Bridgestone J40 Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These were featured in the THP Digital Newsletter and now you can see a video unboxing of these first hand.

NEW J40TM WEDGES OFFER GOLFERS PRECISION PERFORMANCE AND OPTIMIZED SPIN

Covington, Ga. — Bridgestone Golf announced today the launch of its new J40 wedges. The new wedges will be available in October 2011 at golf specialty stores and on-course retailers nationwide, coinciding with the release of new J40 woods, irons and hybrids. Featuring Variable Bounce Technology, standard Dynamic Gold™ Spinner shafts and two performance finishes, the J40 wedges deliver in form and function on the course.

Each J40 wedge utilizes Bridgestone’s Variable Bounce Technology in the sole for precise shot execution from a variety of turf conditions. In addition, all wedges come standard with Tour-proven Dynamic Gold™ Spinner shafts for increased spin performance.

The Bridgestone J40 Wedges feature:

a compact head size for optimized shot precision
increased surface roughness from machine milling for maximum spin among conforming grooves
8620 soft mild carbon steel head construction for optimum feel around the greens

“The machine milled grooves, Variable Bounce Technology and addition of the Dynamic GoldTM Spinner shaft ensure our new wedges offer optimum spin while conforming to current USGA guidelines,” said Corey Consuegra, Golf Club Marketing Manager – Bridgestone Golf, Inc.

J40 wedges are offered in two performance finishes to complement the clubs’ finely crafted machine-milled look. The Black Oxide finish provides a glare-reducing appearance at address and the timeworn rusting preferred by many professional and amateur golfers. The J40 Satin Chrome finish features a traditional, bright, rust-resistant finish.

“The J40 Wedges offer a design that will appeal to golf equipment purists, with a clean, classic look and consistently precise performance,” said Consuegra. “With the choice of Black Oxide or Satin Chrome, golfers can feel confident over shots with a club that suits their eye.”
The J40 Wedges are available in 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60 degrees of loft and feature a street price of $109 per wedge. The line will be available in October 2011 at golf specialty stores and on-course retailers nationwide.

For more information on the J40 Wedges and Bridgestone Golf’s entire Fall 2011 product offering, visit www.bridgestonegolf.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the video JB. So clean and simple looking. I have not had a chance to hit a wedge with the spinner shaft but from the feedback on the forum it seems to be a great stock offering.

I sure do like how you are implementing videos with your "unboxings".

These wedges are badass and I want them to be available for lefties.

Very nice looking and like was said in the video, great that they come with the Spinner shafts.

If there is one thing that Bridgestone does so well, their clubs look fantastic.

I love the chrome one!!! I love how it comes standard with the spinner. Cant wait to swing these babies

Great video, thanks for sharing. I like the clean look of those, and sure the finish on the black ones will look great when they wear. Looking forward to hearing about how they perform.

Absolutely love the simplicity of the design. The B looks very good on the back of the blade.

The black looks pretty amazing. Much better than I envisioned. The etching is something I really like as well.

How were they on full swings?

I love the etching. The spinners are a big plus as well. Gorgeous wedges

Lookin sharp! I wish they came in 50*. I wonder if I can get a 52 bent to a 50...

Great video, loved the look of these in the Newsletter. They look even better on video!

These wedges looks great.

As Jb mentioned in the video I was able to hit the chrome offering of the J40. They were still in the plastic when we arrived at the course. I warmed up with my usual clubs and then got into the 56* offer.

First thoughts were how clean the lines are on the wedge. Very straight forward in the offering not a lot of fluff. The finish of the clubs is great, it's a soft nickle color and I am sure this aids in cutting down on the glare that many wedges have in the sun.
It has a great weight through out the entire club. I don't think its a head heavy or shaft heavy club. There is a nice balance between the two.
It sets up very nice behind the ball, nice and square. On the turf with a little forward hand press it just looks like a solid hit will be delivered. The top line of the club is also pleasing to my eye.
The shaft is a DG spinner which is completely new to me. I have not hit enough different shafts to compare at this time but I did notice a mid ball flight. With my Nike VR Pro I get a high soft ball flight. The DG spinner gave me a more boreing ball flight that still spun once it hit. Not that crazy back it up spin, but that drop and stop spin.
The feel of the ball coming off the club face is nice. I hit the range after lunch today and the club made the range balls feel like a quality ball. The sound was that nice click you look for on a sweet hit. I varied my ball positions to obtain various ball flights and each time I was pleasantly surpised.
What impressed me the most was that I have not hit my current sand wedge over 100 yds in some time, it just has not been in the cards. But I was effortlessly hitting the J40 105 to 110 on a smooth full swing (3/4 for me with all scoring clubs) The 52* gave me the same results. A mid to high ball flight that was not affected much by the wind and danced once it hit the ground.
Now the 60* I hit once on the course and that did fare to well so I will have to work with this a bit more. But with the Variable sole on the club I am not sure how often I will need to use the 60*. I have come so used to opening my sand wedge for high lofted shots that my 58* or 60* get minimal use. But they will get some use, trust me.
All in all I was pleased with the short session I had with the wedges and look forward to putting these back in play in the coming days. I think Bridgestone might have a winner in these wedges.

Good info there Tadashi! Few questions for you:

Did you immediately notice anything different with turf interaction since this has the Variable Bounce technology as compared to the VR Pro's?
Is the leading edge fairly squared? It appeared to be from the video and I would consider the VR Pro to have a squared off leading edge for the most part.

Another great video JB. I like the idea of what I believe you call "Varital bounce"? Is that right? Just based on common sense it seems like it would make the wedge a whole lot better for a range of conditions....

The lower ball flight is definitely interesting. It sounds like a solid wedge. Thanks for sharing your thought, Tadashi.

Just watched the video. Love the looks of these wedges plus they rust!! Spinners are my new favorite wedge shaft.:bridgestone:

I like the simple look of them. Never hit a Bridgestone wedge before, and there is a ball fitting/equipment thing going on here in a couple weeks near me. Might have to hit them.

I'm interested to hear about the leading edge as well.

For me the leading edge is quite good. Not too sharp to cause digging and not too rounded to cause thin shots.

I have to tell you the interaction was great. I am a divot guy with my VR pros. The J40s still took a divot but it was much shallower than with my VR. This was true with the 56 and 52. The same was trus when I open the face of the 56* and hit a few armsy balls about 75 yrds. Typically this swing produces a nice divot but I was still getting that shallow impact.
And yes it is a square setup. Just placing the ball behind ball gives you a nice line as does the VR butthese seem to be a little more low profile, if you can have that in a wedge. Hope this helps...

Good info there Tadashi! Few questions for you:

Did you immediately notice anything different with turf interaction since this has the Variable Bounce technology as compared to the VR Pro's?
Is the leading edge fairly squared? It appeared to be from the video and I would consider the VR Pro to have a squared off leading edge for the most part.

This was my first time as well and boy was a I pleasantly surprised.

I like the simple look of them. Never hit a Bridgestone wedge before, and there is a ball fitting/equipment thing going on here in a couple weeks near me. Might have to hit them.

I really like the looks of these wedges, thanks for the video.

Also thanks for your thoughts on the wedge tadashi, I have a J38 wedge at home and really like it a lot, it sounds like the J40 could definitely work well for you.

damn, those are nice looking wedges...the black finish must look even better in person!

Back