Has a small break ever improved your game?

Hankster

Grooming the Green
Reaction score
Handicap
Pull a muscle in my back several weeks ago. About two weeks after I started swinging the clubs at the range and then started playing on the course. In the last two weeks I've hit the range 3-4 times a week and on the course 2-3 times a week (9 holes). Basically, I've been swinging the clubs in one form or another everyday for almost the last two weeks. Recently, I've noticed my swing was getting worse...with a slice here and a hook there.

I've decided to take at least three days off before swinging another club. Anyone else have a short break do their game good?

Last edited:
I think it can help. Golf is q muscle memory game and if you take time off it's easier to retrain your muscle but that said you can do the same by practicing more with a better swing. IMO I think it's good to take time off once in a while. I personally am doing it right now because I have some serious yips going with my putter after many many hours of practice.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I think it can help and I have noticed it does, although I take more than 3 days. A couple weeks usually does the trick.

I think it can help and I have noticed it does, although I take more than 3 days. A couple weeks usually does the trick.

I'm taking at least a week and maybe two. Does it kill me to be away from the game.... Yes but it's something I need to do to for my own good.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Good point. I have thought about taking a full week off, or more. But, I'm scheduled to play in a local bank tournament in about four weeks. So, my brain is wrapped around trying to get my new swing down with my new clubs (upgraded two months ago).

yes, I think a smal break is a necessity, especially of you've had an injury or are going through a rough stretch in your game. it's like hitting the mental/physical re-boot button

Taking time off is not only good for letting physical problems get better, but also for the mental side.

Small breaks often help but long breaks are like starting over.

This is the first year I've played since November of 2008 (yes, I'm playing the forward tees for now :D) and it's been difficult getting my timing back, particularly with my irons.
But right now, I'm in the middle of a short break (to rest an injured left knee) and I'm playing again Sunday which will be the first time in two weeks.
Hopefully, this little break will help and when I hit the range tomorrow, I'll be in a "better place" mentally so that perhaps I can work out the last of my timing issues.

We'll see...

I think it has. I have gotten into some bad habits before, and taking a break forced me to really focus on my swing when I came back.

Honestly sometimes I find I play my best golf after a break. I think that the main reason for that is because I am not thinking about doing this or that, rather just relaxing and hitting the ball. When I play too much I find my game goes downhill since bad things tend to sneak into my game and stick.

Breaks are good occasionally, it is like a "mental health" break from work, just good for what ails you.

I think a short break works. At least it helped me...

Mine wasn't quite a break, more like "screw this, why can't I f***ing improve dammit!" and "I suck...sigh"

So I completely stopped for a few weeks/month from practicing (all indoor ranges with mats which suck by the way) and when golf season began, started hitting my 3 wood off the tee and deck solid! (I couldn't hit this club consistently before....)

So now I limit my range sessions to maybe once a week and play every weekend. So far, I am having my best season *disclaimer, only my 3rd year*

Small breaks often help but long breaks are like starting over.

This is the first year I've played since November of 2008 (yes, I'm playing the forward tees for now :D) and it's been difficult getting my timing back, particularly with my irons.
But right now, I'm in the middle of a short break (to rest an injured left knee) and I'm playing again Sunday which will be the first time in two weeks.
Hopefully, this little break will help and when I hit the range tomorrow, I'll be in a "better place" mentally so that perhaps I can work out the last of my timing issues.

We'll see...

For me a long break was the best thing that had happened in several years. I had developed a nasty hitch in my swing which by the time last year began was jsut about unplayable so after August I shut it down and didn't pick up a club until March and voilla the hitch was gone and I am still getting better.

I think short breaks can be good particularly your woes are due to tempo or some mental aspect but if the issue is actually a physical swing flaw then I don't think a short hiatus does much.

I rarely take any breaks and play every day. I might miss a day or two here and there, but never more than two back to back.

