Boccieri Heavy Hybrid Review

Thanks guys.

I hate to sound like a broken record or recommend somebody just buy a club without trying it, but this is one that I just can't help but think would be a great addition to many bags.

I feel the same way about the driver dude. I just cant say enough about it.

Thanks guys.

I hate to sound like a broken record or recommend somebody just buy a club without trying it, but this is one that I just can't help but think would be a great addition to many bags.

You know, I didn't love the driver for my swing at the time I tested it. I'd be very curious to see what I think about it now.

I agreed with Thainer in the irons thread about availability of their product line at more stores and found this demo days link on their website with some upcoming opportunities to see & hit hopefully the entire line in person: http://www.boccierigolf.com/buzz/demo-days/

Thanks for sharing that!

I sort of alluded to this last week, but was a bit scared to post it. It's possibly the most annoying equipment cliche ever, but I'm going to write about it since I haven't yet.

I can workablity the ball with this club. I don't try to do it often, but I find myself in need of a shot that requires it at least once or twice a round. I can hit the club high or low and hit a draw or fade with the Heavy if needed. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Yesterday I was 10 feet behind a small tree that was directly in between me and the green. My only real shot was to hit it to the right and draw it back. I was able to pull it off, but missed the green by a few feet. It was the right distance, just needed more of a hook than a draw. Still, the fact I was able to come close was impressive.

My other workablitity shot with this is the low punch that I either hit straight or fade (depending on my stance). I've never actually been able to successfully keep a hybrid low if needed. I'm talking like 5 feet off the ground or lower. In the past, I had to use an iron for that task. It's a pretty simple with the Heavy. Ball back, choke up, abbreviated swing with a limited follow through. I open my stance to cut across the ball if I want it to slice or fade. It's saved me many, many times.

I sort of alluded to this last week, but was a bit scared to post it. It's possibly the most annoying equipment cliche ever, but I'm going to write about it since I haven't yet.

I can workablity the ball with this club. I don't try to do it often, but I find myself in need of a shot that requires it at least once or twice a round. I can hit the club high or low and hit a draw or fade with the Heavy if needed. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Yesterday I was 10 feet behind a small tree that was directly in between me and the green. My only real shot was to hit it to the right and draw it back. I was able to pull it off, but missed the green by a few feet. It was the right distance, just needed more of a hook than a draw. Still, the fact I was able to come close was impressive.

My other workablitity shot with this is the low punch that I either hit straight or fade (depending on my stance). I've never actually been able to successfully keep a hybrid low if needed. I'm talking like 5 feet off the ground or lower. In the past, I had to use an iron for that task. It's a pretty simple with the Heavy. Ball back, choke up, abbreviated swing with a limited follow through. I open my stance to cut across the ball if I want it to slice or fade. It's saved me many, many times.

Seriously making me want to grab the 3H from Boccieri.

I know what you mean about being able to work the ball. With the Heavy 3 Wood, I have been able to hit a "stinger" type shot with it, that I have never been able to do with a 3 Wood. Keep it low, right at line drive level, and keep it under the wind. Same type grip/stance you were talking about, just a bit harder swing. If I can hit the hybrid like I can the 3 Wood, there is no doubt I would buy it.

I spent a couple months playing this course that is basically fairways surrounded by trees and had to hit that low shot far more than I wanted to. I've never been able to keep it as low as I can with this club and that's really been a lifesaver for me.

I spent a couple months playing this course that is basically fairways surrounded by trees and had to hit that low shot far more than I wanted to. I've never been able to keep it as low as I can with this club and that's really been a lifesaver for me.

You got me thinking about this club too, and my experiences with the heavy 3w so far only push that further along. I wonder if I could hit low shots with the heavy 3h. About the only club I can consistently keep down and out of the wind is my putter. lol

Seriously making me want to grab the 3H from Boccieri.

I know what you mean about being able to work the ball. With the Heavy 3 Wood, I have been able to hit a "stinger" type shot with it, that I have never been able to do with a 3 Wood. Keep it low, right at line drive level, and keep it under the wind. Same type grip/stance you were talking about, just a bit harder swing. If I can hit the hybrid like I can the 3 Wood, there is no doubt I would buy it.

+1 to that. There is actually a demo day about 25 miles from me this Saturday but I can't make it. Hybrid is listed for only $159 on their site...I think as soon as a few things sale then I will probably take the risk and order the 3H.

