Trying to Break Par Thread

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I know there's a break 90, 85, 80, and I think there might even be a break 70 thread, but I don't want to do any of that.

I have been sitting at or around par countless times in the last couple weeks and I can't break par. There's always one hole that ruins my hole, and I cannot seem to avoid it..

Anyone else hunting for par? My last three rounds have been +1, +1, and +2 heading into 17 and I just flat out cannot close out my round strong.. Admittedly the last couple holes at my course are dirty hard, but I wish I could make it happen. It's been a long time since I played a round under par.

Good luck to you. The best I've ever done is shoot par on one side or the other and that is hard enough for me!

Good luck to you. The best I've ever done is shoot par on one side or the other and that is hard enough for me!

I was doing that in a big way midway through the year, but it was ugly.. I'd play one side at 41/42 and then shoot 35/36 on the other 9 lol... It's so ridiculously hard to finish a round while sticking around par.

Mulligans.

Mulligans.

LOL. Easiest way IMO.

But, in reality, the best I have ever done is -1 on 9 holes. Lowest round I have ever carded on a full 28 is 78.

I have broken par on a Par 3 Executive Course...does that count?

I know there's a break 90, 85, 80, and I think there might even be a break 70 thread, but I don't want to do any of that.

I have been sitting at or around par countless times in the last couple weeks and I can't break par. There's always one hole that ruins my hole, and I cannot seem to avoid it..

Anyone else hunting for par? My last three rounds have been +1, +1, and +2 heading into 17 and I just flat out cannot close out my round strong.. Admittedly the last couple holes at my course are dirty hard, but I wish I could make it happen. It's been a long time since I played a round under par.

uhh, last tough holes dirty hard....thats an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Toughest 3 finishing holes in SE Ohio by FAR

uhh, last tough holes dirty hard....thats an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Toughest 3 finishing holes in SE Ohio by FAR

haha I birdied 16 tonight (30 footer) and thought I was on easy street. Nuked a 3 wood over the traps on 17 and then fatted an 8 iron that didn't draw into the green.. Hit the edge and dropped into the water. It was pretty much over from there.

My course's last 3 holes are a 250 yard par 3 (220 atm because of maintenance), a nice par 5 uphill with hidden bunkers, and then a fun par 4 with lots of water on the left and hidden sand on the right.

And to think I expected to come out of those -2 today...Lucky to finish even.

Almost a year and I've come full circle.. Sitting at a 5.0 index but trending south, and my last two rounds were 75 and 74...

I made a big step yesterday by avoiding a single double bogey, but I was a bit loose on some approach shots and it really cost me.

Anyone else fighting to shoot par right now? I really REALLY want to get there soon. I feel like my game is there, just need to execute.

I've been hovering right around good old par for like 2 or 3 years now...still can't break it! It's a mental thing for me. I have gone out a shot a couple under on the front and thought to myself "this is easy, I can do this" and then BAM! Blow up on the back. And even on the flip side, I've shot a terrible front 9 and ended up playing lights out on the back. One time I shot, 39-33, and that was a 33 with 6 birdies, I just can't seam to break par! My goal is to finally do it at the State Am this summer.

Just an idea...have someone else keep score for you and try not to think about your score while playing.

don't know if it would be helpful, and this coming from someone trying to break 90.

another thought, do they let you start on the back 9 (get those finishing holes out of the way earlier)

Just an idea...have someone else keep score for you and try not to think about your score while playing.

don't know if it would be helpful, and this coming from someone trying to break 90.

another thought, do they let you start on the back 9 (get those finishing holes out of the way earlier)

I like the creativity.. Actually when my course first opened, the front was the back, but they determined that the last three holes are a tremendous way to close out a round, so they modified accordingly.. If I'm going to break par, it has to be legit, how they want me to play the course.

And I'd be impressed if anyone could play a round near par and not know what their score is.. Usually knowing where I am doesn't bother me much, it's more about getting through some of the more difficult holes and closing out a round well.

