Stableford scoring

Anders73

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm probably being a) a bit lazy and b) a bit thick but can someone please explain stableford scoring in a very simplistic manner. I kind of get it but would just like it clarified as I'm sick of asking half way round the course what score I'm on and would like to work it out myself.

I think it's something like you get 5 points for eagle, 2 points for birdie, 0 for par and -1 for bogey or worse. You can get double eagles, maybe those are 8 points?

Once you are sure to get a bogey, just pick up your ball.

But I bet each event can make each score be whatever they want; I doubt points are set in stone. Just get a list of the scoring so you'll know.

Here's what wikipedia has for professinal tournaments:

+8 points
Albatross (3 strokes under par)
+5 points
Eagle (2 strokes under par)
+2 points
Birdie (1 stroke under par)
0 points
Par
−1 point
Bogey (1 stroke over par)
−3 points
Double bogey or worse (2 strokes or more over par)

And http://www.mulligansoftware.com/golf/events/mod_stableford.html shows this chart:

2 or more over par
no points
1 over par (bogey)
1 point
par
2 points
1 under par (birdie)
4 points
2 under par (eagle)
6 points
3 under par
8 points

PGA should've left 1 event using that system. I like it.

It a point system that awards a predetermined value to pars, birdies, eagles, double eagles and subtracts for bogies and doubles.
The PGA used to have an event,the International, which used a modified stableford. Scoring is different and is based on what you decide to value scoring.

Kongfrontation

Stableford is very easy, once you get the hang of it.

Basically a 'par' (or equivalent par, when your handicap is taken into account) is 2 points, anything better is +1, anything worse is -1.

Your info thingy says you are a 27 h'cap, so you get a shot per hole and an extra one on the 9 most difficult holes. Lets say I am scratch ( :D ) and you and I are having a match, we are on the 3rd most difficult hole on the course. I score par and you score a bogey. For my par I got 2 points (since I am scratch ( :D ), and for your bogey (since you recieve 2 shots from your h'cap for that hole) you got the equivalent of a birdie, which would be 3 points.
So you can see that the benefit of this scoring system is that a (really) bad hole doesn't completley f your round up, because there isn't any score less than 0. If you miss your equivalent par by 4 strokes (a 10 on the 3rd most difficult hole on the course (hypothetically a par 4), for a 27 h'cap for example) you still only score 0.

That's how I do it anyway ;)

thats easy for me to calculate my score -2 times 18 is -36!!!! Putting me the lowest score thus winning the event!!!!!!!!!!

stableford i'm used to is;

triple bogey - no points (scratch)
double bogey - 1 point
bogey - 2 points
par - 3 points
birdie - 4 points
eagle - 5 points
hole in one (par 3) - 6 points

then you have to consider the HC, so i'm off 17 meaning on index 18 (easiest hole) i loose a shot and have to get a birdie to get 3 point as if i only par the hole i only get 2 points b/c i lost a shot due to my HC. alternatively if i was playing of a hc of 19 i get an extra shot on the index 1 (hardest hole) meaning if i shot a par i then get 4 points b/c of having the extra shot due to my h/c

Haha, well this makes me feel much better...seems to be a few different versions! No wonder I can't figure it out!

Haha, well this makes me feel much better...seems to be a few different versions! No wonder I can't figure it out!
As I said before, they have to have a printed scoring sheet to go off of. Just make sure you get one!

USGA rule 32-1 b defines stableford competition (fixed score is par)

The scoring in Stableford competitions is made by points awarded in relation to a fixed score at each hole as follows:
Hole Played InPoints
More than one over fixed score or no score returned0
One over fixed score1
Fixed score2
One under fixed score3
Two under fixed score4
Three under fixed score5
Four under fixed score6
The winner is the competitor who scores the highest number of points.

PGA should've left 1 event using that system. I like it.

Ditto man! My first ever live professional golf event and at an absolutely beautiful course!

It a point system that awards a predetermined value to pars, birdies, eagles, double eagles and subtracts for bogies and doubles.
The PGA used to have an event,the International, which used a modified stableford. Scoring is different and is based on what you decide to value scoring.

Kongfrontation

So so sad we don't have a PGA professional event in Colorado anymore. We get the occasional women's US Open now and the Solheim cup though in 2013 and the BMW Championship in 2014 so we're coming around a little bit.

To the OP though, I love the format of Modified Stableford which Smallville references in his posts. It is a very fun format to follow but it always has to be mentioned that positive points are good in this format!

Since 1931 Stableford scoring is as as follows (there is a modified version some pro tournaments use though).

2 or more over par-0 points
1 over par-1 points
Par-2 points
1 under par-3 points
2 under par-4 points
3 under par-5 points
and so on.

The points are for net scores therefore a player playing to his exact handicap will score 36 points.

Since 1931 Stableford scoring is as as follows (there is a modified version some pro tournaments use though).

2 or more over par-0 points
1 over par-1 points
Par-2 points
1 under par-3 points
2 under par-4 points
3 under par-5 points
and so on.

The points are for net scores therefore a player playing to his exact handicap will score 36 points.

this is how it works here in italy.
your NET par (including the extra shots your handicap gives you) will give you 2 points.

since you cannot post any scores out of officials tournaments, here in italy to get an handicap index you will have to post at least 36 points in a 18-hole round in a tournament.
otherwise your status will be N.C. (non classificato, or without an handicap index).

i have already tried three times now to get my handicap, and twice i ended up with 35 points... :banghead:

Ok, now can someone explain stroke index and how your handicap affects your score?