+1 to that. There is actually a demo day about 25 miles from me this Saturday but I can't make it. Hybrid is listed for only $159 on their site...I think as soon as a few things sale then I will probably take the risk and order the 3H.

That's a good deal for the Heavy Hybrid. I need to off load a few things in order to pick this one up myself.

Cookie, I've been reading about your hybrid situation and think this could be very good for you. It has a great feel/sound and it very predictable. No army golf from my experience.

Cookie, I've been reading about your hybrid situation and think this could be very good for you. It has a great feel/sound and it very predictable. No army golf from my experience.

Thanks buddy; I do appreciate that! Now to sell a few things and I will own one of these - done deal.

I also love the thought of chipping with this; I tried it a few months ago and had great success as well - very predictable.

I've never really spent much time doing that as I'm pretty comfortable with my normal method, but I wouldn't doubt it would perform well in that situation with a little practice.

Hawk, I am sure you have posted this before, but would you mind posting what your mis-hits with the Heavy Hybrid are?

You got me thinking about this club too, and my experiences with the heavy 3w so far only push that further along. I wonder if I could hit low shots with the heavy 3h. About the only club I can consistently keep down and out of the wind is my putter. lol

It's been that for me personally. WAY easier to keep down and has had a true penetrating flight for me from day one. Its a windy day lifesaver so far.

These hybrids are winners, WINNERS! Another case for I wish they were easier for people to find and try out easier so people could see what I've seen.

Surely.

I tend to either thin the ball or push it if I miss. Thin shots aren't bad since they still go a good ways out there. Just not as high or as far in my experience.

The push is an annoying miss as it's so close to being a good shot, but just not quite there. I actually hit one yesterday on the 18th hole that was about 20 yards to the right of the green I was aiming at. I was very annoyed at that time, so I grabbed a couple balls to see if I could get it straightened out. Instead, I hit cleaner, farther pushes haha. Not sure what the problem was, but I was tired and not really swinging anything well at that point.

It's been that for me personally. WAY easier to keep down and has had a true penetrating flight for me from day one. Its a windy day lifesaver so far.

These hybrids are winners, WINNERS! Another case for I wish they were easier for people to find and try out easier so people could see what I've seen.

Agreed!

Surely.

I tend to either thin the ball or push it if I miss. Thin shots aren't bad since they still go a good ways out there. Just not as high or as far in my experience.

The push is an annoying miss as it's so close to being a good shot, but just not quite there. I actually hit one yesterday on the 18th hole that was about 20 yards to the right of the green I was aiming at. I was very annoyed at that time, so I grabbed a couple balls to see if I could get it straightened out. Instead, I hit cleaner, farther pushes haha. Not sure what the problem was, but I was tired and not really swinging anything well at that point.

Interesting how similar the Hybrid is to the Heavy Wood. Now, only need to find a place that carries the Heavy Hybrid.

Interesting how similar the Hybrid is to the Heavy Wood. Now, only need to find a place that carries the Heavy Hybrid.

I emailed them asking if they were in any "brick & mortar" stores and less than 90 minutes later, I received this reply:

"I wish I could say the swing clubs are on all of the floors, but they
are not. We are offering a 30 day full refund if you are interested in
trying them out. Free shipping to consumers."

With that said, I will be ordering one very soon.

Tappin' from my iPad!

That's really great to hear. I think that's the next best thing. Thanks for sharing that.

Dang you Hawk!! Just cost me $159!! Ordered the Heavy Hybrid 20 degree in regular flex shaft. Hoping to have by my Saturday tee time.

In all seriousness, thanks for your thorough review and answering our questions!

Dang you Hawk!! Just cost me $159!! Ordered the Heavy Hybrid 20 degree in regular flex shaft. Hoping to have by my Saturday tee time.

In all seriousness, thanks for your thorough review and answering our questions!

Im jealous Cook, very jealous. I may have to pull the trigger as well. Between what Hawk has told us, and my experience with the Heavy 3 Wood, I think I need to pick this up. Let me know your thoughts once you get it in hand.

Nice job, mcook!!

Im jealous Cook, very jealous. I may have to pull the trigger as well. Between what Hawk has told us, and my experience with the Heavy 3 Wood, I think I need to pick this up. Let me know your thoughts once you get it in hand.

Yep - you know I will! Videos and all! :D

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back