handicap differences

wull

Reaction score
Handicap
after reading the thread about the "ghin revision" it got me wondering what the actual difference are between our handicap system over here and your's across there.when i played at crieff i was paired with a guy originally from the states(new york area)and he said it was easier to get cut but also easier for your handicap to go up.

over here you get cut depending on what category you are in for every stroke you are under your handicap.so for instance i am a category 2 player and for every stroke i am under the competition standard scratch my handicap will go down 0.2!!!if you are outside the biffer zone which for me is 2 over my handicap it will go up only 0.1!!!

he did say it's easier for your handicap to go up in the states,which makes sense because i know some friends who hit a bad patch and struggle to shoot anywhere near their handicap.

I don't completely understand the differences, but there was a thread recently where we discussed this (had a quick look but didn't find it). You're pretty much correct in the way it works, as we would see lower handicaps when we were playing well...but have more opportunity to go up when playing badly. Overall, the variances IMO would even out.

Back