Shafts for Ping Tour-S Wedges

morekimchi

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Ping Tour-S wedges. I think I'll likely go 50, 54, and 60 on these. Not sure about the shafts though. Likely going KBS Tour (which I have in my irons, stiff, softstepped 1x) or DG Spinners, both of which are offered by Ping.

I read the thread about matching wedge and iron shafts, but I'm not sure what would work best for me. Would love any input on how either of these shafts play in these wedges (looking for how they are in the Tour-S specifically so we don't duplicate what's in the threads for the specific shafts) or how you picked what shaft to use in your wedge.

Thanks!

I use to match my wedges to my irons shaft wise, but I've been playing the DG Spinners in my two Jaws wedges and love them. Sorry, but I have not hit them in the Tour-S wedges.

I tested the Tour-S wedges and thought the KBS shaft was perfect for that wedge...I love the DG Spinner shaft too but I don't think it would work as well as the KBS does. the KBS just seems to fit well with the weight of the PING club head

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm loving the KBS tours, so I'll probably stick with what is working, especially based on the info from Hanks. The fun of trying something new, combined with visions of spinning back the ball excessively, are very tempting but probably not the smartest factors to make a decision. Hoosier, you're definitely not alone in liking the Spinners so maybe i'll try them down the road when the itch to try them gets even stronger.

On a related note, I play the KBS tours i'm stiff, softstepped once. Do wedge shafts get softstepped too ? Do I just order stiff? I don't think Ping carries the specific wedge flex shaft from KBS.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Ping Tour-S wedges. I think I'll likely go 50, 54, and 60 on these. Not sure about the shafts though. Likely going KBS Tour (which I have in my irons, stiff, softstepped 1x) or DG Spinners, both of which are offered by Ping.

I read the thread about matching wedge and iron shafts, but I'm not sure what would work best for me. Would love any input on how either of these shafts play in these wedges (looking for how they are in the Tour-S specifically so we don't duplicate what's in the threads for the specific shafts) or how you picked what shaft to use in your wedge.

Thanks!

That is the same degree set up I have and I LOVE THEM. I went with the same shafts as my irons and love the results there too. I say keep everything the same throughout.

I have been playing Mizuno MPR's for years, now MPR-12's with my Fave DGS300 shaft pulled and played head to head in my GW-52*, Also a DG Spinner in my 56*. I have built a lot of wedges and been finiky about shafts, spining and Flo

I just picked up a 3 wedge set 50/12, 54/12, 58/10 in the Ping Tour S. First I reshaft the 50/12 with a Nippon Modus 3 130 Stiff on N1 to target, bend it a few Deg stronger and dull the leading edge for full shots that I am flying 120 max / 113y into the wind. This is the best GW I have EVER owned, the pocket cavity is super forgiving and slight miss hits stay online, over 5-10ft off with the MPR's.
Were this wedge realy shines is the smoothe feel of the Nippon shaft that send it up high to land within 1 foot of its divot ( normally a few inches...if not in its own divot!)

The control is so awesome its my go to birdie machine club. The Nippon is beyond twice as good as DG S300 with its ordinary steel material. Nippon steel is a multi/custom metal that is smoother, more responsive, and the ball rockets off the face to a high 'penetrating' flat line then drops n stops. There is no floaty high arc of no mans land in the sky, were other shafts leave the ball to get blown around in hang time. The shaft is 'very' diffinative...it gets up...bores, reaches the apex, then down to the target.

I like Nippon Steel so much its the same steel in Swift Springs that race car drivers/Drifters use. Regular steel is too firm and wont 'react' to micro road conditions...anyways I have Swifts in my Porsche that should feel like a very firm ride, but they dont, they soak up the bumps/pot holes like a bently, reduce tire wear 'a lot' and the ride is beyond awesome. Nippon Corporation make a better golf shaft simply due to the fact the metal is far superior to any standard steel, that is harder, less flexible to impacts...etc etc. My S55's are all Modus 3 130's and they are awesome too. The bend profile of a stiffer butt and mid section give awesome control for loaders, were DG if you load harder or less there is a big shot dispersion outcome. Nippon have 'FAR' better distance control...Its a NO Brainer...BUY 'EM!!!

Dont even think twice Nippon Modus 3 130 all the way!!!!

http://nipponshaft.com/?page_id=108

Last edited:
KBS will keep the ball a bit lower, easier to control trajectory. Spinner hits it a bit higher. I prefer the S400, it's kind of between the two for trajectory (for me)

KBS will keep the ball a bit lower, easier to control trajectory. Spinner hits it a bit higher. I prefer the S400, it's kind of between the two for trajectory (for me)

'Me' being a hitter/loader the Modus 3 130's stabilize the load / transition. Are you a swinger?

S400Ti's are very good for low flights into greens, with fresh iron groves, plus putting some 'zip' on the ball through impact, I could get them to hold the in most cases, but not out of the rough at all, or firm greens. Modus out of the rough is coming in from a higher traj and more chance to hold a green. I dont have to calculate the roll just the fly with most shots

S400's in wedges were always a different weight to my irons and build slightly shorter or they are D5-6 SW which is a tad too heavy for 'me'.... I did have a whole set of S400 Ti's 3-LW, however the longer irons were just too much weight.

Some players are opting for X100 8i shafts in wedges, which plays similar to S400's but less weight

Have you tried Modus 3 130's?, all I am getting is the 'same' high boring trajectory, 'excellent distance control' and drop n stop, and been seeing more stone dead shots...because you remember those!

Some players are opting for X100 8i shafts in wedges, which plays similar to S400's but less weight!

Sounds interesting, I think I'll give the Modus a whirl in the wedges as well as the 8i X100.

Sounds interesting, I think I'll give the Modus a whirl in the wedges as well as the 8i X100.

For single shafts e-bay seller todd1186 is very good to deal with, please reply with your findings for the readers

Back