A Message to ALL Newbies

2Shoes

Supports Team Hackers!
Reaction score
Handicap
Par 4's!
I'm fairly new to THP but LOVE IT. Let me give you a quick 411 about this site and what it can do for you... If you are truly researching equipment (i.e. a wedge), keep an open mind, meaning let yourself look at ALL the equipment in the category... I personally wouldn't have considered a Cleveland wedge...well because I was ignorant, and felt I was more of a certain "brand" guy. Get out there and judge for yourself.

Since I've been on here and took the time to look at everything, you can find guys/gals JUST LIKE YOURSELF and playing a the same level as you are. I've learned more here at THP in the short time I've been here than you can spending days and days scouring the net.

You'll find that people seem to be really honest with their opinions and very, very helpful when you ask the "veterans" of THP questions.

THP has made me TOTALLY rethink my equipment preferences and purchases.

To save you from the obvious question...no I'm NOT a paid actor and no I'm NOT sponsored by THP! LOL! Seriously...this is a REALLY FUN place to hang out!

It's really amazing how different we all view companies and their equipment. When I think Cleveland golf their wedges are the first thing that pops in my head.

Well said 2shoes!

I'm fairly new to THP but LOVE IT. Let me give you a quick 411 about this site and what it can do for you... If you are truly researching equipment (i.e. a wedge), keep an open mind, meaning let yourself look at ALL the equipment in the category... I personally wouldn't have considered a Cleveland wedge...well because I was ignorant, and felt I was more of a certain "brand" guy. Get out there and judge for yourself.

Since I've been on here and took the time to look at everything, you can find guys/gals JUST LIKE YOURSELF and playing a the same level as you are. I've learned more here at THP in the short time I've been here than you can spending days and days scouring the net.

You'll find that people seem to be really honest with their opinions and very, very helpful when you ask the "veterans" of THP questions.

THP has made me TOTALLY rethink my equipment preferences and purchases.

To save you from the obvious question...no I'm NOT a paid actor and no I'm NOT sponsored by THP! LOL! Seriously...this is a REALLY FUN place to hang out!

You are spot on here about the site, though I agree with tgtt I think first of clevelands wedges then the mind jumps to Mashie's.

Yep, when I think of Cleveland I think of their wedges 1st. Of course now their drivers, hybrids, fairway woods and irons are all items I would give careful consideration when purchasing new clubs. The one that stands out to me is the Nike Pro Combo testing, for some reason I never would have considered buying Nike clubs before that thread, but THP has again enlightened me as to looking at everything.
2Shoes statement "THP has made me TOTALLY rethink my equipment preferences and purchases." is spot on and I whole heartedly agree.

I agree! THP is a wonderful resource; it certainly has changed my equipment preferences and purchases. I am learning so much, and from people who are not trying to sell me anything. I also like the mix of a forum (where everything is online) and a few events (where we have an opportunity to meet in person and play a few rounds of golf.)

Well, I will spare you guys seeing me play in person, however, I have in fact played golf for over 30 years off and on and be away from the game for a while. I always thought of Cleveland as a tier 2 OEM, even though pros played them... I always thought of Mizuno the same... I remember when Odyssey first came out and I thought they were a budget club. Since, these OEM have spent tons of cash in R&D and now are on the front lines of the game in some instances. Again I say, I would have NEVER considered these names until I read either testing info, user reviews, or just caught some banter from low HC'ers and noticed in their sigs that they game said equipment. (Which by the way for me says VOLUMES for the OEM). This site has opened my eyes to golf in 2011 and that there's equipment for every single golfer at every single level. I know full well that there are other sites similar to this one, but I now use THP exclusively because I personally feel that there's honest posts here. I've seen guys disagree whole heartedly in a testing forum, no sales pitch, just their opinion, experiences, and judgements...just like mine! After I felt the loyalty to THP, I've gone back to my facebook buddies and shared my experience about THP.

I've learned more here at THP in the short time I've been here than you can spending days and days scouring the net.
I am another newbie and I totally agree. I have never been able to hit 3wood but actually interested in trying 'Heavy' fairway wood because of THP testers. Can't wait til testing review of Adams a12os irons.

Very well said 2shoes. This is an amazing site. The reviews and testing threads are extremely helpful when looking at equipment.

yep i'm fairly new here and i love it aswell,already i've got my erse in gear and put new shafts on my irons and i've been looking at many more clubs where as before i would concentrate on a select few.great place!!!!!

