Golf on The Jewel - Mackinac Island, MI(with pics)

emanthei

Reaction score
Handicap
My Labor Day weekend was spent on Mackinac Island between Michigan's Upper and Lower Peninsula's. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to play one of Michigan's most unique courses during my stay. An excerpt from the website is below give a brief description:

Golf on The Jewel

The Jewel is comprised of the Grand nine, across the street from the hotel; and the Woods nine, set in the interior of Mackinac Island. The Jewel features unparalleled scenic beauty, lush landscaping and meticulously manicured tees, fairways and greens.

The Grand nine was built in 1901 and redesigned in 1987 by prominent golf course architect Jerry Matthews. He also designed the Woods nine, added in 1994. Transportation between the Grand nine and Woods nine is by specially designed horse-drawn carriage. Clubs are available for rental. Golf carts and pull carts are available.

The 18-hole "Jewel" course at the The Jewel Golf Course facility in Mackinac Island, Michigan features 5,375 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 67 . Designed by Jerry Matthews, ASGCA, the Jewel golf course opened in 1987. Dan Musser manages the course as the President/Owner.

Playing this course for me was truly an experience I will always remember. Starting in the morning around 8am we took a ferry from Mackinaw City to the island which is about a 30 minute ride. Once arriving on the island they have a horse and carriage waiting to take your luggage and golf clubs up to the Grand Hotel if you are staying there and will drop your clubs at the pro shop. At this point you have a few options of travel as it is amount a 2 to 3 mile hike to the club house. You can ride with your bags on the carriage, rent a bike, or walk. We opted for bike rental as it gave a unique way to view your trip to the club house, riding through the city center and seeing all the shops open in the morning and riding through a small neighborhood with the residents waking up to a morning cup of coffee and reading the newspaper on their front porch greeting you as you ride by.

Once arriving to the club house, they have your clubs waiting for cart assignments and to get you going onto the first tee. The staff is very professional and very knowledgeable of the course and the island.

Playing through the front "Grand" nine was phenomenal... you get the sense that you are touching every part of the island as you play. The course is in such a great location, you get a new spectacular sight on every hole. The Michigan Governor's Mansion over looks a few of the holes as well as Fort Mackinac from various spots on the course. It is quite an experience to tee off on almost any hole and hear the sound of horses walking by. While motorized vehicles are prohibited on the island, they do offer golf carts while playing.

The back "Woods" nine is located about 1-1 1/2 miles into the woods of the island. It truly feels like each hole was just carved out of the landscape. There are tremendous views of the Mackinac Bridge and Lake Huron. The last few hole weave around the subtle airport as well as a few man-made lakes to build up the scenery a little bit more. Also located on The Woods Nine is the only par 5, but I tell you even some of the short par 4's could easily be par 5's. This short course is a true test to the average golfer all the way up to the experience scratch golfer.

I feel like I could go on forever about my experience but I will save my fingers a little stress today and leave you with a few pictures that I took. Please enjoy and I hope everyone can have a chance to play this wonderful course.

6119968781_ce8b07f729.jpg

Hole # 1. Par 4 339 Yds.

6120501364_53a07dc00b.jpg

Hole # 7 Par 3 219 Yds.

6119975101_098f9169fb.jpg

Tee Shot from # 7. This was one tough par 3. I put is just over the bunker on the right side of the green. Chipped and 2 putted for a bogey. Could easily be a par 4.

6120526392_a129a028af.jpg

Our ride from the front 9 to the back 9.

6120501396_bb80217781.jpg

Hole # 10 Par 4 314 Yds Looking out to Lake Huron. This picture after I hit my tee shot.

6119968769_0f8374d927.jpg

The view while putting on # 10.

6119968779_965c54c452.jpg

Looking back at Hole # 14 Par 3 136 Yds.

6120501410_0ef9581578.jpg

Hole # 17 Par 3 161 Yds. This is right along side of the airport and looking into the lake. You can see a plane just took off as we were about to hit.

6120501408_70fbd6b73a.jpg

Looking back to the 10th green from # 18. What a great view this was. The picture doesn't do it justice.

EDIT: If anyone would like to see more pics, PM me as I have about 120 more including some outside of the course.

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for the pics!

Stunning course that looks quite challenging as you eluded to. Thanks for posting the pics!

That's a really good looking course! Glad you enjoyed the experience!

great pics man, that place looks sick. the ride betweens 9s is something unique too.

great pics man, that place looks sick. the ride betweens 9s is something unique too.

Yes the ride between the 9s is something you wont get anywhere else. I was ble to get an adult beverage at the pro shop before we departed to enjoy along the ride. It was amazing and beats club house hot dog lunches any day!

think will have to make a stop on next summers trip to Traverse City area--looks like a great place to visit!

Wow, that is an absolutely beautiful course. Thanks for posting up the pics!

I'm a little late posting here and know the course is now snow covered but my first job in high school was working the Mac Island ferries and remember people taking their clubs over. My folks still live in Cheboygan and this is on my list for my summer visit. Are they still using the "sand" tees on the back nine?

Thanks for this man!!! We have considered boating up to Mackinac Island and then doing a little golf. This definitely got me excited to try to make it happen!

I'm a little late posting here and know the course is now snow covered but my first job in high school was working the Mac Island ferries and remember people taking their clubs over. My folks still live in Cheboygan and this is on my list for my summer visit. Are they still using the "sand" tees on the back nine?

No, I didn't notice any use of "sand" tees while I was there. That would be pretty cool if they did though. You definitely feel like you have gone back in time while on the island.

Thanks for this man!!! We have considered boating up to Mackinac Island and then doing a little golf. This definitely got me excited to try to make it happen!

You are welcome, I am glad you enjoyed. If you have the opportunity to play here I would highly suggest doing so. I have since decided to make this a yearly golf trip. It was so much fun.

Beautiful looking course. I almost spend a summer working on the island, but bailed out. That's gotta be a short season up there!

Beautiful looking course. I almost spend a summer working on the island, but bailed out. That's gotta be a short season up there!

Typically, Mid May to October. The Grand closes at the end of October for the winter. No heat. Depending on the snow coming and going, I've golfed as early as mid April and as late as Late Nov but I've also had to wait until late May to get on the courses and had to stop in early October.

Back