What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened to some people and tried the Top Flight Gamer V2 today. I was very surprised by this ball. Certainly the best sub-$20 ball I've played, and it seemed to work better for me than any ball in the $20-30 range. This ball is my gamer for a while.

It flew straighter and did not balloon as badly off my driver as premium and mid-price ball. Didn't notice a loss in distance on my irons compared to mid-price and premium balls, and it seemed to be the same trajectory and spin with any full swing. On chip shots it did roll out more than the premium balls, but no more than the mid price balls. For the price, I am very pleased with this ball. I will admit, I had dismissed the ball in the past because of my opinion of Top Flight balls I have played in the past. My only gripe is I hate the look of the "dimple within the dimple". Obviously this is not a real problem, I just find it odd looking.

The Gamer V2 is my go to ball too. I get some flack from friends for playing a "rock flite" but the gamer aint no XL1000, its a good ball. Most of my friends play E6s which just dont do it for me. I will stick to my Gamers for now (though I do wish they made it in orange or yellow)

Many of you know that I was really struggling with my swing over the last month. I was pushing everything 20-30 yards right of my target, and I was losing a lot of balls. So now this week I have figured out what to do to fix my swing, and it is coming along very nicely. I was worried to buy expensive balls right away in case it tooks me a few rounds to get the swing down, and I usually play with Penta balls. I was at my local golf shop and they had Titleist NXT Tour balls on sale for $15/dozen. I knew that was a great deal and have heard some people talk about this ball before, so I decided to give them a shot. I have used them for my last two 9-hole rounds, and I must say it is an okay ball, but it is nowhere near good enough to stay in my bag once I save a few more bucks to take advantage of the buy 2 get one free special on Penta balls. Anyhow, the ball flight on the NXT Tour is higher than what I am used to with the Penta. Spin around the greens is okay, but not as much as I like. Distance is not as good as the Penta. I hit the Penta a good 5-10 yards longer than I am hitting these. The biggest difference for me is how it feels with the putter. There is nothing that compares to a Penta for me off the putter, and this ball has nothing compared to the soft feel I get with the Penta. I still putted well with the NXT tour today, but I just do not like how it feels off the putter. Definitely looking forward to getting some more Pentas.

Qstar. It feels like too much spin off the tee for me (driver/3w) but besides that the ball performs well.

Many of you know that I was really struggling with my swing over the last month. I was pushing everything 20-30 yards right of my target, and I was losing a lot of balls. So now this week I have figured out what to do to fix my swing, and it is coming along very nicely. I was worried to buy expensive balls right away in case it tooks me a few rounds to get the swing down, and I usually play with Penta balls. I was at my local golf shop and they had Titleist NXT Tour balls on sale for $15/dozen. I knew that was a great deal and have heard some people talk about this ball before, so I decided to give them a shot. I have used them for my last two 9-hole rounds, and I must say it is an okay ball, but it is nowhere near good enough to stay in my bag once I save a few more bucks to take advantage of the buy 2 get one free special on Penta balls. Anyhow, the ball flight on the NXT Tour is higher than what I am used to with the Penta. Spin around the greens is okay, but not as much as I like. Distance is not as good as the Penta. I hit the Penta a good 5-10 yards longer than I am hitting these. The biggest difference for me is how it feels with the putter. There is nothing that compares to a Penta for me off the putter, and this ball has nothing compared to the soft feel I get with the Penta. I still putted well with the NXT tour today, but I just do not like how it feels off the putter. Definitely looking forward to getting some more Pentas.
This is the ball my course uses at the range. It is a great range ball as it is comparable to other balls you would buy but I would agree with you that it is not my ball of choice.

I recently went through a ball trial and error experience. I went from Callaway HX hot to HX hot plus to tour (i)x to (i)z to bridgestone E6. After all these balls I was surprised to find that for my game the Callaway HX hot plus give me the most distance with the best flight. Is there a 2011 ball similar to the HX hot plus???

