like to see him play well. There are still flashes of brilliance, like his approach on 15 this year at Augusta on Sunday, but most of the time he can't convert. I agree with you Seth, my loyalty to him has been shaken in recent months.

Wow, that is all I can say.
I guess guys like Tom Jackson shouldnt cover the NFL or talk about character, because he never won a super bowl.
Or heck, none of the analysts should ever be allowed to speak about actions of hte golf course ever because they have no tournament wins.
I have to say, it all comes together here. This is one true view that is undeniably short sided.

This has nothing to do with character.
This has to do with someone who has no idea of what it's like to live in a petri dish and to have every blink or facial expression broadcast across the internet and "analyzed" before those facial muscles stop moving, telling the world how such a person should or shouldn't behave.
Chamblee never had every aspect of his life picked apart and examined and can't possibly know how defensive that can make someone become.

I don't blame Tiger for being short with his answers and if I lived under that kind of scrutiny, I think I too would be very careful about what I said to anyone. My answers would be just as guarded because I'd know that the more detailed the answer, the more there would be to analyze and possibly misinterpret.

Because surly or not, a lot of people liked Hogan despite his coldness while many didn't like Cobb regardless of his records and I think Chamblee was trying to display Tiger in that sense. I saw that piece on GC and I nearly laughed myself silly listening to that has-been whining about Tiger's short answers.

Personally, I find it laughable that a guy like Chamblee is even covering this event since his experience with this tournament consists of either not playing in it at all or missing the cut when he did. His little rant sounded more like sour grapes than anything else.

Pot, meet kettle.

So you are essentially judging someone who has more experience than you about judging someone who has more experience then them.

Ding.

I like your analytical style SethO, as inexperienced as you are.

lol not many do....doesn't mean you can't offer up an opinion based on your own experiences or from what yuo see in the job that puts you close to the action and those involved.

this sounds like a 'poor Tiger' rant.....Tiger knew the game when he signed up to be a pro and he certainly deserves to be scrutinized and picked a part that much more because of the choices he's made and the actions he's performed....his choices/decisions and no one else's

This has nothing to do with character.
This has to do with someone who has no idea of what it's like to live in a petri dish and to have every blink or facial expression broadcast across the internet and "analyzed" before those facial muscles stop moving, telling the world how such a person should or shouldn't behave.
Chamblee never had every aspect of his life picked apart and examined and can't possibly know how defensive that can make someone become.

I don't blame Tiger for being short with his answers and if I lived under that kind of scrutiny, I think I too would be very careful about what I said to anyone. My answers would be just as guarded because I'd know that the more detailed the answer, the more there would be to analyze and possibly misinterpret.

Pot, meet kettle.

Are you serious? :D

What do I have to be sour grapes over?
Do you think I wear a Tiger Woods tee shirt every day?

I'm a fan, but certainly not a fanatic.

um, 'fan' is short for 'fanatic'

Are you serious? :D

What do I have to be sour grapes over?
Do you think I wear a Tiger Woods tee shirt every day?

I'm a fan, but certainly not a fanatic.

LOL!

Yeah, I can see where you might see it that way.

But the reality is that I don't think someone like Chamblee who has never really "walked the walk" that Tiger has walked can really understand where Tiger's head is at when it comes to living life under a microscope.
I mean, I think it's pretty safe to say that Chamblee has never had his life picked apart as Tiger has and as such has never really had to deal with the emotions that go with that. Because of that, I think it's a little arrogant of him to pass judgment on Tiger's defensiveness having never been in that position himself.

LOL!

Yeah, I can see where you might see it that way.

But the reality is that I don't think someone like Chamblee who has never really "walked the walk" that Tiger has walked can really understand where Tiger's head is at when it comes to living life under a microscope.
I mean, I think it's pretty safe to say that Chamblee has never had his life picked apart as Tiger has and as such has never really had to deal with the emotions that go with that. Because of that, I think it's a little arrogant of him to pass judgment on Tiger's defensiveness having never been in that position himself.

