Garmin Watch GPS S1 Review

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I purchased this GPS watch because I was quite interested in how it would work and thougth it could actually speed up the pace of play as well. After using it for about 4 rounds I thought it was time to post my review in case others are thinking about the device.

Out of the Box Set Up

Very easy to set up. I plugged in the charger and attached to watch to it and in about 3 hours it was fully charged. The specs in the booklet say the watch will run for 3 weeks w/o charge. The GPS unit is good for 8 hours which will get you through a round for sure. Attaching the charger to the watch required a bit of adjusting at first, but now it is second nature.

Features

1. Wrist Watch which works just like any other timepiece.

2. Starting a round. All you do is push the OK/Menu button and the Start A Round prompt will come up. Then press OK button and it automatically recognizes which course you are on. Select OK again and it brings up the hole you are starting on. Garmin says they have 14,000 or so courses.

3. The device gives you the front/middle/back for each hole. It does not provide exact yardges however to the pin. I compared it with Bushnell Range finder and found it to be very accurate. Of course the range finder was spot on. The Garmin S1 was sometimes off 3 to 5 yards but that is because it was giving F/M/B yardages and the Bushnell was hitting the pin. For those who don know, I love my Bushnell, but I did not find the yardage differences with the Garmin affected my club selection at all.

4. You can measure each shot on the Garmin by pressing the menu button and once the Measure Shot prompts comes up you press again. One you arrive at the ball you see the yardage on the screen. Press Ok again and you are back at the yardage to the pin.

5. Odometer: You can set the odometer to see how far you walk. I tried this a few times and it showed I walked 5.5 miles on one course and 5.8 on another.

6. Alarm: it has an alram but I have not tried to use it.

7. It is waterproof so you dont have to worry about it getting wet.

Negatives

The only thing I found bothersome was when you shut the device off you have to push the Power button, select shut down, and then push the OK button. That is three buttons to just turn off the devices. The battery life seems good and I have not had any issues with it at all.

I called Garmin and asked them what happens if the watch strap were to break. They told me they had never had one to break in over a year. However, if did it you can send it back and they replace the band or do any other type of service for about $50.00.

Overall

I have been extremely impressed with this device. I do still enjoy having my Rangefinder for those "how far to carry the sand trap" kind of shots. However, this devices is easy to read, very light weight. I dont even know its on my wrist because its so comfortable. As for pace of play. It does speed up the play because I am not shooting a distance at every shot. I simply look at my wrist, select a club and swing. I wore the watch all day Friday and then played a round of golf and still had half the battery left. Thus far I have absolutely zero complaints.

Take care,

SeeMoreGuy

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Outstanding write up SMG!! I have been interested in this since I saw something online about it. Seems to do the exact same thing as my Bushnell Neo gps but I like that I can wear it and have it very handy.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Cool device, but even when I did wear a watch, I had to take it off when I played golf. This would definitely not work for me.

Great write up SMG! This looks really cool, but I cant stand to wear a watch during a round. Drives me crazy.

It never got in the way of my swing. I thought it was going to bother me too but so far no issues.

It never got in the way of my swing. I thought it was going to bother me too but so far no issues.

Interesting. May have to check one out, in that case.

good review and very interesting product.

I really like this idea, and the fact that the watch didnt bother you during the round means its for sure going to be on my radar. Thanks for the excellent review

Very nice SMG. I'll be honest, when I saw the pics at first I thought "boy that would be a pain and hard to work" alas with the review you showed otherwise. I REALLY have to get some type of range device but don't necessarily want to go "all in" on one. This really piqued my interests.

Thank you for the writeup SMG!

Thanks for the review! It's fantastic! I've been looking to ask for a GPS/rangefinder for Christmas, and this seems like a good one. I already wear a watch while playing, so no bother there.

I've had this for about 8 months now and can't say anything bad about it. I keep looking for something not to like, but it's just so convenient it's crazy!

Great review SMG! These actually caught my eye when they were released, but I had been reluctant to try one since I don't like wearing a watch to golf. May have to try one out at some point.

nice, thanks. i really want one of these. i just dont want to spend $250 on one. i am not a fan of traditional devices as i dont want to have to carry something with me and this fits the bill, plus i dont really need all the other fussy stuff. just front, center, back please.

hmm, Xmas gift?

thanks again!

Nice review. I looked hard into this one but they only have courses for the US and Canada so it's basically useless for me. Ended up just using the Golfshot iphone app.

Sounds like a cool/interesting product. Nice review!

Very cool SMG, not a bad looking product at all. Sounds just as accurate as most stand along GPS devises and can't beat having it on your wrist. I just have one on my phone running my batteries down and sliding off the seat half the time, I like this much better.

Very nich write up. Sounds like a good piece of equipment to use .Thanks for the review

Nice review. I looked hard into this one but they only have courses for the US and Canada so it's basically useless for me. Ended up just using the Golfshot iphone app.
Where are you? You know you can put that in your profile.

Great review. I have been wondering how well they work. I don't ever wear a watch when I play so I don't know if I could get used to one of these or not. I think I may try wearing a normal watch during my next few rounds just to see if I could even play with one.

I'm in Hong Kong so I'm definitely out of luck with this one. I can't even get the detailed aerial view with golfshot as google maps can't zoom in to that level here... the closest we get is like this.

Great write up.

A friend of mine bought one about a month ago and he says that he finds it far more convenient than a normal GPS. The only down side he has found is that when not on your home track it would be useful to know the 'to hazard' distances.

I've had one of these for a couple of months now and it's by far the best GPS device I've had. No messing around looking for GPS in your bag when you want to know shot distances it's just a quick glance down and you know exactly what you've got to go to the front, middle and back of the green.

My only negative comment is the battery life which is OK, but if the device isn't fully charged your not going to get a full 18 holes of golf out of it. Leaving it switched on and just in time mode seems to drain the battery much quicker than I thought it would. I charged mine last week and disconnected it on Friday night ready for Sat morning leaving the time on the screen, and it dies half way through the 17th hole on the Sat :(

Sorry to hear about the battery issue Mav. I have not experienced that problem. I charged mine, wore it all day in time mode and then played a round of golf and still had half my battery left.

Makes me think there may be something worng with mine - don't think I am getting anywhere near that sort of usage time :(

Back