Phil photographed practicing with a Belly Putter

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I guess one of the greatest player of our generation has decided to try the Belly Putter. Only he knows if it is a good choice but is it OK for Phil to put this in play?
I feel if he does, the belly putter may become the critch of choice ofr guys that feel their putting has been holding them back from more wins. This may become more than just a fleeting moment for the BP.

More power to him - has not exactly been lights out putting lately for him with the short stick. It's legal so I have zero qualms with it.

I'm really hoping he doesn't.

Maybe Bones will confiscate it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I imagine that Phil's putter has cost him quite a few wins and at least a couple of Major Championships. I would love to see him be a better putter, especially from 4' and in.

Keegan must have talked him into it.

Hmm, always worth his while to try it if it gains even a fraction of an advantage.

Very surprised there hasn't been more movement to have them banned though.

It will be weird to see Phil putt without the hugely pronounced forward press.

I agree...thanks for fixing the title for me...

I can't see Phil with a long Putter. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I wonder if it's a heel shafted putter? That would be weird looking.

He's gonna look so goofy with this thing. Wonder what model it was he was using.

By "without the hugely pronounced forward press", do you mean "well"? Because it would be weird to see him putting well.

He's gonna look so goofy with this thing. Wonder what model it was he was using.

That's where my head is too. It will look odd but the guy is probably the worst putter from 10 feet and in. If a long putter helps him there, I'm all for it. I've said for a while that he needs a DART.

That's where my head is too. It will look odd but the guy is probably the worst putter from 10 feet and in. If a long putter helps him there, I'm all for it. I've said for a while that he needs a DART.

Yep i couldn't agree more. Kinda funny to think Vijay helped start this trend so long ago. Back then it was only old men who had lost "it" that would even try something like this.

Did anyone else on the regular tour use one of these with any success before Vijay?

This is an intresting turn of events.... It will be cool to see what happens tomorrow!

Yep i couldn't agree more. Kinda funny to think Vijay helped start this trend so long ago. Back then it was only old men who had lost "it" that would even try something like this.

Did anyone else on the regular tour use one of these with any success before Vijay?

Not that I remember, but now even some young studs are rocking the longer putter. Ironically, they are in contention more. Whatever Phil can do to make a nice run over the next few years would be great. He's got it in just about every other aspect but on the greens man. I'm pretty keen to see how it all works for him.

A few years ago I look at this and I think it makes big news. Now, its kind of an afterthought. So many golfers have gone or have tried longer putters that I think it becomes the norm to see. Who would have thought that the two best players in the world of the last decade plus, would be struggling so badly with their putting.

Not that I remember, but now even some young studs are rocking the longer putter. Ironically, they are in contention more. Whatever Phil can do to make a nice run over the next few years would be great. He's got it in just about every other aspect but on the greens man. I'm pretty keen to see how it all works for him.

I wonder how he feels if he goes out and wins a bunch with it. Will he be kicking himself for not making the switch sooner?

For those asking, he is using the Odyssey Sabertooth.
And has openly said "so far I dont putt too well with it".

A few years ago I look at this and I think it makes big news. Now, its kind of an afterthought. So many golfers have gone or have tried longer putters that I think it becomes the norm to see. Who would have thought that the two best players in the world of the last decade plus, would be struggling so badly with their putting.

Well, Phil's always struggled with a putter to be honest. The demise of Tiger's short game almost leaves me speechless.

For those asking, he is using the Odyssey Sabertooth.
And has openly said "so far I dont putt too well with it".

So many things have to be weird for him. Like you said no massive forward press, a tiny blade to a huge mallet. I hope he sticks with it.

Showing some video of it and talking about it now on the Morning Drive. Will be interesting to see if it makes it into the bag this weekend.

He should just watch that video he made.

Maybe he will just put the ball a foot back in his stance so he can press. :alien:

Back