Speed without control

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
I posted a bit earlier about Callaway offering to replace my broken FT-Iz with either Razr Hawk or Octane. I had the chance to try out both models in the i-mix version here and 'discovered' something very interesting.

I have been trying to get more swing speed with the longer lighter shafts, using the L5V and a 46.5" shaft, the Xl270 46.25" shaft, and the Adams G4 46.25" shaft. All these work as advertised clearly increasing my SS to over 90mph on the simulator. I have been happy to see 90+ for the SS but have still been frustrated with my actual driving results.

The i-mix versions of the Callaway drivers measure in at 45". So I went to really test the feel and dispersion numbers, figuring the distance would be better with the stock 46" when I finally make the choice.

And what did I find? SS did come down with the shorter heavier shafts I tried, but my ball speed for both the Octane and the Hawk were up- way up- over 125mph. My distance went up and my dispersion was much much better.

At 45", the Octane armed with a Fubuki and the Razr Hawk equipped with an Epic were significantly better then anything I have used in a long while.

I have not made a choice yet- but it looks like I have MUCH better control with the shorter heavier shafts which is giving me higher ball speeds with lower swing speeds.

Speed without control is useless. I have been focusing on the wrong speed stat. Ball speed is where its at!

Callaway has offered to put in a custom shaft for me for a small extra fee. So I am thinking of dropping to 45".

Still can't decide on the Octane/Fubuki or the Hawk/Epic......

How much of a difference was there in distance/ dispersion between the razr and the octane?

You are getting more ball speed because you are hitting the middle of the face more frequently. Everything else falls in line after that. I had similar difficulties with the Cleveland XL270, swing seeds of nearly 105, but subpar accuracy and ball speed for a 105 SS (140s). My understanding is SS X 1.5 is a rough estimate of expected ball speed. Sure I will be corrected on this.

Yours is a great example of shafts that are too long and the overemphasis on swing speed. Wish I could recommend which driver. I'd go with what gives you the greatest confidence at address if all else is equal.

How much of a difference was there in distance/ dispersion between the razr and the octane?

Not much honestly. I found the spin numbers lower on the Hawk and it took me a bit longer to get the right head/shaft combination to feel comfortable (11.5*/Epic). The Octane felt more powerful and was a bit more forgiving for me right from the start, I ended up with a 10.5*/Fubuki. My shots with the Octane were pretty much down the middle with an occasional fade. Shots with the Razr Hawk were more to the left but well grouped. Ball speed was almost identical. I was getting about 3500 backspin with the Octane, a bit less with the Hawk which resulted in more carry for the Octane, but pretty similar overall distance on both.

No ballooning at all with either club and that was a surprise as it is something I struggle with and because these are both shallower faced drivers then what I am used to playing.

I am leaning towards the Octane because of the extra forgiveness- but keep in mind this is at a 85-90 SS and someone that is not at the level to be able shape shots off the tee. They are both worth testing out. I still can't get over how much my ball speed and control improved with the 45" shafts.

I am going to try them again over the weekend- and bring along my 7 iron just to be sure the simulator is giving me real numbers.

Got a headache reading hehe.Good Luck .Glad they are working with you!!!

And the winner is..... The Octane 10.5. For me, better forgiveness, better ball speed and just felt 'easier' and more powerful to swing than the Razr. My new club is one the way!

Thanks again Callaway! First class service.

And the winner is..... The Octane 10.5. For me, better forgiveness, better ball speed and just felt 'easier' and more powerful to swing than the Razr. My new club is one the way!

Thanks again Callaway! First class service.

You wont regret it. I gamed it for awhile, it is a great driver.

I had been working on increasing my swing speed using a training aid thinking it would increase my distance. It didn't. My game went South to the point I couldn't even hit a short iron with any consistency. It wasn't until, out of despiration, I slowed way down and focused on ball contact that my game came back. I have since put all of my efforts into perfect balance and smooth tempo and guess what? I gained two clubs in distance and more accuracy too.

Tempo is what gives you control even at higher speeds. Hitting the sweet spot is important but hitting the sweet spot while swinging fast is doable with good consistent tempo.

I think everyone gets caught up in thinking higher swing speed equates to more distance. Many things factor into why one person hits a given driver x number of yards, while another person hits it further with the same swing speed.

I think the OEM's and the professional tours make us search for distance when we would be better served searching for accuracy.

Back