Old irons -VS- new technology

DCSerafin

Reaction score
Handicap
Its not a new argument, but the same argument by one of the same people. Im not knocking Terry, I really am not because he is incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable and has been around for years. However I do think some of his ideas are outdated and his arguments always seem to cater around the same premise.

Its not always the simple things such as a cavity that changes things. Sometimes shape, weighting, grind, leading edge change the way things are done. Or metal, technology, insert (vibration dampening). All things done in recent years in the wedge market by almost every major OEM.

Terry is not stupid, he is trying to sell a system. The SCOR golf system. If he wrote an article saying that cavity back wedges are better and here is the proof that perimeter weighting works, but please by my blade wedges anyway, it would not go over so well. Instead, he is backing his system and I respect that. Just as Cleveland backs theirs with lighter technology, TM does theirs with adjustability and longer shafts, Boccieri with heavier technology, etc. etc. etc.

Just because its on Oob doesn't mean its not biased...!

Good points, and I researched heavily before switching back to baldes becasue I wanted to understand the true differences. Taking the bias selling a brand out of the equation, my point is this. Most every wedge I have seen, used (and I know there are a few out there that are not) have all been blades with no perimeter weighting. And I have this argument with my friends all the time that blades are more consistantly accurarate "when hit correctly" and on the same spot on the face of the club. The idea that technology companies have come up with a way for the outcome of our shots to be more consistent when not hit correctly is great, but it has to come at some cost. I think that cost is the consistency and accuracy when the ball is pured off the face. I loved my cavity backs, played them for 10+ years, but my ball striking and scores have improved since going back to blades. The comparison I use is with bowling. Yeah, I can score better if I cover the gutters with those gurads, but am I really improving my form and playing better?

And I am glad that they work for you. But I disagree with the rest personally. If striking the ball correctly resulting in the best performance, those guys that never miss the center would be all playing them. Yet now (at last count) over 70% of them are playing perimeter weighted clubs. And companies like Ping would never ever see tour usage.

I got a friend that tests clubs for a living and is as knowledgable as anyone on the topic. Tour pros will mishit their irons or woods 6 to 10 times per round and would greatly benefit from a more forgiving club on those particular occasions. Tour pros also can't be compared to anyone else and my friend firmly believes no one should be hitting blades unless they are a tour pro. He said that isn't to say certain blades aren't better than badly designed cavity back irons since many variables are taken into account when determining the playability of an iron. I'll leave the model out of it because I won't hear the end of it, but a certain mizuno iron set has the center of gravity so high that you can't hit the sweet spot. They may feel like butter to some, but you literally can't get the sweet spot because of the design flaw (I'm not implying all mizuno irons are this way, only one commonly played model. Also, this can go for many models from different oem's).

Your blades may force you to concentrate better because they are unforgiving, but any player would greatly improve if they put the same concentration into all their swings and benefit from a more forgiving club on mishits. One more myth about blades, according to my friend, is workability. Working the ball is a product of two things... face angle at impact and swing path (this agrees with Physics). Like I said, some cavity backs are horribly designed and a player wouldn't get much out of them, but finding a well designed forgiving club is better for a players score. Aside from ball flight, blades are consistent in one other aspect... keeping you further from the hole when compared to a more playable iron.

Back