I like the creativity.. Actually when my course first opened, the front was the back, but they determined that the last three holes are a tremendous way to close out a round, so they modified accordingly.. If I'm going to break par, it has to be legit, how they want me to play the course.

And I'd be impressed if anyone could play a round near par and not know what their score is.. Usually knowing where I am doesn't bother me much, it's more about getting through some of the more difficult holes and closing out a round well.

Have Mike come caddy for you..haha

I have had some rounds lately where I managed a 1 or a 2 under on either the front or back 9 but either start out the round bad with a 4 or 5 over on the front or I finish 3 or 4 over on back. Haven't been able to put together 2 good 9 hole stretches yet. I guess it will come eventually.

play a different course?

hahaha! I wouldn't trust that fella to give me yardages and carry my clubs around!! He's trouble for sure!!!

He can write cant he? You will for sure have to add the score yourself though...haha

I just shot a +1, though that was on 9. For a while I thought I would have my first ever round under par. I hope you get there dude.

That works for you and me, and others who shoot above 85 on a regular basis. But if you only get a few holes over par a round, I would think it would be easy to know where you are at. Not knowing where I was exactly was good when I shot 83 (I didn't know until I added it up at the end). But hovering around the par mark, I think it's easier to keep track because you don't have as many strokes (over or under) to keep track of.

Dude, I so feel you. Last week was one of those moments for me, and I am actually of the opinion it's coming really soon. I went out last Thursday and played tips to an 80 (which wasnt that bad, wild north breeze in May) and just didn't hit my long irons quite buttery enough. So, I came back to the whites on Tuesday warmed up, and through 14 was sitting +1 and really confident. Then with bogies on 15, 16, and a tremendous par save on 17, knew it wasn't going to happen, but got my easy two putt par on 18 for 75 and felt like I was on the verge. Thursday, I was sitting plus 1 this time through 16 but found my first three putt in a two weeks on 17 and water on 18 for 76. Might be time to save the energy drink for the back side. I walk alot so hole 18 is usually an endurance contest (slope was 121, not bad, but not easy at 6800+ with long transitions to next tees). I don't usually think about score, but I know where I stand alot because while I don't dwell on bad shots, I can't forget....anything. Sometimes good memory doesn't pay off.

That works for you and me, and others who shoot above 85 on a regular basis. But if you only get a few holes over par a round, I would think it would be easy to know where you are at. Not knowing where I was exactly was good when I shot 83 (I didn't know until I added it up at the end). But hovering around the par mark, I think it's easier to keep track because you don't have as many strokes (over or under) to keep track of.

It's true.. I usually don't keep a total tally, just number above par in my head.. When it hovers like that, it's really hard to ignore.

I'm glad you brought this thread back to life. Breaking par is one of my main goals this season. I know it is a tall task for a 6.9 HC but I am going to work my butt off this summer and I think it is possible. It will be fun following along with others and I will update my progress as well.

I'm right there with everyone. Although I think with my new irons it should happen this month.

My best 18 ever is a 73 and I started with two triples! I played the final 16 holes at 5 under. If only the first two holes were even bogies, I am golden.

I am coming off ACL surgery a year ago so it is a slow come back for me. I shot a +4 the other day and it was best my 18 this year for me. My biggest problem, my irons cost me 6-8 strokes as well. They don't fit my swing at all and if I don't adjust, I get a huge draw because the heel catches from being too upright. My new irons are set at 1* degree flat to help with my draw. Yes, draws can be a huge issue with the wrong clubs!

Good luck to all in this thread! I wish everyone the best.

You've been tapped!

i've had two or three rounds within 4 or 5 stokes of par, but i havn't been able to consistantly keep it under 80 yet :/

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys succeed here..

I finished at -1 tonight after 9.. Hopefully Sunday is the day I can find par. I feel like I'm due based on the way I've been playing.

Back