My setup - Feedback?

jwalker497

Reaction score
Handicap
One of the things this I have been doing this year is trying to really know my yardages. I am at the point where I really don't care how far I hit a club, I just want to KNOW what that number is. Course Mgt + lessons are really taking strokes off my game. This is my current setup and would like some feedback about my gaps, distances, etc My current driver SS is avg 90mph. Do these numbers seem right to you?

Also one of the things I don't get is the 4H/7w slot. I know my distance for 5iron is 160-165y. I know my distance for my 7w is around 170-175y. What I don't know is where the 4H fits in there. The 7w is one degree stronger and 1.75in longer - Should'nt that make it significantly longer than the 4H @ 22*?? If I know my 5iron is 160-165y, so the 22H has to be at least 9-12yds longer than the 5iron putting it also @ 170yds. I don't get why that it is. Also Which do you think fits better in my setup the 7w or the 4H?

GW - I have both Iron GW as well as Vokey 50* wedge. Just wondering which one you would use and why? The Iron is more forgiving on full shots whereas the Vokey is much better on chips, pitches, etc. I knwo most people say use the Iron Wedge if you hit more full shots and the vokey for more pitches, etc. But I use the GW in both applications so not sure how to make that decision

LW - My LW is 60.10, I also have a 60.4 but not sure which one to go with. The courses I play vary in conditions so I don't think that's a determining factor. Anyone offer any advice. Is the 60.4 too low bounce? I looked at Golf Galaxy and outside of Vokeys, really no other brands offer anything lower than 60.7. Any ideas?

Woods - 3+W & 4W - I use a TEE strong 3W as a backup driver when I really need to hit the fairway. I then use a Tour Edge exotics 4w which I hit great from the fairway, just wondering if you think I should move to a 3W 15* & 5w 18* setup to space out my gaps as compared to my current 4w 16.5* and 7W/4H setup? My thought was that at 175+ my accuracy is greatly reduced and I prefer having the 4W/7W setup since the chances of hitting a green are diminished at that distance and this saves me a spot for a long 3W.

Any advice and though would be appreciated!

1. Putter
2. LW = 60* = 50y
3. SW = 55* = 70y
4. GW = 50* = 90y
5. PW = 45* = 110y
6. 9i = 41* = 120y
7. 8i = 37* = 130y
8. 7i = 33* = 140y
9. 6i = 29* = 150y
10. 5i = 25*= 160y
11. 4H = 22* = 170y (or 7w = 21*)
12. 4W = 16.5* = 180y
13. 3W = 13* (backup driver) = 200y
14. Driver = 10.5* = 230y

Those distances look fine to me. Tight in the middle and they get wider at both ends. That seems just about perfect to me. I would keep things the way they are because they seem damn good to me.

Your gaps look really good to me. Concerning the wedges, that just comes down to which one feels better and is more consistent for you.

Your yardages look very good! One point I would make is that the bounce angle on your wedge depends on the conditions, the 60.04 is good for firm hard ground as it digs into the ground nicely. It's what I use for around the greens and even in the bunker but perhaps I shouldn't for the last application as it doesn't bounce on the sand like it should. Hope that helps somewhat! :)

I think the 4H fits into your setup best if your yardages are accurate. I have a 4H (23) and a 7W (22) and see about a 10-15 yard gain with my 7W. If I had to take one out, it would probably be the 7W because of the versatility of the hybrid. I love that 7 wood though. I have a 17* 3 wood that I use off the tee sometimes but I've never considered the lower lofted 3 wood as a back-up driver.

Your distances are almost identical to mine. Now I just hope your a younger male. I'm 21 and sometimes I think I don't have good distances at all. But this may be due to my friend that I played with some that could absolutely kill a ball. He would use a wedge in areas where I would be hitting an 8 iron.

Back