You last 3 THP'ers are perfect examples of what I'm talking about, look at the WITB with you and I see plenty of opportunity. I am normally a one OEM type of guy...if I pick the :nike:, then I go with the swoosh....if I look at a :taylormade:, then I go :taylormade:...but that's all about to change...I mean really, I'm certainly not being sponsored by anybody...we except my new GCA sponsor (Golf Clubs Anonymous). I'm learning to pick sticks and balls based on what I need, not what I "think" will be what I want based on a popularity contest or an OEM spending huge coin to advertise the product to me. I've NEVER seen an advertisement that said, "Oh and this is where our equipment lacks...and you may not like how it feels either...plus the other OEMs have us hands down in this category".

Well said 2shoes, glad to have you here! With that kind of attitude all you need to do is stick around, stay active and ask questions in the testing threads and it won't be long until we are congratulating you for being chosen as a tester yourself!

Of course, I would expect nothing less from a fellow Texan! :D

bloody Texans!

Nah, look it's a simple equation: jump in, have fun, answer questions, share experiences, be honest, laugh at yourself. I promise to any new member that we are glad to have you here and that we don't bite.

Thanks TBT! You know, today I had the NEED to learn about bounce with wedges. I've looked all over the net and have located plenty of technical write ups, OEM descriptions, and other with regards to bounce... I made a post requesting someone to "dumb things down" for me. IN FAR LESS THAN 1 HOUR, I had my answer. Thanks again to Bigborgel for speaking my language and simply saying:

"The degrees of bounce you should consider for a SW depend upon the consistency of the sand where you regularly play, fluffy, sugar sand, need lots of bounce 14*, hard packed sand or thin sand , probably 8-10* should be enough. Your fairway wedges should typically have low bounce numbers, a high bounce wedge will sit up too high and cause bellied shots. Hope this helps. (Credit: Bigborgel)

That's it...no NASA explaination needed...no OEM test data....no "only get X brand cause they rock".... BOOM... now I know what 2Shoes needs to do when I begin the selection process...

By the way...in under 3 hours from the initial post, 3 other THP'ers thanked the 2 repsones I received for the explaination that it also answered the question for them as well saying things like "That has been a question in my mind to. Now i know and now i know why i skull my 60 deg off hard ground all the freaking time." (nickpergande).

I'm sure that like 2shoes I will learn a lot more than just checking posts from time to time. That's also how you get to gain experience as a tester. Show up on the site and the rest could be history! Looking forward to the next review of Adams Golf Equipment. That's what I think of - the top name to me in hybrid iron sets!

bloody Texans!

Nah, look it's a simple equation: jump in, have fun, answer questions, share experiences, be honest, laugh at yourself. I promise to any new member that we are glad to have you here and that we don't bite.

Ah.....TC......just when I thought I'd FINALLY found a forum I couldn't find you in.....I stand corrected..... Thanks man....I love following you MC'ers comments back and forth throughout this site.... You guys are flat out hilarious! (Speaking mostly from the Morgan Cup Bet thread!

Ah.....TC......just when I thought I'd FINALLY found a forum I couldn't find you in.....I stand corrected..... Thanks man....I love following you MC'ers comments back and forth throughout this site.... You guys are flat out hilarious! (Speaking mostly from the Morgan Cup Bet thread!

MC'ers suck, especially TC, that guy makes me so mad I could bite somebody.

MC'ers suck, especially TC, that guy makes me so mad I could bite somebody.

I assume you had to have some off the wall avatar for a couple weeks?

I assume you had to have some off the wall avatar for a couple weeks?

Nope, it was just a joke, I played in the MC with TC.

Thanks bro! We had fun. I think you're going to fit right in buddy.

well said 2shoes--lots of good stuff to learn here--not that any of it has helped my swing(yet)<lol>

TC stalks everybody is involved all over this forum.

bloody Texans!

You're such a wanna be Texan. Sorry bro you just can't be one. You have to be born and bred in Texas. But I still like you don't worry.

Wow this is well said. So many benefits to THP.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Totally agree with the OP. When it came to the Vision golf ball testing. If I would have found this ball in the woods I never would have given it a chance but the testing opened my eyes along with other stuff.

Back