Taking a week or two off and not touching a club will sometimes help you to get back to basics, the idea that you can 'forget your bad habits'. Full swing feel and timing comes back pretty fast, like swimming or riding a bicycle your body remembers what to do if you learn correct swing mechanics and if your technique is fairly sound when you stop, even if it is several months off. Short game is different, if you go more than a few weeks you will lose a lot of feel and touch around the green, or at least I do.

For me a long break was the best thing that had happened in several years. I had developed a nasty hitch in my swing which by the time last year began was jsut about unplayable so after August I shut it down and didn't pick up a club until March and voilla the hitch was gone and I am still getting better...

Man do I hear that!
That's actually the one thing that I've enjoyed most about having taken so much time off.

During my down time (like any golfer) I must have made a few thousand slow motion "practice swings", whether while standing around talking to someone or waiting on line in Home Depot and I actually developed a very nice swing path and my grip is a bit stronger than it used to be. Consequently, I came back with a much more inside-out swingpath and the stronger grip has all but eliminated my slice!

The only drawback is that the timing I had for my "old" swing was apparently different from my new one and it's taking some time to sort that out.
My driver came around first and I'm quite happy with the results for that but my irons are taking a bit longer.
But once I sort out that problem, I think my game is going to change dramatically and so I think the long break has been the best thing that ever happened to me!

It may or may not help your swing but sometimes it can improve your mental outlook to the game. You come back fresh and eager to play. This is a good thing and may help you play the game with more enthusiasm and you also will not be expecting much since you have not been playing at all.

small breaks are not an option!

I agree, I find small breaks (a week or so) are a good idea when your swing get's off. When I'm not playing well and I'm not striking the ball well I will take a little time off, then go back to the range and focus on the basics of posture, grip and tempo. For me it probably helps me as much mentally as it does with my swing and helps me get my confidence back.

I agree, I find small breaks (a week or so) are a good idea when your swing get's off. When I'm not playing well and I'm not striking the ball well I will take a little time off, then go back to the range and focus on the basics of posture, grip and tempo. For me it probably helps me as much mentally as it does with my swing and helps me get my confidence back.

I'm starting to realize when on a break from golf it's not a good idea to watch the Golf Channel.

I'm starting to realize when on a break from golf it's not a good idea to watch the Golf Channel.

:rofl:

I totally get that!

Once a long time ago I spent a winter raiding Blockbuster for every video they had on golf instruction from a bunch of different pro's.
By the time the season rolled around again, my swing was so screwed up it took me the rest of the year to get it back.

If you have the right mindset for your break, then yes, I think it can do some good. I just took 3 days off, and when I came back, I had some of my best ball striking over the past several weeks. I just cleared my head of all frustrations, took a few days off, didn't even think about golf. When I went back out, I just decided to 'swing natural' with not swing thoughts or anything else. Sure enough, my body knew how to swing. So yes, it can be beneficial. I've also taken breaks, came back, and ended up more frustrated than I originally was. This usually happens when I come back with wrong mindset, too many expectations, etc.

Just goes to show, its all about clearing your mind and frustrations away.

Honestly sometimes I find I play my best golf after a break. I think that the main reason for that is because I am not thinking about doing this or that, rather just relaxing and hitting the ball. When I play too much I find my game goes downhill since bad things tend to sneak into my game and stick.

I agree with this. I have to take breaks occasionaly.

if i notice i'm hitting the ball inconsistently and/or not enjoying the game as much, i take a week or two off. I'm actually taking a break as we speak...it's been 5 days since my last round. I plan on playing again sometime next week.

for me, no a break hasn't helped. If I take as much as one day off, I play much worse, it's quite frustrating actually. I think it's just lack of experience/muscle memory at this point as I have a friend who's been golfing since he was 3, he can take a month off come back with no warm up and still play solid golf. If I, on the other hand, pulled a stunt like that I would most likely have to grind it out to break 50.

Back