Is a 5 Wood Needed in the Bag??

I am thinking about dropping the 3 & 5 woods and getting a 4 wood and wedge. You could always do that too if not too late to return 3 wood

Tapatalking from iPhone

I took my lob wedge out a while back and put in a 5W. I'm one of those people who use a 56* sand wedge for 90% of shots around the green. Just figure out where you need the most help and put more clubs there. Personally, I needed the 5W for one particular shot on my home course.

Well I flip flopped again. I took my 3H out and put in a 5W and added a lob wedge. I keep going back and forth. Sometimes I like having the 3H in the bag with one less wedge, but other times I like have the extra wedge. I mean with the 5W I added I am now only 4 degrees between my 5W and my 4H.

I've not used a 5 Wood for some time either. Personally find my TM Rescue Dual 19* sits perfectly between my 3 Wood and 4 Iron. Works well on the fairway and I find it's slightly easier to use in more akward situations like the short rough etc.

I replaced my 5-wood with a 19* hybrid and never looked back. I love hitting the hybrid from the rough or from the first cut off the fairway. I like having a 60* lob wedge as well, it usually saves my butt the 2 or three times i use it in a round, like from bunkers with a really tall lip.

i go from driver right to 2hybrid i have a 4 iron that i take in and out i change with my 64* wedge depending on the length of the course i am playing no need to take it out all the time but normally i have my 64* in my bag

I like your thinking. Drop the 5w and pick up that LW

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

For me, the setup you are looking at is the way to go. I hit my lob wedge MUCH more often I hit my 3H or 3W, and I don't find myself looking a distance I can't reach with one of them.

Over the past two years, I have re-worked my bag.
I went from a Driver, 3W, 5W; 3-9 Irons and 3 Wedges, 46 (PW), 52, 58
TO:
Driver, 3W, 3H (18d), 4H (22d) Changes my wedges to 46(PW), 52, 56, 60

Here is my thought process. I had too little gap (degrees) between my longer irons/woods (2-3 degrees each from my 5W to 3i to 4i to 5i) and too big a gap within the wedges (6 degrees each between PW to GW to LW).
Looking at my setup now, my biggest gap (6 degrees) is between my PW (46) and GP (52). Everything else is 4 degrees.

I loved my 5W, 3 and 4 irons, but after getting use to the hybrids, I can control the trajectory being able to hit them high or low. That was not an option with the 3 and 4 Irons (always hitting them low). Going from the 5W to the 3H was a wash. Wedge wise, I am able to be more consistent as I get close to the green and have a club for every distant.

I dropped my 5W for a 3 Hybrid a few years back, and have yet to miss it. Roughly the same distance, but feel that I hit a 3H much better than I did on a 5W. But, I am also a fan over a long iron than a wood/hybrid, as I have much better results with them.

I dumped the 3W and added a 5W. Similar distance and the 5W is easier to hit. No 3H I have hit can keep up with my 5W in terms of raw distance.

If I hit my five wood once per round on average it is a lot. More like once every few rounds. I should really get rid of it and get another wedge, too. My PW is a 47*, so I could slip in a 51*, bend my 54* and 58* back a degree and have nice 4* gaps from PW to LW and probably get a lot more use out of that extra GW than any 5w or 2h. And wedges are cheaper than a new 5w or 2h which = more money for rounds. :)

This may get me barred from this site but I used to carry a 5w and 3h and two wedges. Lucky 13 in total number of clubs. Haven't found a need to add anything else.

To clarify this is what I carry in my bag currently:

Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6-PW, GW, SW, Putter

Drop the 3W & that is my setup.. my 5W is 18* ( a note) I use a 4, 5 & 6 Hybrid for my 3, 4 & 5 iron & that was judged off of degrees intead of #

I use a 3w and 5w. They are way easier to hit than hybrids IMO. I might put a 3 iron into the bag for a little while though.

i skip the 5 wood and get better gaps in my wedges with 52 56 and 60. I prefer hybrids anyway.

I dumped the 3W and added a 5W. Similar distance and the 5W is easier to hit. No 3H I have hit can keep up with my 5W in terms of raw distance.

Same here!

Never owned a 5 wood, I have a 3h I use in place

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

never have, and never plan on owning a hybrid!

But your signature says that you have an M3 Mashie?

You would be dumb not to own a hybrid anyways. They are so easy to hit!!! I'm 21 and i'm not ashamed of using hybrids. Sure I can hit a 2 or 3 iron, but I can't get it in the air like a hybrid. So why not take advantage of it!?!

It doesn't get said any better than this:

I've got a 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 iron, and 4iron hybrid

Ideally, I want to replace my 5wood and 3 iron with an 18 or 20 degree hybrid. I too would add a wedge. You can never have too many wedges. Unless you like taking half swings all the time haha...I actually only use a 56 degree sand wedge right now, so it's hard because I have to use it for every shot 120 yds and in (just don't have the money to buy the equipment that I need)

I'm currently sitting at 13 clubs. Thinking about a 5w to fill the gap between my 3w and 3i. My wedge setup is PW (47*), gw (52*), lw (60*). I adjust the swing for the distances I need between those 3 wedges.

$128 for the Burner 2.0 5w also makes me ponder...

I never used 3 iron in play but I did use 4 irn. Recently I decided to take theses guys away from my bag. You can see in signature what i'm playing now. The thinking was primarily that the two hybrids that I was going to buy should from one side make it a bit easier to hold the ball on the green with 200+ approaches and of course easier to hit.
Hybrids are going so much higher!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Its all personal preference. Some people really like having a 5-wood because its easier to get the ball up in the air than is a 3-wood. Personally, Id drop the 5-wood and add a lob wedge but its really more of a matter of which club you think would be more helpful to you and your game.

Back