TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

30 days of experience

30 days of experience

New member. Pleased to find this forum. Previously played Mizuno forged MP's and Burner 2009's (1.0's). Wanted to go back to forged after Burners. From this forum and Sports Illustrated reviews these sounded like a great option. Am at the point now where I am very comfortable with and pleased with these irons. The previous comments about having to hit these with good tempo and reasonably close to the sweet spot are spot on. They are forgiving, but to get the sweet feel and accuracy of the forged club you need to hit it well. Off center hits lose some distance, but it is not dramatic. They are shorter (10 yards) than the Burners but equal to the Mizunos. I am more than willing to make this trade off for the accuracy/feel benefits of these clubs. I am now at the point where focusing on good tempo and contact are a part of my set up so I am getting very confident with them. They are great looking, but more importantly have a great profile at set up. If you are a good ball striker or willing to spend some time focusing on your ball striking these clubs will definitely reward your effort. If your ball striking is spotty you will still benefit from their accuracy and forgiveness but will not get the awesome feel/feedback as often.

Played 18 yesterday and noticed no real distance loss on thin shots. Hit a few thin shots and one fat shot all day and the distance loss wasn't there like it has been in the past. I tried muscling up on a 135 yd PW shot and hit an awful shot. I then remembered, you can't do that with these clubs. Nice and easy swing works everytime. I let the forged club do it's job. I've been hitting these great as of late, my iron game has been the best part of my game so far. Now I just need to wrangle in my driver and putter and get them to both start working and I'll be able to consistenly break 90.

man I love these irons, I hit them so pure today it was sickening. The only bad shots with them were long irons off of the tees, but even those got solid distance.

Now if I can only get my tee game together, along with these irons would mean way less strokes!

man I love these irons, I hit them so pure today it was sickening. The only bad shots with them were long irons off of the tees, but even those got solid distance.

Now if I can only get my tee game together, along with these irons would mean way less strokes!

I am REALLY glad you're having success with these man.. I was really hoping to see you hit them today.

I am REALLY glad you're having success with these man.. I was really hoping to see you hit them today.

we'll have to meet up for a range session and smack them around. Wouldnt mind trying it sometime this week, got a tourney on Sat and need to get these distances dialed in cause I caught myself being a few yards short yesterday on some solid struck shots

good stuff Mike! what long irons are you having trouble with? 4 and 5?

yeah the 4 and the 5 right now are coming off of the face solid, but im pushing them right...obviously my swing

Im hitting the 8-PW real nice thus far.

the 6 and 7 have been iffy, hit the 7 real good at the range yesterday but struggled with the accuracy on the course.

But all in all, real satisfied with the purchase

yeah the 4 and the 5 right now are coming off of the face solid, but im pushing them right...obviously my swing

the 6 and 7 have been iffy, hit the 7 real good at the range yesterday but struggled with the accuracy on the course.

you were hitting them well yesterday for sure, you have a great ball flight with them

It will take a little time, today was the first time I hit my new irons really well every shot and I have had them 6 weeks now

I had a problem pushing my 4i to the right. I've gotten use to it and compensated. I've tried to compact the ball more with the 4 iron and it's provided me with better accuracy.

I think I made a huge mistake. I have a combo set (5CB; 67MC; 8PWMB). I actually just picked up the 5 iron last week. Went to the range last night and have never hit a long iron so well. When I originally tested out all 3 of these, I didnt feel a huge difference between the short irons. I am hoping that the biggest difference between these is in the longer irons. I hope I dont end up regretting going with a combo set rather than going with all CB's.

a not so pretty day with the irons today.

my swing has me pulling up too soon and im catcihng too many balls thin on the bottom 3rd of the club.

That along with lower body movement have hurt my iron game, but once I get those things situated, then these will really pay dividends

Having read all 121 pages of this thread over the last week or so I want to say thank you to everyone who has been testing these and posting their comments. It is much better to get feedback from people who have been playing these for an extended period rather than just hitting a few shots for a review.

There are lots of comments on full shots and even on changing the flight but very little on what they are like round the green. I was wondering if someone could give an idea of what they are like for playing chip shots or pitch and runs around the green? Maybe from 8i to PW/AW.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I don't think it has.

