Zebulebu

Reaction score
Handicap
So, the time has come to think about maybe getting myself a set of game improver irons. I'm currently hitting Cleveland HB3s and, whilst I love them for their high flight and straightness, I'm finding that, as my play slowly improves, I can't shape shots with them at all. I've tried other sets of SGI irons out and it's the same story with the Cobra S3 and Ping K15s - and although I do feel a bit more able to work the Mizuno JPX-800 I seemed to lose a chunk of distance with them.

So I guess the best thing to do would be to consider getting a set slightly more aimed at an improving player, rather than a hacker (not that I'm not still a hacker... I know I'm still a hacker :D)

I've got my eye on the Cleveland G16s and Ping G15s or G20s - if anybody in a situation similar to me plays them I'd love to hear about 'em out on the course, as I'm only going to get limited opportunities to try them at my local range.

Does anybody think this is a decent idea or am I being a bit optimistic by trading up this early in my 'golfing journey'? Just for background, I've been playing about six months and picked the game up pretty well (I like to think) at the outset, reached a plateau when i started shooting 100 or so, but have had a few lessons with a pro and started to see some good results - now play off around 20. Have a naturally high flight on my swing, but still get reasonable distance in flight (9i 120 8i 135 7i 150 6i 165 5i 180) and I'm happy with my distance, so not looking to gain anything there, just want to be able to shape shots when needed.

Thanks!

I played the G15's and liked them. Played the W/S Di11's and sold the Pings. Just a better club IMO plus the distance is insane. Had no issues shaping shots left and right. Flighting low was an issue but I was able to do it.:wilsonstaff:

I'd spend the money on lessons. Not sure why you need to shape shots at this point, but if you can't hit draws and fades with those irons, it will not be any easier with new irons. I say lessons first.

I'd spend the money on lessons. Not sure why you need to shape shots at this point, but if you can't hit draws and fades with those irons, it will not be any easier with new irons. I say lessons first.

I agree with you 100%. If something isnt working in your game lessons will help much more than new.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I agree with you 100%. If something isnt working in your game lessons will help much more than new.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Completely agree with both of you. However, if you must have a new set of clubs, I would say the G15's. Those clubs were almost like cheating when I hit them at the last 2 demo days I went to.

I agree with the lessons. You have a pretty good set of irons already. I would take some lessons and when you get down a few strokes. Then maybe try some irons. I have the R9's and like them a lot.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

wilson staff Di 11's, Mizuno JPX 800/ MP-53, Nike VR split cavity, or maybe some boccieri heavy irons....

Goal and reward. Set a goal of say, breaking 90 or getting an 85 and then reward yourself with the irons. I do however know how hard it is to not buy when you have set your heart on a new set. I dont think its necessary for you to worry about shaping shots, its hard enough just to get it to fly straight. If you can hit the ball straight most of the time, your handicap will drop quickly. When you get to lower teens, then start with shaping shots. Golf is complicated enough as it is without complicating it further for yourself. How often do you really feel the need to gain that little bit by drawing/fading around a dogleg?

If I was forced to choose though, I would go with the Clevelands (I havent hit the G20's though), but I would still suggest you try some other clubs that are out there like the R11's.

I've got my eye on the Cleveland G16s and Ping G15s or G20s
All great clubs. If you're going Ping, make sure you give the i15's a try as well. I'm around your hcp, and I much preferred them over the G or K line.

In fact I wish I'd have purchased those over the MP53's I'm swinging at the moment. Sure I can hit 'em ok, but on days where the swing is off, the narrow sole is really punishing me.

I'll back up the other guys who said lessons, your swing is the most important component in working the ball. (it's fun trying to work the ball though isn't it lol) About the clubs you have listed, I would also try some others as well and get fit, if you're not brand biased there are some really cool irons coming out this fall and more next spring and it may be worth the wait.

Wow - thanks!

I'm definitely going to continue with lessons anyway - I get on well with my teacher, and am enjoying learning from him. He's already taken about ten strokes off my game and I see no reason why, if I work hard enough at it, I won't be playing off 15 by the end of the year. I went round my local parkland course in 90 today - and was flushing everything from 6i down, but on the two holes where I really needed to shape something round a tree (both from about 170 out) I tried and failed miserably. The funny thing is, I can shape a shot with my 3w and 5w pretty consistently. To the pro's credit, although they work at the range and are obviously incentivised to push equipment, he's never suggested I look at new irons, and when I tentatively brought it up a couple of weeks ago he said pretty much what most of you have said - get down to consistently shooting 85-87 and then look at a set that's more workable.

Thanks for the advice!

Back