You do realize that you just said yesterday that by watching his body language, you can see changes in his life, but are now saying that someone that has been a member of the PGA Tour should keep their judgement to themselves.

I mean wow. So basically, what you are saying is that the only people that should be able to offer an opinion on TW's life and actions right now are Jack Nicklaus, maybe Arnold Palmer. Throw in some Michael Jordan. Well I would say Barkley, but we all know his stance and he has no rings. Maybe Federer, wait, that wont work because news already broke about that. Maybe we could ask Mike Tyson? He would certainly know.

You do realize that you just said yesterday that by watching his body language, you can see changes in his life, but are now saying that someone that has been a member of the PGA Tour should keep their judgement to themselves.

I mean wow. So basically, what you are saying is that the only people that should be able to offer an opinion on TW's life and actions right now are Jack Nicklaus, maybe Arnold Palmer. Throw in some Michael Jordan. Well I would say Barkley, but we all know his stance and he has no rings. Maybe Federer, wait, that wont work because news already broke about that. Maybe we could ask Mike Tyson? He would certainly know.

"Tiger Woods, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious."

LOL

Now you're getting warmer!

I have no problem with Chamblee or any other commentator critiquing someone's play, or technique or course management and all of the other "nuts and bolts stuff. But when someone ventures into opinions on HOW a person should or shouldn't be acting towards the media, then I think that a person such as Jack, or Arnold, or Jordan - people who lived their careers in the public eye - would know more about why someone may seem to be distant or evasive when being questioned than would someone who has never lived their life and career in the public spotlight.

I think someone who has actually lived that kind of life would know more about it from an emotional standpoint than someone who hasn't and I'd bet that Jack, Arnold and Jordan would be more sensitive to Tiger's reticence because they've all "been there".

Tiger doesn't read or watch anything anyway, too many bad opinions. So really, they can all say what they like?

I have no problem with Chamblee or any other commentator critiquing someone's play, or technique or course management and all of the other "nuts and bolts stuff. But when someone ventures into opinions on HOW a person should or shouldn't be acting towards the media, then I think that a person such as Jack, or Arnold, or Jordan - people who lived their careers in the public eye - would know more about why someone may seem to be distant or evasive when being questioned than would someone who has never lived their life and career in the public spotlight.

I think someone who has actually lived that kind of life would know more about it from an emotional standpoint than someone who hasn't and I'd bet that Jack, Arnold and Jordan would be more sensitive to Tiger's reticence because they've all "been there".

Thankfully I would rather be colder than share that viewpoint.
Looking at the way someone treats others whether that be the media, the fans or anybody else does not have to be held to only those that were in the spotlight.
But I guess we should hold Tom Watson's views of Tiger the most sincere then, since he has been there and we all know what he said.
As someone that spent most of their career around NFL athletes I can tell you that while I never played the game at the highest level like they did, I can surely point out many flaws that they have in the public and media's eye and how they handle them poorly. And while they have never done my job, they could surely notice things differently as well.

Your analogy is like saying that all players make better scouts and coaches than those that never played and nothing could be farther from the truth.

That says it all. It's just his "opinion". Everyone is entitled to one, he just has a national stage to voice his on.

I'm consistently amazed at the lengths people will go to defend a guy that is a selfish, family destroying, surly, poor sport.

I'm just amazed at the lengths of some people in general...like Belbin...he's long

I'm consistently amazed at the lengths people will go to defend a guy that is a selfish, family destroying, surly, poor sport.

That's my Hawk! lol

I agree though, and its the adamant defense that has pushed me ever further away from Tiger, in some cases more so than the way he actually acts himself.

Just curious what changes were folks expecting to see in the new and improved Tiger? And, we're not talking about swing changes and his work w/ Sean.

That says it all. It's just his "opinion". Everyone is entitled to one, he just has a national stage to voice his on.

I'll agree with that 100%

He's entitled to his opinion and so am I.

Back