Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Went out to one of the military courses around here today to play with some buddies. This course is really supper nice and a great layout with a total yardage of 6980 something from the tips. Well when we got there they only charged us half price and we thought they were just giving us a deal cause it was after 1. Well get on the first hole we all hit and then we notice they have a temporary green set up. Get to the next hole same thing. So we stopped one of the workers and asked about them. He told us that they have had temporary greens for a year now because they re-did all there greens. We were not to happy about this.

We decided to go back and ask for our money back because we did not want to play without real greens. They were nice and said no problem. I guess it is nice that they gave us the money back and that they are putting great effort into their course but it would have been nice to know before we went out there. Could have gone somewhere else.

Has anyone else played on temporary greens? Did we do the right thing by getting our money back or should we have just keep going?

What exactly are they? I am confused.. Are they grass or turf?

There are quite a few courses around here that had to put in a few temporary greens. We had a brutal summer with quite a few days of 95*+ and the greens just couldn't handle it. Most course started reseeding last month and just stuck a flag in front of the greens and mowed a little closer around it. You couldn't putt on it, so most people would play auto 2 putt or 6' gimmes. If the course had a lot of temporary greens then you probably did what just about everyone else has done. It sucks for the course owners, but it is what it is. I am a member at a course that has several right now and I have been playing elsewhere. The greens will come back this fall, as will I.

Its happened to a few courses here. They have done some decent ones. Personally I would have stayed & played. For the fun in it. Did you guys golf after that?

I've never played a full round of temp greens. Last time was a couple years ago when there was a hydraulic leak on four greens at the course I played. They had those four shut down for a while. We just played automatic two putts on them.

I've never played a full round of temp greens. Last time was a couple years ago when there was a hydraulic leak on four greens at the course I played. They had those four shut down for a while. We just played automatic two putts on them.

We did that on the Temps that were not really good to. It was still cool

What exactly are they? I am confused.. Are they grass or turf?

Pretty much something you want to avoid(unless their nice or at a nice course) they are in my experience just in a random spot/landing area and then not very well cut grass(short grass but not as good as a regular green) Just it's not very fun to putt on.

The course should of told you that they had temporary greens for all the holes. Glad they recognized their error and refunded your money.

I think at the very least they should have had a sign in the pro shop letting you know of the temporary greens. I've never played a full course of temporary greens, but my course has had to do one or two before...once when some kids got a truck on the course a did donuts on one of the greens.

I was actually in a group a couple of years ago where a guy made a hole in one on a temporary green on a par 4! The hole is normally 340 with a slight dogleg to the left...the last 30 yards yards are uphill so the green was moved up to the corner and was only about 285 out, downhill. He hit his drive and it landed short took a huge bounce and hit the temporary green...we found it in the cup when we got there.

We have a winter course that uses temps early spring and late fall. They suck, but not as bad as staying at home.

I don't think you were wrong. Plenty of other places you could spend your money right now.

Posted via Tapatalk

Our courses will be shutting down their greens/T-box's towards winter and have temps set up. It sucks, but allows us to play as long into the winter as we like. They simply shave a big circle of grass in front of the ladies tee's and in front on the regular greens making the course very short, but shouldn't have to worry about it for a while. I do have one course I can play that keeps theirs open until the course shuts down.

Our courses will be shutting down their greens/T-box's towards winter and have temps set up. It sucks, but allows us to play as long into the winter as we like. They simply shave a big circle of grass in front of the ladies tee's and in front on the regular greens making the course very short, but shouldn't have to worry about it for a while. I do have one course I can play that keeps theirs open until the course shuts down.

I guess that's the trade off for those 110* days we get in the middle of the summer.....GOLF ALL YEAR LONG! Last year I played Christmas day and New Year's Eve and New Year's Day...we get a few cold days but for the most part it's not too bad...the fairways will go dormant, but the overseed the greens and tee boxes with a winter rye grass so they stay serviceable all year long.

I guess that's the trade off for those 110* days we get in the middle of the summer.....GOLF ALL YEAR LONG! Last year I played Christmas day and New Year's Eve and New Year's Day...we get a few cold days but for the most part it's not too bad...the fairways will go dormant, but the overseed the greens and tee boxes with a winter rye grass so they stay serviceable all year long.