Having read all 121 pages of this thread over the last week or so I want to say thank you to everyone who has been testing these and posting their comments. It is much better to get feedback from people who have been playing these for an extended period rather than just hitting a few shots for a review.

There are lots of comments on full shots and even on changing the flight but very little on what they are like round the green. I was wondering if someone could give an idea of what they are like for playing chip shots or pitch and runs around the green? Maybe from 8i to PW/AW.

The PW has slowly become one of my favorite clubs in this set. At address it looks beautifully and from about 135 yards in, this club is just damn surgical. The loft seems just right to help get the ball up and the forged face helps give it that soft touch on 3/4 shots. I have used the 8iron around the green for bump and run shots but you need to be careful because when you hit a bump and run shot on the center of the face the ball flies off the face. As for the 9i, this club has seemed to be really excelling for me out of crappy lies from about 145 in. The leading edge really helps dig into deep rough (and at some of my local courses, that pesky fescue grass).

I have been having trouble with my PW and GW gapping shots. My PW is good from about 135in but my GW is only about 100yds or so. So I find myself taking a lot of 1/2, 3/4 swings with the PW. I have found no real issues with this (other than me being lazy and pushing a ball when I swing 3/4).

My set stops at the PW. The biggest issue I had initally is that on chips they came off the face hotter than my old clubs but once I got used to them they are very consistent. IMO the weight of the club is heavy enough that I can feel the clubhead as I come back and through which helps me keep my chipping stroke smooth. For pitching the low CG helps get the ball up off the turf nicely and the roll is predictable though without too much trouble you can add spin and curtail the runout. Best of all, there is still enough feedback at these slow swing speeds to know how well you are hitting it.

I agree these clubs really cut through the turf. My miss has been me pulling up and blading balls, once I get that under control I will fully be able to appreciate these clubs

I was wondering if someone could give an idea of what they are like for playing chip shots or pitch and runs around the green? Maybe from 8i to PW/AW.

I have a lot of success with the 8i, 9i and PW doing little bump and runs from maybe 20 yards and in. The clubs are precision instruments. In particular the 9 iron just sets up well for me with respect to its loft and I've gotten extremely accurate with it. If I'm using the 8i-PW from anywhere within about 15 feet of the green, and I'm in a relatively good lie, my swing thought with my former irons used to be "I hope I get it close", but with the CBs, my swing thought has changed to "I'm going to make this."

god I love these irons.

When Im not being dumb and coming up on my shots, these things are basically automatic.

Still working on the distances, but they have been solid up to this point.

Still some work to do with the 4I and the 5I sometimes, it appears that im coming though with the clubface open on these more than anything cause I make solid contact on the fave but the ball tails right

getting closer with these things.

The ball striking was great yesterday, only 1 topper and that was cause I was under a tree near some roots and was afraid of destroying the 5I.

Slowly getting distances dialed in, rally hit my 6 and 7I well. Didnt hit many 8 and 9I cause I was shorter off the tee than normal since I wasnt using a driver

The 5I has been good out of the fairway and so/so off of the tee, my miss is the slice to the right, but very rarely now.

I have a lot of success with the 8i, 9i and PW doing little bump and runs from maybe 20 yards and in. The clubs are precision instruments. In particular the 9 iron just sets up well for me with respect to its loft and I've gotten extremely accurate with it. If I'm using the 8i-PW from anywhere within about 15 feet of the green, and I'm in a relatively good lie, my swing thought with my former irons used to be "I hope I get it close", but with the CBs, my swing thought has changed to "I'm going to make this."

Good to hear that these give a lot of confidence around the greens. Not always the easiest thingto work out at the range.

My 8iron was working beautifully today for quick little bump and runs. I hit one two feet from the cup from about 30 yards out.

I gamed my new CBs in The Morgan Cup. I'm going to have some thoughts, but right now I'm too tired and need to get home tomorrow and decompress and get caught up at work. I will say I like them a lot, and covered quite a few pins with the short irons.

Kevin

I gamed my new CBs in The Morgan Cup. I'm going to have some thoughts, but right now I'm too tired and need to get home tomorrow and decompress and get caught up at work. I will say I like them a lot, and covered quite a few pins with the short irons.

Kevin

Glad you like them Kevin, also glad you guys had a great time at the MC, really enjoyed watching it

Kevin

Cant wait to hear your thoughts Esox!

Back