Stroke index is a measure of the difficulty of a particular hole, relative to the other holes on the course. 1-18, 1 being the most difficult and 18 being the easiest.

Your handicap gives you extra strokes, based on the difficulty of the hole. So an 18 handicap gets a shot on every hole, and a 30 handicap gets a shot on each hole, plus another shot on each of the 12 most difficult holes (holes with the S.I 1-12). So 'Par' on each hole is adjusted according to ones handicap. Adjusted par for a scratch player is par, and adjusted par for an 18 h'cap is bogey. That is to say, the scratch golfer gets 2 points for his/her par, and the 18 handicapper gets 2 points for their bogey.

Stroke index is a measure of the difficulty of a particular hole, relative to the other holes on the course. 1-18, 1 being the most difficult and 18 being the easiest.

Your handicap gives you extra strokes, based on the difficulty of the hole. So an 18 handicap gets a shot on every hole, and a 30 handicap gets a shot on each hole, plus another shot on each of the 12 most difficult holes (holes with the S.I 1-12). So 'Par' on each hole is adjusted according to ones handicap. Adjusted par for a scratch player is par, and adjusted par for an 18 h'cap is bogey. That is to say, the scratch golfer gets 2 points for his/her par, and the 18 handicapper gets 2 points for their bogey.

Thanks for that, get it now......I get a shot every hole and 2 on S.I. 1-9

this is how it works here in italy.
your NET par (including the extra shots your handicap gives you) will give you 2 points.

since you cannot post any scores out of officials tournaments, here in italy to get an handicap index you will have to post at least 36 points in a 18-hole round in a tournament.
otherwise your status will be N.C. (non classificato, or without an handicap index).

i have already tried three times now to get my handicap, and twice i ended up with 35 points... :banghead:

I'd be certain you need to card actual strokeplay comps to count for handicap, certainly in the UK you need 3 cards and 1 must be from the competition tees.

USGA rule 32-1 b defines stableford competition (fixed score is par)

The scoring in Stableford competitions is made by points awarded in relation to a fixed score at each hole as follows:
Hole Played In
More than one over fixed score or no score returned
One over fixed score
Fixed score
One under fixed score
Two under fixed score
Three under fixed score
Four under fixed score

The winner is the competitor who scores the highest number of points.

This is certainly how we do it at my Golf Club.

I'd be certain you need to card actual strokeplay comps to count for handicap, certainly in the UK you need 3 cards and 1 must be from the competition tees.

here in italy, most amateur competitions are now played stableford, except for a very few. and, even if the competition is medal, handicap variations are calculated on the equivalent stableford results.
the problem is that the italian federation has decided that Extra Day Scores will not be valid for handicap, even if the EGA states that

The EGA strongly recommends the National Associations to adopt Extra Day
Scores over 9 or 18 holes as supplementary scores for handicapping purposes.

also, if you have no handicap yet you will not be accepted to most of week-end competitions.

Stableford is also the most common way to play here in Denmark. When asked about how it went out there, people will automatically just answer how many st. points they got. Upside is that it's good for pace of play, as you just pick up the ball and go to the next tee when you know you won't get any points. Downside is that you rarely get to know your actual score (# of strokes) as there will usually be a couple of striked holes.

Stableford is also the most common way to play here in Denmark. When asked about how it went out there, people will automatically just answer how many st. points they got. Upside is that it's good for pace of play, as you just pick up the ball and go to the next tee when you know you won't get any points. Downside is that you rarely get to know your actual score (# of strokes) as there will usually be a couple of striked holes.

i agree.
as (basically) a beginner i think stableford has two big benefits.
the first, as you pointed out already, is speed of play.
but i also think that ON AVERAGE, and mostly for high handicappers, it is probably a better statement of someone's ability.

as an example (probably impossible, but just to make a point) consider two identical medal scores of, say, 90.
the first player, however, scored a bogey on every hole, whereas the second one scored par on all holes and +18 on just one (pretend he just went "tin cup" and stubbornly and repeatedly failed to carry a water hazard).

chances are the second player is actually much better than the first one, and their stableford results will indeed show the difference.

although, i look forward to being good enough to actually play medal, someday.

i agree.
as (basically) a beginner i think stableford has two big benefits.
the first, as you pointed out already, is speed of play.
but i also think that ON AVERAGE, and mostly for high handicappers, it is probably a better statement of someone's ability.

as an example (probably impossible, but just to make a point) consider two identical medal scores of, say, 90.
the first player, however, scored a bogey on every hole, whereas the second one scored par on all holes and +18 on just one (pretend he just went "tin cup" and stubbornly and repeatedly failed to carry a water hazard).

chances are the second player is actually much better than the first one, and their stableford results will indeed show the difference.

although, i look forward to being good enough to actually play medal, someday.

In the UK that +18 on one hole will for scoring purposes count as a net double bogey so effectively the round would be counted as 2 or 3 over par, if you play off 18 that round would see your handicap cut by 5 strokes rather than stay the same

over here in britain mate(maybe the same elsewhere) is

for your net scores so if you are stroking at a hole you take the stroke away and that is your net score.

eagle:4 pts
birdie:3 pts
par:2 pts
bogey:1 pt
d/bogey:0 pts

an albatross would be 5 pts if it happened.you can also pick your ball up at a hole if you like and it won't mess up your whole round,you will just not score on that one hole.

Back