Nice. I wish our winters didn't last so long, but I'm not real sure I could handle or afford playing year round, lol. I know LIz would have problems with that, haha.

Played a nice course near Dayton a few weeks ago. We roll up to the 15th(?) hole and carved into a large rock is "Welcome to Walden Pond's Signature Hole". A nice little par 4, about 340 yards, that goes straight out about 325 then dog-legs left, over a creek and up a hill to the green. So we get there and look down the fairway and see a flag stick. Yep, temporary green on their signature hole. So we get to the green, and it's mowed about as short as a tight fairway. The cup is raised about an 1/8 of an inch above the surface, so actual putting was almost impossible. I hit a putt from about 3 feet, it hit the lip of the cup, bounced about 8 inches straight up, hit the pin and fell right into the cup, for par.

Played a nice course near Dayton a few weeks ago. We roll up to the 15th(?) hole and carved into a large rock is "Welcome to Walden Pond's Signature Hole". A nice little par 4, about 340 yards, that goes straight out about 325 then dog-legs left, over a creek and up a hill to the green. So we get there and look down the fairway and see a flag stick. Yep, temporary green on their signature hole. So we get to the green, and it's mowed about as short as a tight fairway. The cup is raised about an 1/8 of an inch above the surface, so actual putting was almost impossible. I hit a putt from about 3 feet, it hit the lip of the cup, bounced about 8 inches straight up, hit the pin and fell right into the cup, for par.

Don't forget to give yourself that 2 stroke penalty for hitting the pin with a shot struck from the green:alien:

My home course in high school had 3 one year. We played them in practice and got auto 2 putts and when we had matches we skipped those holes. We only played 12 holes in match play so it wasn't that bad. And the greens were great the next year

Like Hawk said.

In the winter yes, in the fall no.

I think a sign in the pro shop is a little too late. They should have notified you when you made the tee time. It's one thing to make the decision to play on temp greens, but it seems more than a little disingenuous to not mention it even when giving the discount. It may have been an honest mistake by the staff, but there was ample time to provide players notice before paying.

While that sucks, I've got about a month left to play before the courses around here start aerating their greens and the holes will stay there until spring as a result. It makes putting a haphazard thing since you could have a perfect line and the ball will jump out at the last second.

I've never played a temp green, but like others I'd probably go with the automatic 2 putt.

While that sucks, I've got about a month left to play before the courses around here start aerating their greens and the holes will stay there until spring as a result. It makes putting a haphazard thing since you could have a perfect line and the ball will jump out at the last second.

I've never played a temp green, but like others I'd probably go with the automatic 2 putt.

I have played on just a couple of courses that had maybe one or two temp greens. I understood the reasons why, but they didn't tell us when we booked the tee times or when we started. As long as there are not more than 1 or 2, I will understand, but TELL US.

I also booked a 3 day golf trip and wasn't told that they were aerating their greens. I was really p*ssed!!! It was a nice resort with great amenities, but SERIOUSLY!!!. It didn't completely ruin the trip, but we will never go back there again.

I haven't played on temp greens, but I have played at a course where all par-4's and 5's have two greens - I guess alternating them keep the greens in pretty good condition year round. It just sucks that I always hit the wrong green somehow....

I haven't played on temp greens, but I have played at a course where all par-4's and 5's have two greens - I guess alternating them keep the greens in pretty good condition year round. It just sucks that I always hit the wrong green somehow....
I've never played at a course that had that!

I've never played at a course that had that!
Yeah it's a bit weird. I remember on one of the holes where there was a semi-blind approach shot with a tree in between. I saw the edge of the green and fired away, only to have landed on the "inactive" green...

9th hole has one right now. "Green" is in middle of fairway on a par 3 hole about 80 yards out. I hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think the main problem here is they never told you before hand.when you're paying that kind of money you should be told,even if they are giving you a discount.when i played the carrick earlier this year they told us everything that was going on with them top dressing some of the greens etc.they were still super slick!!!

question for you though,if they had told you that they were on temporary greens would you of played with the discount?

Back