Swing plane is way inside

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
I am looking for a drill I can use to make sure I stay on plane through the backswing. After analyzing my swing a little bit I noticed I bring the club back too far inside. I try to manipulate it to make sure it is straight back at 3 o'clock, but then by the time I get to the top of my back swing and transition to the downswing then it just drops back inside and I still have the same in-to-out swing which continues to cause 20-30 yard pushes to the right. There is no curve to the ball, just a straight push. PLEASE HELP!

I'm no pro, but if your are sure that is what is going on try this. put a second ball 2 inches in front and 2 inches further from you. or said another way: 45* up and left of your current ball position. Try to no hit the second ball.

Hey man, this is the AskThePro section, please wait until they have posted before writing anything.

You may have said the key words: "I try to manipulate it." It shouldn't feel like a manipulation, just a turning around a still (and tilted) axis.

Here are a few checkpoints/drills:

1. Careful you aren't too tilted to the right from the waist up with the irons- your left ear should be roughly even with the back of the ball. Titling much more than this can be one cause of a sweeping inside move.
2. A flat and inside takeaway can be from leveling the shoulders out too soon. Imagine there is a laser pointing out of your shirt buttons- note where that would hit the ground? Your goal on the way back is to get the left shoulder roughly pointing to that spot at the top of your backswing.
3. An arm "roll" can also promote a too-inside backswing. Place a playground ball (logo up) between the forearms/elbows with it gently touching your abdomen. As you take the club back, keep the same gentle pressure against your body and note what the logo does- if you see it rotating clockwise dramatically, it's your arms fanning things inside. This drill stops helping when the left arm gets just below parallel to ground, but it's a great indicator of what your early tendencies are. Generally, your right arm should feel "on top" and straighter for longer.

Good luck with that,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Thanks a lot GolfTec, I will definitely try the ball drill, the point you make about feeling like the right arm is "on top" might just be the key for me here. As I sit here without a club in my hand and just make some swings without club I already feel like trying to keep my right arm on top feels like I have a better takeaway. As long as it doesnt rain I will get the chance to hit the range later today, I will let you know how it works out! Thanks again!

Golftec, I made it to the range today and your tips definitely helped! It will take a little more time at the range and on the course to feel comfortable with it and make it natural, but it is looking much better! When I started out I was hitting almost all of them straight but I was catching most of them thin. After a little bit I was getting much better contact, and 75% of them were straight. Other than I would have one here at there that would actually fade a little and a couple long irons that still had more of a draw than I am used to, but I think both of these mistakes are due to my grip. I need to have someone look at my grip because I do not think my right hand is where it should be. Anyhow, none of my fades or draws were too severe, and I was in a rush when I was hitting at the range because I had to be somewhere, but the push is longer there! HOORAY! Now that my swing is back I bought some more golf balls so I can go out to the course and play tomorrow. I ran out of balls a couple weeks ago and I wasn't going to invest in any more until I got the swing figured out because I was losing them too fast from pushing everything into hazards. So thanks again Golftec! When I get a chance I will be posting a photo of my grip on here too so you can tell me what I need to do for that. You are a life saver!

Well...I know I just posted a few minutes ago, but just to see how things look I just went out and recorded a few swings. While I really feel that keeping my right arm "on top" was keeping me from coming too far inside, my swing plane is still inside. When I get to the top of my my backswing my club shaft is not even close to parallel to the target line. My shaft is pointing way right of the target line. ARGH!!!!! I just don't get it. I wish I knew how to upload videos because this is just rediculous. While I got the camera out I'll snap a picture of my grip, maybe that is part of it. But I don't see how my grip could be forcing me to bring it so far inside or causing the shaft to point so far right of the target at the top of my backswing.

OK so here is my grip. Not sure how much you can tell from this photo, but I just thought I would try because my swing is way off track.

IMG_0228.jpg

Now that my swing is back I bought some more golf balls so I can go out to the course and play tomorrow. I ran out of balls a couple weeks ago and I wasn't going to invest in any more until I got the swing figured out because I was losing them too fast from pushing everything into hazards.

Glad to hear you are excited again after being down in your last post! Golf is a great game when you are making progress.

Went out for 9 holes today and every shot was straight with the exception of my last two drives that I hit toward the heel and so they faded quite a bit. Neither of them ended up unplayable though, one ended up as a par and one ended up as a bogey after I lipped out the par putt. That was my first round trying out the new swing on the course and it went great. I was even hitting the ball further because I was catching them so pure, which cost me a couple strokes because I hit them over the green. Anyhow, thanks for all the help!!!

Went out for 18 holes yesterday, pushed every iron shot at least 15 yards right again. I figured out how to upload a video from my android to youtube, so here is a current video of my swing. Sorry it is sideways I don't know how to change it. I feel like I am more on plane with the club shaft, but is my shoulder angle not steep enough? It was just a thought I had after watching the video, if anyone can give me any insight I would appreciate it. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fwxFQsYw8

Back