Phil photographed practicing with a Belly Putter

It's confirmed by the Morning Drive! Phil is bagging the belly putter in today's round.

Wow! Let's hope he makes some putts.

It's confirmed by the Morning Drive! Phil is bagging the belly putter in today's round.

Hope it works out for him!

I really want to take a belly putter for a test drive.

So, what if Phil just starts draining everything? What happens after that?

So, what if Phil just starts draining everything? What happens after that?

TC gets a belly putter and we stop talking. :alien: Then you might as well get rusty wedges too.

I got mine ordered ( white ghost spider 43) and I really see nothing wrong with anyone using them. I happy for Phil and hope it helps him fire up his career and get back in the winners circle.

edit: They are not that easy to putt with unless you put hours of practice using them so the advantage people speak of is not doing it for me. Also if it did provide some magical powers of putting genius to a player to prolong his career, I don't see a problem with that. There will always be traditional golfers who frown on them but I bet if they tried using them they would see it is not an instant fix for putting woes. You still have to build your skill with them and practice, practice, practice!

I'm kinda surprised Westwood hasnt tried it yet.

I got mine ordered ( white ghost spider 43) and I really see nothing wrong with anyone using them. I happy for Phil and hope it helps him fire up his career and get back in the winners circle.

Putting is so mental, what works one week may not work as well next week (in your mind). If Phil has confidence using the belly putters, and his mental game on the green is clicking with it, then why not.

I have no issues with belly putters, and have often thought of grabbing one for myself. Things change, people have to adjust.

Maybe Bones will confiscate it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

On The Feherty show Bones and Fluff were asked what was the one thing they would most like to change on the tour. Bones' answer was to not allow the use of long putters...I think he also mentioned the third contact point. I would bet Phil thinks that also but if it is legal might as well give it a try.

I won't own a belly putter. Mostly b/c I'm fat, and it would make me feel weird. I don't have a problem with someone using one though. My old man use to use one when he struggled with putting. I hope Phil wins this weekend.

Just after Bones said on Feherty that he didn't agree with long putters on tour......hmmmm.

Just after Bones said on Feherty that he didn't agree with long putters on tour......hmmmm.

yea but bones has got to go with what the Boss wants in his bag.... The boss writes his paychecks so bones should be happy if he makes more money and the boss is happy... You got to go with the flow.

yea but bones has got to go with what the Boss wants in his bag.... The boss writes his paychecks so bones should be happy if he makes more money and the boss is happy... You got to go with the flow.

Agreed, I mean Bones has very little say with Phil, as seen many many times in play with some of Phil's choices on the course. Just saying I found it almost funny more than anything.

I agree with Bones...

How soon does TC switch if Phil wins with a long putter? Within a week.

I agree with Bones...

How soon does TC switch if Phil wins with a long putter? Within a week.

Are you on pot?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I won't own a belly putter. Mostly b/c I'm fat, and it would make me feel weird.

Phil does not exactly have the figure of Jim Furyk!

I especially like the last line of this Week in Review article.

From Golf Digest:

WEEK IN REVIEW

Long Returns

Webb Simpson's breakthrough victory in Greensboro makes it three straight weeks of long putters winning on the PGA Tour

BY JOHN STREGE
PHOTO BY HUNTER MARTIN/GETTY IMAGES
August 22, 2011
Webb Simpson's victory in the Wyndham Championship on Sunday has set off alarms in some precincts that are concerned that the integrity of the game is being compromised by putter length.

The last three PGA Tour events have been won by those employing elongated putters -- Simpson and PGA Championship winner Keegan Bradley using belly putters and WGC-Bridgestone Invitational winner Adam Scott using a long putter. To boot, Fred Couples won the Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship on Sunday using a belly putter.

The objection is that these putters are anchored against the body, simplifying the putting stroke.

A quick history lesson: Billy Casper, one of the best putters in history ("he could make a 40-foot putt just by winking at it," Chi Chi Rodriguez once said), anchored the putter.

In the book "What's a Golfer to do?" by Golf Digest's Ron Kaspriske, Casper explained the key to putting fast greens. "Positioning your hands very close to your body will give you a great deal of club control during the stroke," he said. "I even go so far as to anchor my left hand against my left leg on short putts, keeping it there throughout my stroke."

Anchoring the putter in some fashion is not a new development and isn't going to spell the demise of golf as we know it.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-08/golf-strege-monday-recap-0822#ixzz1WnfTR3Ua

I especially like the last line of this Week in Review article.

From Golf Digest:

WEEK IN REVIEW

Long Returns

Webb Simpson's breakthrough victory in Greensboro makes it three straight weeks of long putters winning on the PGA Tour

BY JOHN STREGE
PHOTO BY HUNTER MARTIN/GETTY IMAGES
August 22, 2011
Webb Simpson's victory in the Wyndham Championship on Sunday has set off alarms in some precincts that are concerned that the integrity of the game is being compromised by putter length.

The last three PGA Tour events have been won by those employing elongated putters -- Simpson and PGA Championship winner Keegan Bradley using belly putters and WGC-Bridgestone Invitational winner Adam Scott using a long putter. To boot, Fred Couples won the Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship on Sunday using a belly putter.

The objection is that these putters are anchored against the body, simplifying the putting stroke.

A quick history lesson: Billy Casper, one of the best putters in history ("he could make a 40-foot putt just by winking at it," Chi Chi Rodriguez once said), anchored the putter.

In the book "What's a Golfer to do?" by Golf Digest's Ron Kaspriske, Casper explained the key to putting fast greens. "Positioning your hands very close to your body will give you a great deal of club control during the stroke," he said. "I even go so far as to anchor my left hand against my left leg on short putts, keeping it there throughout my stroke."

Anchoring the putter in some fashion is not a new development and isn't going to spell the demise of golf as we know it.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-08/golf-strege-monday-recap-0822#ixzz1WnfTR3Ua

Great article Biggsy. I have been on/off with long putters because I never could get use to the darn things. They are not that easy to use especially on long uphill putts. I am going to try it one more try with the Ghost Spider belly putter. I sold all my other belly, t***y, and long putters as the dam things just felt akward.

I am in the camp of not particularly caring for the belly putters, one of the main reasons is I have tried several of them in big box stores and have never been able to get them to work well for me. If I was able to putt better with one I am sure I would quickly fall into the camp of loving the long putters, as has already been said, they are legal.

Back