I played a Penta TP that I got from the signup on their site a while back. Honestly I really liked this golf ball. Off the tee on longer holes I didn't really notice a huge difference from my regular gamer the e6. However when it came to short par 3's where I was driving the green, approach shots into the green, and putting the Penta really blew my e6 away in terms of stopping and feel. I could really like this ball I think if it wasn't for the price tag and the fact I usually lose 2-3 balls a round still. Losing a sleeve a round at $25 a box isn't as painful as $40 a box

I have tried several balls lately while trying to get back into the game. My swing speed is in the 90-95mph range so I have been trying the slow swing balls. The best ones i have tried have been the Precept Laddie X, Noodle+ and the Bridgestone B330-RX (very little spin though, thinking of trying the RXS). They all seem to be real good balls for my swing.

played one ball today... lasted the whole round
titleist nxt... good ball bad swing

really liking the PROv1 and the PENTAS i have been playing the last few rounds. I think I will be sticking to those balls for now on. Not really liking thr z-stars that I have. Feel solid off the driver but off the irons off the tee they feel like rocks.

i played the pro v1x today i find that i drive the ball longer with the pro v1x. i go back and forth between that and the Srixon z-star xv. I like the pro v1x off the tee and long irons. The srixon is hands down much better on approach shots around the green and putting the ball feels much softer and gets more spin.

I have been playing with the Callaway Diablo's as I had trouble getting off the tee straight and was loosing balls for a while. . . as I've improved I started using the Titelist Pro V1 "PRACTICE" balls. As I am a MA hole they are easily found here in MA. .and with only cosmetic issues I am quite happy with them. I have found that I am in such control of my mid to short irons and short shots that I can really get the ball to work well for me. I really like the soft feel of the ball with irons the only complaint I have is I never feel like the balls jumps off the face of the driver. I understand that this is not what the ball is intended to do but wishes are wishes!

Restocked on Pentas, so I played one today. It went great. The extra spin has really helped my short game.

Pro V1 392.

Low spinning off the driver, decent distance, okay feel. Easy to work off irons, but I couldn't back it up at all. I hit a 40 yard, open face wedge and had it roll a foot. Old ball, perhaps?

I have been playing with the Callaway Diablo's as I had trouble getting off the tee straight and was loosing balls for a while. . . as I've improved I started using the Titelist Pro V1 "PRACTICE" balls. As I am a MA hole they are easily found here in MA. .and with only cosmetic issues I am quite happy with them. I have found that I am in such control of my mid to short irons and short shots that I can really get the ball to work well for me. I really like the soft feel of the ball with irons the only complaint I have is I never feel like the balls jumps off the face of the driver. I understand that this is not what the ball is intended to do but wishes are wishes!

First post - I've been lurking for a while

Have been playing the ProV1 for the last 2-3 year but this year I received a free box of Callaway Diablo's and I have taken a real liking to them. They are definitely longer and produce less spin, especially with my driver. Not as soft around the greens, but it has not hurt my game. I have been playing Diablos the last two months, scoring well and they are half the cost of ProV's.

I played the TaylorMade Penta today.. Not much to say other than I love that ball. Lots of distance, lots of greenside spin, and a soft feel off the putter.

There are multiple things about this that literally makes zero sense to me.
Pro V1 392.

Low spinning off the driver, decent distance, okay feel. Easy to work off irons, but I couldn't back it up at all. I hit a 40 yard, open face wedge and had it roll a foot. Old ball, perhaps?

Bridgestone E6.

Hit it well, putted with it well, wasnt the best ball in the world on chips. Used the same ball for almost 27 holes, it took a beating, cart marks, tree marks lol, but after a 38 on the back, no way was I parting ways with it.

I played the TaylorMade Penta and then about 8 holes with the Nike 20XI.

Both awesome balls.. I like the Penta better for putting but I feel like the 20XI went for days off the tee.

played a Nike 20XI-s today, nice ball I really liked it. nice off the tee and good spin into the greens. Defenitly put it up with the Prov1 and Penta

Been playing the E5 for a while... Great straight flight off the long sticks, & very good spin with the short irons & wedges. Pretty durable too!

Also have threw the Srixon Trispeed Tour Yellow into play a few times... Also a great ball IMO.

Played the THP mystery ball, I wrote up my thoughts in the testing thread.

2 rounds with the Z-Star XV this week, 2 lowest scores of the year. You can call me a buyer or owner on this one.

I played the TaylorMade Penta and then about 8 holes with the Nike 20XI.

Both awesome balls.. I like the Penta better for putting but I feel like the 20XI went for days off the tee.

I really like the 20XI-X. It is just too new to ever be marked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back