Handicap
My problems I have are:
-huge slices on my drives
-putting is either way too hard or way too soft
-chips aren't consistent

goods:
-Iron game
-occasional short game

I feel like I dont take my time on every swing and after I have a bad one I rush the next one and either get lucky with a good or keep my bad swing going.

Any tips especially on slicing and putting would be appreciated.

If you search the Ask the Pro section, there are a couple of really good tips.

My problems I have are:
-huge slices on my drives
-putting is either way too hard or way too soft
-chips aren't consistent

goods:
-Iron game
-occasional short game

I feel like I dont take my time on every swing and after I have a bad one I rush the next one and either get lucky with a good or keep my bad swing going.

Any tips especially on slicing and putting would be appreciated.

Two out of three things you mentioned are short game related. I can't stress how important practicing short game is. Don't always rely on chips using a 52* or 56* etc. If there's nothing in the way think 8 iron. In those cases where there is nothing in the way it's always best to get it rolling sooner than later. On putts pace is huge... I recommend intervals of 3...6 and 9 feet to start to get a feel for distance control. If you miss aim to miss by about 18" past the hole.

Alex

Two out of three things you mentioned are short game related. I can't stress how important practicing short game is. Don't always rely on chips using a 52* or 56* etc. If there's nothing in the way think 8 iron. In those cases where there is nothing in the way it's always best to get it rolling sooner than later. On putts pace is huge... I recommend intervals of 3...6 and 9 feet to start to get a feel for distance control. If you miss aim to miss by about 18" past the hole.

Alex

Short game definitely requires as much practice as you can throw at it. I struggle with it as well, so I work on it whenever I get a chance.

As for hurrying after bad shots, the best thing I can think of is to develop a pre-shot routine... and take a breath in between shots. :D

After I make a bad shot, I always step back and take a breath. Then go through my routine, which gets me focused on the next shot.

Hope that helps.

tap tap tap...

+2 on the short game. My scores dropped significantly since i started putting a lot of work on my short game...still can't putt too well though. As for the slice, a video of your swing would help.

Get the ball in the hole in less strokes.

Real answer: Short game, short game, short game.

Putting- Most courses have a practice green that you can warm up on before a round. Take two tees and set them up like a gate: |_____| now take a few balls and try to putt them as close to that line between the tees as you can. Do this a few times and you should be able to gauge the speed at which you need to hit the ball to get it a certain distance. Another drill I like to do is I take 3 balls and pick a target. My first putt I try to put on the target, my second ball I try to put about a foot past the ball I just hit, my third ball I try to put right in the middle of the first two balls: 1_____3_____2 . These drills should help get used to the speed of the greens.

Chipping- I like to use a 52* wedge and play more of a bump and run style of chip (lower shot and it rolls out) because that lets me aim for the flagstick and treat it as if I was lining up a putt. Just like with putting hopefully your course should have a little chipping area. Choke up on the club (all the way at the bottom of the grip) this gives you more control and stability. The number one mistake most people make with chipping is not making a fluid stroke and not swinging through the ball treat it like a putter stroke try not to break your wrists.

Hope that helps

here is a video of my drive this one was decent but sliced at the end

looking for some advice on the video of my swing to help me fix my slice

here is a video of my drive this one was decent but sliced at the end

Well from what I can see. Your reaching for the ball at pre-swing. Your hands should be straight down before you start the swing.
Another thing would be that you're slightly coming over the top which causes the fade/slice you mention. In the video you don't do it as bad though. You could try pushing the ball to the right. As in don't fear hitting it to the right- reach/push the ball right.

I don't think he's reaching at all. Looks like a reverse pivot to me. A face on view would be helpful if possible. Needs to put 60% of weight on right foot and make sure his right hip is slightly lower than the left at setup, turn away and through the ball finishing on the left foot. Easy game.

"I don't think he's reaching at all. Looks like a reverse pivot to me. A face on view would be helpful if possible. Needs to put 60% of weight on right foot and make sure his right hip is slightly lower than the left at setup, turn away and through the ball finishing on the left foot. Easy game."

+1

Weight is not getting to the front foot. The shoulders look a tad open (which encourages a fade). I would put your hands about an inch forward of the ball position, and close your shoulders a little. If you still fade, just close the face a little.

One drill you might try is to take your normal backswing, but at the top, move your left foot back, touching the right foot. Then, move the left foot back to its original position on the downswing. This will insure you get the weight to the left side.

Last edited:
I would spend some time on a range and swing with your feet together using only your arms. I would get used to releasing the club. Rolling your wrists over like you were turning a key. I would try to hook every shot. Also, put a range bucket just outside of your driver head at set up. Take swings without hitting the bucket. Also, get a lesson from a PGA instructor. They are better than most people on this forum at making you a better golfer.

The best tip I can offer to improve your game is to find a PGA teaching professional and work with him/her.

I have the same problem when I use the driver, that my shoulders are open. Can anyone describe to me what my shoulders should be like when they are closed or squared?

What do you mean "your shoulders are open"? The first thing you should do is find a PGA professional in your area and get a lesson. The least you can do is post a video in the "Ask a Pro" section on the forum.

Okay, I'll do my best. A square shoulder setup occurs when the shoulders are aimed down the target line (think of railroad tracks; one track is the ball to the target line and the other track is the shoulders aimed parallel to the ball target line). A closed shoulder setup is where your right shoulder (for a right-handed golfer) is pulled back away from the target line. The latter can encourage a draw or push (and closing the clubface can fix these).

on the short game, one thing that works for me is, when you are like 10 feet outside green, swing back and forth and look at the place you want to land the ball, do it as much as you have to to get the feel, by looking at the place you want to land the ball, the brain will connect with your eyes and make it easier to find the right swing. And when you are done, dont think at all, just go to the ball and look down at all time and just do the exact swing. really works for me :)

Back